Team Camaro Tech banner

Fuel line too close to header?

17K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  gordr 
#1 ·
1969 Camaro, small block to big block conversion. I just ran a new fuel line from tank to engine (didn't have line when I got car). Can you tell from pics if the fuel line is too close to the headers? My concern is that it will heat the fuel in the line. Thanks for any feedback

Auto part Fuel line

Fuel line Auto part Tire Automotive tire Metal

See less See more
#3 ·
That looks pretty close to the header. Maybe a 1/4" or so. I would definitely wrap it in a good heat blanket material or do something to shield it from the heat from the headers. The good thing is it only looks close to the front primary tube so it shouldn't get as hot as if it was further back.

Mine was pretty tight also and I used one of the plug wire insulators over the fuel line. I don't have the car done yet so I cannot say well it works.

#4 ·
I just installed a new line front to back. I thought the front section up the inside of the frame rail was too close to my headers. I cut the line under the car just before it crosses over the frame rail into the engine compartment and made a new one from 3/8 x .035 alum. tubing. I ran the line on top of the subframe instead of along the side by the idler arm.

#8 ·
I thought the front section up the inside of the frame rail was too close to my headers. I cut the line under the car just before it crosses over the frame rail into the engine compartment and made a new one from 3/8 x .035 alum. tubing. I ran the line on top of the subframe instead of along the side by the idler arm.
I did something similiar except adapted the hard line to black braided hose to route it on top of the frame rail over to the Fuel Pump.

#6 ·
id' take a look at mcmaster carr for heat/fire resistant sleeves. they have many to choose from. you should be able to find something there that will work for your particular situation.

#7 ·
I thought mine was a bit too close also, so I ran it over the top of the frame rail instead of around the idler arm. Mine wasn't as close as yours by the engine mount / frame area so I left it there. I think fuel moving through it is going to keep it cool and with ceramic coated headers they don't get that hot, they keep the heat inside much better than uncoated.

#9 ·
Wrap the fuel line with some heat sheild. Don't know if you can see it from the regulator.

Attachments

#11 ·
Jay,

In my SS396 67 machine, my fuel line is about 1/8th of an inch from the header and my builder said wait til it becomes an issue before doing something about it. So, after 2 years of running in all kinds of hot 100 degree plus weather, nothing's ever happened. Yours is further away than mine so just leave it.

Gordon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.