Team Camaro Tech banner

67 Camaro Fold Down Rear Seat

28K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  JimK816 
#1 ·
Can someone post pictures of their fold down rear set with the seat folded? I would like pictures of the corners & top of the divider panel & front edge of the package tray. I am putting together a car that I didn't take apart & I'm not sure how everything fits.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Here's a '69 fold down rear seat folded down if anyone could use the photo.

#7 ·
I see how the 68-69 latches in the upright position. How does a 67 seat stay upright? It might be there Mitch but I can't tell. Do you have any close ups? Thanks

#8 ·
The clips in the upper corner are just tension grip and would let the seat flop forward on hard breaking. That's why the latch's were changed to be a positive hook. I don't have any close-ups on hand but will get a couple later this evening.:thumbsup:

#12 ·
I know this is an old topic, but I've a question that pertains directly to this. Unfortunately, I don't often see information about the "business coupe" or fold-down rear seat optioned cars. I own one as well, and considering that the pictures here are quite good, I think this is likely the best place to ask this question. So:

Anyone ever install minitubs in one of these? I just got off the phone with Detroit Speed and Engineering. My question to them was, "How much do I have to narrow the rear seat with your kit." They told me, "Anywhere from 3-4.0 inches, depending on the car." Now I know that the non-folders have to be wider seats, because the folders have armrests, and the non's do not. But on cars like these posted above, and my own, I'm unsure about the location of the hinge brackets, etc. It may be that the folders will tolerate a minitub, but not a full 3" tub...maybe only 1.5 or 2 inch.

That said, I know the DSE kits allow ~3" additional space, and use the offset spring hangars. I currently have 15x8 'Vette rally wheels on mine, and I intend to replace them with a 10" version. I only really want two more inches on the inside. I'd be fine with banding my current tubs, if need be, although it seems the DSE's would certainly be easier to deal with if they'd fit.

#13 ·
Here's my .02 on the subject from a fold down owner. Less than 2% of the camaros produced in any of the first three years had a fold down rear seat. That's what kept mine from the crusher back in 84, I knew it was rare. I'm pretty sure you will have to narrow the seat to mini tub at all. If you are going thru with the mini tub you might as well go all the way. I'll suffer with what the General gave me for wheel wells.

Jeff

#14 ·
Jeff, I think this is one of those rare occasions where I'll actually -take- someone's advice. For those that might see this and still be considering...

I needed only do some research the good old fashioned way: walk out in the back yard and use my eyeballs. Who'd have thought?

Note the ridge in the floorpan I've highlighted in red:

Attachments

#15 ·
There is an alternative if you are replacing quarter panels that I forgot about. Split the quarter and make it wider. I've seen it done on a third gen and I think Super Chevy did it on a first gen. I've already hacked off the metal that I would have needed to do it to mine.

Jeff

#16 · (Edited)
Hey Guys like to revisit the topic on the rear fold-down seat. it was not an option on my 67 but I bought one at a swap meet. After installing it, it's seems very difficult to pull the seat down, and after looking at the pictures I see there is a latch on the passenger side to release and let the seat down. My question is..... do all fold-down seats have that latch on the passenger side? I heard all 3 first gen Camaros will interchange, but heard they are all different as well. I thought my set up was complete, but it does not have the latch. Can anyone help me out with this million-dollar question? Thanks, Greg

#17 ·
Mine has the fold down seat and '67 doesn't use a latch. There is a spring steel "catch" if you will that holds the back rest up. The hinge mechanism is a bit strange and tends to bind, making it feel resistant to folding. I have pics of mine as I was restoring it on another computer. I will try to get them loaded on here and post a few.

The latch was added in '68 or '69 because under frontal impact the seat would fold forward on rear seat passengers and trap them against the front seats.

#19 ·
I only have a couple pics of the catch clip. Nothing of the metal bracket on the seat that it mates too. The back just snaps on the clip.

Hard to make out the hinge mount at the bottom but the hinge is mounted on the back rest and slides into a slot in the floor bracket and then a bolt holds it in place. The hinge is similar to a tail gate on a station wagon. They work but not very well...:noway:

#22 ·
Any pics of the passenger side? Thanks.
Passenger side is identical. It's been a few years since I did this but some of the pieces were available from Rick's Camaro. I believe the later latch was. I don't know if the seat frame is the same with the 2 different latches. I think the latch mounts on the trunk divider frame, so it may be possible to add the latch without major surgery.

As for the hinge bind, one of the straps was bent on mine from being folded dry and binding. I straightened it as best I could and it helped. Some good penetrating lube like Deep Creep or JB80 helped a lot too.

#26 ·
#27 ·
I am jumping in late on this thread but I have just finished the interior of my 67 FB vert and it has a fold down seat. It has the steel spring metal catches as shown in a post earlier.
My question/problem is that my seat does not fold down all the way. It is like it has too much padding in the seat bottom or folding seat back. Everything is installed and as far as I can tell it will only go in one way so I am not sure what the problem is.
The car was totally taken apart when I got it or I would have had pictures of this before dismantling it.
Any ideas?
EB

#29 ·
Is the seat bottom all the way down and in the catches?
Yes it is. The bottom seat did come out of a Camaro but I don't think that FB and Camaro rear bottom seats are different. It folds down past flat without the seat bottom so I know it is not the hinge.
As far as I can tell it is orig. to the car, so I think the hinge mounts are in the right place.
EB

#30 ·
It could be the new padding and upholstery. How far down does it go ?? Mine is still the original covering and it does need a slight push to come down flat.

#32 ·
The seats didn't originally have much padding. Did the person who built them add extra batting/padding to make them more comfortable ??

The seat back hinge is secured to the floor bracket in a slot. I would see if I could adjust that relationship to raise the back slightly to allow it to fold further.

#33 ·
The seat back was all rusted out and only the horrible black dry rotted button tuck seat cover was on it so I had my interior guy replace the springs with foam pad. It looks great but I guess it could be too thick of a foam pad.

I thought about raising the hinges up in the bracket but was afraid it would move it up too far when the seat is not folded.

Thanks
EB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.