Team Camaro Tech banner

Have A "U" In my 67 camaro

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  68 Ragtop 
#1 ·
hello,
I inherited a 67 camaro vin 12x377U10xxxx. I have done a lot of research and found this car to have been built in sept of 1966 which was before norwood was fully of line producing camaros according to everything I have read. This is the first Camaro I have found with a "U" in the VIN. I have even checked the two other hiden partial numbers and came up with the same. The door post vin has the rosette rivet and same 7U10 vin number. Any thoughts?

#4 ·
have you ever seen a "U" in a camaro VIN? Last time I gave a full VIN someone used it to register there car and I ghad a hard time with mine. had to have the police come and verify my vin and then send it off to the DMV and lost the org, VIN number. the x are other numbers

#5 ·
People post vin's here every day, I don't know how someone can use just any vin to register a car, you have to have a title to register a car and in most states a physical inspection is required to get a car title...

I have never seen a U on a Camaro vin it should be an L or N... As for Sept '66 production there were about 15,000 Camaros produced by the end of Sept '66 and I believe very early cars are known and have L or N in the vin.

Pictures of the VIN and Cowl Tag would go a long way in validating your car...

#7 ·
I might be very foggy when Im typing this... but I seem to recall that some cars that were originally shipped overseas to foreign countries, had their VIN assigned in that country when it arrived and used different letters than the typical N or L for cars sold in the U.S. Im betting Kurt or someone from CRG will have an answer to this but its perfectly ok to post VIN numbers here. They are visible from 68 forward in time thru the windshield anyway, people can see VIN's anytime they want. :)

#13 ·
Dennis, all Pontiac model VIN's started with the number 2, so a 1967 Firebird built in Lordstown should be 223377U (Coupe) or 223677U (Convertible). The Firebird format didn't use the engine designation like the Camaro did, so all Coupes were 22337 and all Convertibles were 22367 regardless of the engine. The engine designation was actually part of the last 6 numbers. 1xxxxx would be a V8 and 6xxxxx would be a 6 cylinder.

The decoder you linked to is correct, but a bit confusing.

Ed

#15 ·
DJD
I don't have the cowl tag just the vin tag on the door post. I will get a pic and send it out. I will also get a pic of the part. vin from the cowl. This has been driving me nut for several years. I have had local camaro nuts tell me this is a Firebird. Then I pull the how come the partial vin does not match any listing for six or eight cyl.engines. Also had someone tell me it was a Nova cowl and vin. well that does not decode well either.

#19 ·
Well, if the local Camaro nuts think it's a Firebird then perhaps it is. That is the most likely explanation, except the VIN should start with 2, not 1.

There are lots of differences between the Camaro and Firebird that Camaro nuts like us can discern. e.g., Firebirds have a different 3rd member, traction bar, cutouts in the rear panel for tail lights, gils in the quarter panel behind the doors, instrument panel, steering wheel, interior panels, etc. Something usually gets overlooked in the Firebird to Camaro conversion.

A few pics would go a long way in helping you out. We don't need the last couple VIN digits if you are worried about posting that, but we really need to see the rest to help any further. Missing trim tag is also common on the conversion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.