Team Camaro Tech banner

'69 307 + 3 speed trans engine

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  6781camaro 
#1 ·
Have the opportunity to purchase an original and untouched '69 307 complete running engine mated to it's 3-speed manual trans. I want an original style drivetrain for my '68 V8 coupe to drive around town in--nothing crazy. Some blue smoke occassionally but runs great with good compression. Complete pan to carb and the air cleaner and distributor. Trans includes the shifter assy. The engine has never been opened and is from a 2-owner '69 coupe. What should I pay as a combo?

#2 · (Edited)
Man, I dunno Todd...not a real desirable set-up....and for your 68 !?!

Engine in need of a minor O/H atleast, trans I doubt he could give away....

Just guessin, maybe 200-250 ??

edit;not sayin the 307 with some minor tweeks and upgrades can't be a load of fun in an F-body:noway:....just sayin you shouldn't have to pay alot, as is. ;)

#3 ·
Agree with Garth, not a desirable engine, to say the least - 307 is a stroked 283 - 283 block with a 327 crankshaft/stroke.

As I remember, a gas hog, even with 2-bbl carb, maybe 12-14 mpg.
The three speed manual, at least it is a manual, and a last resort, something to fill the void between the engine and driveshaft.

Might do better to hold out for a 350.

#4 ·
Well-- since gas prices are not favorable right now, and I had no idea about it's inefficiency... plus how little demand there is for them... I think I'll pass. Thanks for the input/tips guys! :beers: He only wants $175 for both, which seems cheap, but if it's that weak of a set up, I think passing may be the right choice, no? yes?

I have a 350/350 combo that came with my '68 already. It was from a '75 LT350 Camaro and runs, but will need a top-end overall too-- plus a minor transmission refresh as well. I thought I could sell that and buy the 307-3-psd combo and pocket some cash by doing so... guess not huh? Okay!!! Thanks again...:beers: 350 it is!:cool:

#5 ·
I'd consider spending $175 on it just to get the alternator/power steering pump brackets, bellhousing, and other bits/pieces if you don't have those, but the engine and trans are basically worthless. I had a 307/3-speed in a 72 Camaro a while back, and it was a real dog.

#6 ·
I know... When you think about it, it's like paying 1969 prices actually. Maybe buy it, strip off what I need, then sell the block and trans? No cost to me in the end or maybe even a little profit? I'll have to ponder.... let's see what other opinions on it roll in for me.

#8 ·
I'd buy it for that price and store it away. You never know, maybe later in life you will want it for a project of some sort or use the parts.

#9 ·
Yea-- thanks guys! I'm picking them up (trans and motor) on Wednesday for sure. Just made the appointment and he's holding it for me. :thumbsup: Too good to pass up I think too...

Thanks again for the help everyone! :beers: I'll post some pics when I get it home. :cool: Here's a picture of it just before it was removed from the car.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.