Team Camaro Tech banner

My 1968 Wheel / Tire Combo

8K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  gloveside45 
#1 ·
I was running 14" stock rims with cheap Yokohama tires (purchased the car in early August with this configuration) until last Saturday.

I now run:

RIMS CONFIG
FRONT - 17x8 Torq Thrust II Polished one piece (505 series)
REAR - 17x9.5 Torq Thrust II Polished two piece (405 series)

TIRE CONFIG
FRONT - 235/45/17
REAR - 265/40/17

Originially I tried to install 275's on the REARS, but the inner tire would RUB on the inner wall whenever I turned, even in low radius slow speed situations. The RUB was more prevelant on the driver side rear than the passenger side, leading me to think the rear alignment is slightly off.

I was going to add spacers to the REAR to make the 275's fit, but then I would also have to change my wheel studs as the stock ones are not long enough to accept a 5/16" spacer in-between the wheel and hub. Also, I bet dollar to donuts the outer fender would have started to RUB. The new STUDS would have been Dorman 980481 - 7/16-20, 1.75 inch, .475 knurl, 27/64 shoulder. The original is .472 knurl, but they don't make them in 1.75 inch, nor do they make them with the original 11/32 shoulder. But the 980481 from dorman would work fine.

That said i will be installing new Edelbrok IAS shocks to eliminate the remaining RUB on the REARS altogether.

I have NO RUB in the REAR on the outer fender, but I do have very slight RUB in the FRONT on the outer fender when I smack a really hard bump. Nothing special.

See less See more
#5 ·
#7 ·
Some new photos. In case anyone was wondering I'm running Dunlop Direzza DZ101 96W, the tread and sidewall looks real nice.
I also added the Edelbrock IAS shocks, the body now does not sway and I don't hear any rub during cornering..except when turning into driveways at sharp angles.

#12 ·
Thanks, the wheels while the most dramatic change to the overall look were nothing compared to the interior work. I love the new rims though!

I'm putting on the front disc's next week, the rears will stay drum for the foreseeable future.

#16 ·
I was reading the book and it said Corvette Bronze Metallic isn't necessarily a unique color, other than the relationship to the vette, would this increase my resale value even if I customize the car in other areas?

My plan is midnight black or firetruck red, not sure yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.