Team Camaro Tech banner

DIY paints for body

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cromedss 
#1 ·
Looking to see what paints are recommended if your painting in a garage (no booth) car is in NJ so it gets humid but the car will stay in a garage just a nice weekend driver. I had painted this in 1990 autoshop class and a nice booth with diamont system but the car stayed outside for 20 years and the clear and some paint cracked off so I want to do it over this time keep it indoors most of the time. Anything I should look for at a local paint shop or just go the online route? I wasn't going to take it down to bare metal we did that before catalyzed primer etc. Just wanted to sand it good primer/seal then more wet sanding etc and paint/buff. Any ideas would be helpful I wanted to do it back to black and white stripes so no cut in would be needed.

#6 ·
Go with urethane BC/CC if doing in a garage. You will be tempted to use a single stage (don't do it). Nothing wrong with single stage but much easier to sand through on edges, bodylines, ect with only 2~3 coats. BC/CC you can pile on the clear to sand all the trash out. I really like the SPI Universal Clear. Very user friendly and very easy to buff. I think they are even making base coat again. Many other good brands there too, just my $.02.

#7 ·
Does not make a difference if the SS and clearcoat mil thicknesses are the same. If the car is metallic it's pretty obvious the shoot BC/CC. Shot plenty of cars with SS Concept and never buffed through. Seen plenty of novices burn through BC/CC.

OP provides little paint failure details or products and procedures used 20 years ago. "Catalyzed primer" stated is vague.

#8 ·
Scott,

Certianly you can pull off the SS as you sound experienced in this area. I just did more or less what the OP is doing in my garage with SS Concept 9300. with 3 coats and trash/peel on body lines leaves very little margin for error (ask me how I know). I cut through several places wet sanding and ended up re-coating then cleared and had no issue after that. If I had it to do over again I would have used BC/CC. SS and metallics...forget it. Good luck OP, very rewarding seeing your work when done!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.