Team Camaro Tech banner

Your opinions on this camshaft

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Fuji 
#1 ·
I've got this friend that gives me this brand new camshaft for free, and I wondered if you could give me your opinions on how it would perform on my pocket-ported vortec-headed, 5.7" rods 406 cid, Weiand #7546 open-plenum intake, headers, 700 cfm Holley carburettor, 10.1 cr.

The cam specs are:
Lift I/E: 468/480
Duration @.006: 304º/287º
Duration @.050: 220º/231º
IVO: 46º IVC: 78º
EVO: 73º EVC: 34º
Lobe C/L: 110º
Overlap: 80

Is this a good option for a nice manual gearboxed street car? What differential ratio would you suggest for occasionally motoring? Your guess on power?

I'm taking it anyway but just wanted to know if it's worhtwhile to put in this motor.

Thanks indeed,

JorgeMR

See less See more
#2 ·
It is a bit on the small side for a 400, but should make very strong torque and pull well to about 5K or so. Also, if you are going to use vortec heads, you will be much better off getting a dedicated vortec intake. Old style intakes like the 7546 weiand do not match the ports well and many of them do not seal well on the vortec heads at all.

#3 ·
I'd pass on it real fast. With a 78 degree intake closing and 80 degrees of overlap, you're going to need a lot more than 10:1 compression to make it work at all. Idle quality and street manners will be terrible. It looks like a lift-rule circle track or stock eliminator cam. Just my $.02.

#5 ·
220/231@.050 isn't exactly big. It looks like a off the shelf speed-pro grind to me. Older design perhaps because of the long seat timing, but the .050 numbers are well in the streetable range.

#6 ·
Thank you very much for your inputs on this.

Certainly this is a hydraulic Speed Pro camshaft PN CS1062R.

As per your views, I think I will take it (it's at home now!) as it's for free and try to sell it later on.

As usual, I appreciate your kind responses and your constant disposition to help.

Yours,

Jorge MR

#7 ·
Boy, I missed this one??

Guy's, why would they make a cam like this??

Long advertised duration numbers, modern 110 degree LCA thing, but yet a shorter exhaust event then intake, but yet more exhaust lift than the intake????

I've seen spec's on lower exhaust lift but longer duration, exhaust vs intake but not the other way???? I think they said it was a way to take heat off the exhaust valve springs so they wouldn't fatigue as fast???

Anybody got a reason why they made it this way??

Harold, are you around??

pdq67

#9 ·
Travis,

I hear what you are saying about .050 duration, but keep in mind that an engine doesn't "see" .050 duration - only valve opening and closing points. Believe me,
with 80 degrees of overlap and a 78 degree intake closing point this cam will be a disaster in a 10:1 street motor. Run it through Pat Kelley's DCR calculator - 7.2 DCR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.