Team Camaro Tech banner

Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway bar

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  scblucam 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am thinking of installing my suspension on my own. I have the infamous e-bay arms, moog springs # 5536, kyb rear shocks bilstein front shocks and a hotchkis fron sway bar. I installed my tubular upper a arms on my 72 challenger and changed the shocks myself so I have some experience on this type of job but I havent done anything to my gen one camaro. How difficult are the tubular a arms to install? I assume if I am doing those the springs and shocks will be apart of the reconstruction? What do you guys think? Will I have to remove the fenders or anything else? Thanks in advance for all the help and guidance guys. Also I know the slugs in those arms were bad, does anyone know a good replacement I can use and have a link or a part number? Thanks again guys.

#2 ·
Forget the KYB rear shocks and go with Bilstein's all the way around. That way you have a matched set.
The project is quite a bit of work but very doable. Just be careful removing the old springs.
You may want to buy or rent a spring compressor.

There is no need to remove fenders.

Slugs? Do you mean bushings??

#3 ·
Anthony, have you done a search on the "e-bay" arms? There was a lengthy one where someone actually found a place to get new slugs.
You can make this a DIY! Like Fred said above, be safe and rent a spring compressor. You'll see or hear of people doing it without, ignore them. It's only a few bucks for the day! :yes:
Tires and brakes will be removed. Shocks will be R&R.
Make sure you get the springs seated in the pockets and definitely make sure you get the sway bar in while the suspension is apart!! I was able to get it in without, don't ask me how because I couldn't do it the second time. :noway:
The "search" function will work here also. Next time you're at the auto parts store, pick up a Chiltons. It will help a ton also. ;)

#8 ·
I did mine over winter working mostly on weekends and taking my time to make sure I did it right. I also did a bit more than what you are thinking about doing. Mine also included del-a-lam rear leaf springs, new rear end, drum to disc brake conversion on all corners, new brake lines/master cylinder, wheels and tires and a bunch of other little things that fall into the "while I am down here" category. I also had to address some issues (introduced by previous owner) that I found. Shocks will be easy and will take you a Saturday or less given you'll be doing these last and you'll have already removed the old front shocks as part of the other front end work. Front springs, upper/lower arms and sway bar is more like a multi weekend job for us average guys that don't do this every month. Just take your time and enjoy.

#10 ·
Front springs, upper/lower arms and sway bar is more like a multi weekend job for us average guys that don't do this every month. Just take your time and enjoy.
If you don't keep stopping for liquid refreshments it can be done in a day. Save the refreshments until the springs are out and back in. Be safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.