Team Camaro Tech banner

78 z28 won't start??

10K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  meanchevelle 
#1 ·
Call me new. I have my 1st camaro and I need some assistance. My car just wouldn't start one day. starter is new, wanna do it myself. I need some help.. :clonk:

#2 ·
Greetings, and welcome to Team Camaro

Even though this is primarily a 1st gen camaro site I believe there is more than enough combined knowledge here to help you out. :thumbsup:
We will need to gather more information though.
Does the engine crank over, fuel getting to the carb, condition of Distributor cap and Rotor. Spark to the cylinders ext... I my self used to have a 79 TransAm. One day in the country she just died on me. It cranked over but would not start.
Later I found the rotor went bad.
It was a easy fix but ruined a hot date. LOL!
My date that night thought I was pulling the old ran out of gas routine.
Never dated that girl again and later sold the TransAm. :sad:

#3 ·
No the engine isn't doing anything. I am almost positive that fuel is getting to the carb
distributor and rotor are fine I had taken her into a shop that works on high performance engines not more than a month before, also plugs are fine. What I am
thinking it may possibly be is a connection between theignition and something. All connections from battery are good. I had it all replaced when I bought the car. The battery has juice everything else works. I am just tired of people trying to charge me way too much and know I am capable of doing it myself with a little help. Don't really know where to start.
Jenny33

#4 ·
if it isn't "doing anything" as in you have power but the motor doesn't spin when you turn the key, first thing I'd check is the nuetral safety switch. try jiggling the shifter while you turn the key, and putting the car in nuetral instead of park. Look for a switch with 2 big purple wires, either attached to the gearshift or on top of the steering column under the dash.

#5 ·
This situation reminds me of a recent problem with my brother in-laws GMC Sonoma. One day it just quit starting. Would not crank over. Well it was recently in a service shop for a rear block freeze plug replacement. Well upon inspection, they took care of that problem but left a couple of new ones for us. They dropped the exhaust manifold and when upon replacing it they only put 2 of the 3 exhaust pipe bolts back on, looks like they stripped the threads and they did not retighten the transmission bolt either. Just left them hanging loose.
Anyways I dropped the starter and tested it with the GMC's battery. Seemed to work fine. So I looked at the battery and ignition leads at the starter.
Seems like someone replaced the Ignition lead ring terminal, and did a crappy job at best. I replaced the Ignition ring terminal and put it all back together.
My brother in-law has not had a starting problem to date since.

Its reasons like these why I do most of all my own work on my cars and reinspect any vehicle that I may send to a service shop if I have to.

#7 ·
I got a message from jimM also and now have a few things to try. I am currently away from my car, and am heading back to bring her to where I am soon. I totally appreciate the input you guys have given. Although my car isn't as beautiful as yours I still love her so very much, and definately have to get her going she is an extension of me. Thanx again.
Jenny33

#8 ·
I thought I would throw this in -it may or may not apply! If your Z is an automatic and has aftermarket headers on it -it is probably very possible that the linkage TOO the neutral safety switch is disconnected. The switch is activated through linkage that turns a drum on your steering column. With the linkage disconnected it is possible that the drum got turned just a bit and isn't allowing the car to start. (I found this out when I owned a 78Z) If this is the case, you can grab hold of the steering column in the area just before it goes into the dash and turn it -It should also control the PRNDL indicator that is on your insturment panel. I used to use it as a theft deterent on my car. When I would park it I would just grab the drum and turn it all the way to the left thus locking out the ignition! I don't know if this applies to you in any way but I thought I would suggest it.

#9 ·
you could drop your starter run it down to autozone,and have it checked. also the silinoid maybe stuck.a few taps with a hammer that normally gets you down the road. and becuase i didnt hear any explaining of any noises you heard, does the car just click click or sound more like grinding,if any noise at all. maybe state where you are from or where car is located you may have someone here willing to help show you whats up, so u can get on the road agian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.