Team Camaro Tech banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Body Cart/Jig Thread

28K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  clwilcox33 
#1 ·
So I have only been here a short while, but one of the questions that I have had, and the one that people have asked on here is:

How do I build a body cart/jig?

Well there is a multitude of information available, however, I thought I would start a thread where everybody can post pics and dimensions of your carts/jigs...

So... I'll start this dog and pony show off with my pics:
I measured my body and decided that since I knew I was going to replace the floor, I would need it to be at least as wide as the inner rockers so here it is started out:

The basic dimensions are 51" wide x 10' long. This gave me the length to align the forward subframe mounts with the forward rail and have about 3 inches from the tail pan. it is constructed of 1.5" squarae tubing wall thickness of 1/8". The casters are from Harbor Freight they work well for me... The cross member for the forward subframe mounts is made of 3/16" 2" angle iron.

I must stress the importance of making sure that the car is level before putting it on a jig, or if you build your jig then put your car on it, make sure that the jig is level. Measure twice, cut once...

Here are some pics of the finished product. The supports that are actually holding the car up were built to the car while it was level.

Note the forward supports are staggered out to allow the floor pan to be installed from the bottom

Now it's your turn guys... Let's see 'em...

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey now,... Don't everybody jump on here at once!

I wanna see some other jigs and/or carts on this thread!

#4 ·
I have recently drawn plans and just bought the wood to build my cart. (using wood since I am on a budget) The only dimensions I have so far are 44" wide, and 96" long. I am using a factory spec sheet to build it from so the mounting points I will use are: the front subframe mounting holes, under the front leaf spring mounting holees, and finally...under the horizontal portion of the rear frame rails. Take a look.

#6 ·
I did... I had some time to kill and wanted to share it with the site. --thanks.

I will be building it either Friday or Sunday--weather permitting. Believe it or not, it's cold now in Florida. LOL!

#8 ·
Closing because there are numerous threads with plans to build body carts and jigs, even very recently if you search for "body cart" or "jig". Also, please don't post on year old threads. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.