Team Camaro Tech banner

Disc brake conversion kit with 14" wheels

11K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  markw 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 67 rs with 14" drag mags and I want to put a front disc kit on my car, but I am a little confused on all the kits out there. Looking for some help please with keeping the stock 14 wheels. Thanks

#2 ·
Hi, and Welcome!

What year?
Exactly which "stock" wheels?

In 69, there is a SPECIFIC CODE 14" rallye wheel that will fit the optional 11" single piston disk brakes. Not sure about other years. Fairly certain that other steel wheels as used with hubcaps won't fit.

#4 · (Edited)
None of the typical front disc conversions are set up for a 14 inch wheel. Thats not to say that no 14 inch mags will work.

The default wheel size for the vast majority are for 15 inch and above. Having said this, factory style "disc" rally wheels should bolt right up. For 67, rally wheel codes DA, DG,XG,and YJ should bolt up. Beyond these codes, you'd need to mock up one of your 14s on a buddy's car with front disc brakes. I say this because the wheel diameter is one issue, and the backspacing is another. If the wheels bolt up to a factory style setup, then they will bolt up to the aftermarket, which are based on a GM single piston caliper and brackets.

The bottom line is that some 14 inch mags will work,some work with mods to the brackets, and some will not bolt up at all. There are so many variations in wheel inner diameter and backspacing, that you really do not know for sure until you try, unless you go with disc rallies. This is why all kits we sell say "15 inch wheels and up", just to play it safe.

#5 ·
Hackmando, I did the conversion on front of my 68 with 11" rotors from "the right stuff". I also picked up some 15x7 rally wheels. To make a long story short I had to move the car and was able to fit and use some wheels mounted with 14" cragar ss five spoke rims that i had laying around. So i guess in some instances 14's will work.

#6 ·
My front brakes are off a 72 Monte, they are mated with a set of 14x7 American 200S,
I did need to touch the left caliper with a disc, to clean some of the casting line off.
The disc has been on since 88, the wheels since 72, the only thing the rotors kicked the
wheels and tires out a 1/2 inch. Factory had 14 in wheels and disc brakes, and they fit,
unless you had a Z all wheels were 14's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.