Team Camaro Tech banner

Build sheet for 468 or 496 bbc that works

63K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  BillK 
#1 ·
looking to build a bbc. just wondering if anyone has a combination that works well together. this is for a 67 camaro, 4 speed (m20), 373 or 355 rear gear (havent decided yet) street car. looking for atleast mid 11 sec car. Of course needs to be reliable. i have checked out vortecpro. he must have some nice combos.

#2 ·
Re: build sheet for 468 or 496 bbc that works

Kelly,
I have all the specs for one I did about a year ago. It was a 496. It made 680 hp @ 5800 rpm and 652 lbft @ 4900 Would have probably gone over 700hp if we wanted to twist it a little higher. Right about 10.5 to 1. This was on 93 octane pump gas. "No Name" aluminum heads that did not match the manifold worth a darn. Erson Hydraulic roller cam.

With a better set of heads (customer already had them) it would have done even better. He moved out of state but we keep in touch, I will shoot him an e-mail and see how it is driving it on the street. I think he was planning to take it to the track this coming weekend. It was in a pretty nice Pro Street type car.

If you are interested I can e-mail you the info.

#15 ·

Kelly,
I have all the specs for one I did about a year ago. It was a 496. It made 680 hp @ 5800 rpm and 652 lbft @ 4900 Would have probably gone over 700hp if we wanted to twist it a little higher. Right about 10.5 to 1. This was on 93 octane pump gas. "No Name" aluminum heads that did not match the manifold worth a darn. Erson Hydraulic roller cam.

With a better set of heads (customer already had them) it would have done even better. He moved out of state but we keep in touch, I will shoot him an e-mail and see how it is driving it on the street. I think he was planning to take it to the track this coming weekend. It was in a pretty nice Pro Street type car.

Can you email it to me please

#6 ·

.....anyone else? maybe looking at a sold flat tappet for now $$$
I have a 468 that makes decent HP and TQ. I had Coan Transmissions & Torque Convertors build a torque converter for it based on the dyno results...runs great on the street. You can PM me for the engine specs if interested.

David F.
www.firstgens.com

#4 ·

Kelly,
I will print the info at the shop on Friday and e-mail it to you. My advice would be to scrimp on something else and go with a hydraulic roller cam instead of the flat tappet. If you figure the overall cost of an engine like this, the difference to go with the roller is a very small percentage.

#5 ·

Skip has a sweet 496" motor that runs great, but it may be out of your price range.
There is another member who bought a vortecpro motor with good results.
Hopefully they will chime in and give you their input.
My suggestion for a budget build is go as big of cubes as you can, and you can still make decent power with a flat tappet cam and the next best heads.
FWIW my cousin's "little" dragster motor which is a solid roller 468 makes tons of power and is very reliable, plenty capable of running 10's in a street car, and it cost them less than 3k to refresh, the heads are iron GM castings.

#11 ·

Skip has a sweet 496" motor that runs great, but it may be out of your price range.
There is another member who bought a vortecpro motor with good results.
Hopefully they will chime in and give you their input.
My suggestion for a budget build is go as big of cubes as you can, and you can still make decent power with a flat tappet cam and the next best heads.
FWIW my cousin's "little" dragster motor which is a solid roller 468 makes tons of power and is very reliable, plenty capable of running 10's in a street car, and it cost them less than 3k to refresh, the heads are iron GM castings.
vortecpro builds a mean 496 for sure. Checkout my sig for details.... Good luck.

#7 ·

i have a budget drag motor 468--12.7-1 alum. pro comp heads -700 lift solid roller
710hp 663tq--does well but the pro comps dont breath enough for racing but i think budget street motor 1000 for the heads flat tops would leave enough money for street roller and give descent numbers- a 496 10-1 with hogged out 781 iron heads and roller probably would give big numbers

#9 ·
OK a .060” Bore 454 with 781’s 118cc Chambered heads - Heh!

That 1.440” over deck Height Spec is way out to lunch as it would blow the top of the engine into orbit.

Has the block been decked and by how much, what pistons you running with the 781’s?

Nothing wrong with the 781’s other then the cost of rebuilding them maybe more expensive then buying a set of Edelbrock 454-0’s.

We need to know the Block Decking, Piston Part number & Dome Volume so we can continue.

You can build a Budget 6400 rpm cast crank SFT 468 producing 580Hp with 781’s on pump gas providing we know the Mfgr’s Piston & Block Decking.

#10 · (Edited)
The one thing I would not scrimp on is the heads, and edelbrock E-streets can be had for $1500.
Then if the budget allows use a hydraulic roller cam; a flat tappet will reach your mid 11 second goal but the roller will produce 20 more hp and be more reliable.
A holley 80531 850 carb with a performer RPM intake , eddy heads and a cam of 220 to 230 intake duration (@.050" lift) would make a sweet street combo that should hit the mid 11 sec mark.

#13 ·
X2
You can search on the web for weeks looking for a negative comment about one of these guys. You will not find one. Let a pro build your engine. Maybe not as fun but it will be cheaper in the long run.

#14 ·
Re: Build sheet for 468

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, this is my first post, not sure if this is the right place to post.
I am building a 468 to go in my 72 RS, it will be a street strip car, 90% street 10% strip, below is my build sheet, let me know what you think of it, any advice is welcomed.
Block is a 4 bolt main 454 + 060 (468) zero decked, line honed, balanced rotating assembly, ARP main studs with windage tray, ARP rod bolts, 7 quart oil pan, HV oil pump, cast crankshaft.
pistons are 25 cc dome WL2465F60 moly rings file fit.
Camshaft wil be one of two that I'm thinking of using.
Howards HR 120265-12 with 237-243 degrees at 050 634 640 lift, lsa 112.
or Lunati SR 40110311LK with 244-255degrees at 050 630 630 lift, lsa 112.
I will spraying 100 to 150 nitrous at the track, thats why the 112 lsa.
Heads are 781 with 2.19 1.88 valves, bowl blended and slightly ported and polished, no flow nrs. roller rockers, team G intake manifold toped of with a dominator 1050.
MSD dist. MSD 6al-2, headers are 2" primery to 3.5 colectors, 3" exhaust with electric cutouts. Gear box is a M21 4 speed with a 11" dual friction clutch.
12 bolt 3.73 rear end 28" tires.
looking forward to see your comments, and thoughts about HP and ET
PS. all the parts above I allready have eccept the camshaft, I still have to bye.
Thanks a lot
Hani M.

#19 ·

Kelly,

Click on my name (billk) at the left and then hit "start conversation"
Tried wont let me