GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

Old Oct 4th, 08, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech

Dale

Default Re: What's the best weatherstrip lubricant/protectant?

I am not a chemist (my father is), but I can tell you that I have never found anything to work better than silicone on Rubber. Nothing! I have 41 years of experience with that. With saying that, I don't understand the process for how all rubber is made and there is some product out there called “foam rubber” (a chemist might know the difference, or if it is even really rubber) that silicone does not really work so good for.

A lot of this weather stripping on these cars looks to me like it is foam rubber. When you look at these cars and how long this weather-stripping lasts (like RamAirDave said above) and how easy it is to replace, I am not really sure why you would try to preserve it, when it seems to last about 39 years!!!? I was even really wondering it you were asking how to “Restore the old one?” That would be a different question.

Even with saying all that I have above, when trying to “preserve” my new, I just do what Jim said. I “wipe” it in silicone as a cleaner. Just enough to clean the outside SKIN and make it look really good. I do not use enough to penetrate into the pores of the inner part. I have been doing this for years, but NOT to really preserve (I guess you could say I am trying to preserve the skin.) My theory is that, if it is “Clean,” THAT will preserve it. I have never found this to damage the weather-stripping or skin.

Finally, I have never use the Dupont Product that Dave mentioned above, Krytox Fluorinated Grease. It sounds like a tooth paste!!!!!! I would be very surprised if it were not a great product. But, Dave, if what you are really trying to do is RESTORE the old – let us know that. None of what I have written here or anything else above will do that.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Dale8346; Oct 4th, 08 at 08:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 5th, 08, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech

Matt

Check out this link from metro http://www.metrommp.com/general_info.htm It tells all about how its made and how to take care of it.
Old Oct 6th, 08, 06:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale8346 View Post
Dave, if what you are really trying to do is RESTORE the old let us know that. None of what I have written here or anything else above will do that.

Hope this helps.
What started this was my shopping for my C4 Corvette. It seemed that most of the cars I looked at ('92-'96) the weatherstrip was in very poor condition. The one I bought has it fairly good shape, but there are quite a few squeaks that seem to be coming from the weatherstrip. Also I just replaced all the weatherstrip on the Camaro a couple years ago, so I figured there must be a way to keep it in good condition and reduce the squeaks.

all gave some
MY SON GAVE ALL

http://www.fallenherosdreamride.org

68 Coupe, Red/white vinyl, 327, pg
Old Oct 6th, 08, 07:55 AM
Senior Tech

I was told to use armold on a rag and message it in.Works for me on my metro seals.
Old Oct 6th, 08, 03:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Gary

GM sells a product in a tube for dressing weatherstrip (I think it might be called 'Weatherstrip dressing'? ) Supposedly the best thing...

In the past I've 'renewed' old but good rubber items by soaking them in my big gojo container, and then taking them out and cleaning them. You might try rubbing on a little gojo. it absolutely cleans the rubber, and seems to 'renew' it..
Old Oct 10th, 08, 07:23 PM
Team Member

John

The DuPont Krytox product is made specifically for lube/preservation of rubber weatherstrips, and it's expensive - because it works. We use it in the plants today, and the military uses it for jet canopy seals.
Old Oct 10th, 08, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech

Hank

I use a product made for aircraft seals & o-rings.
Made by Dow corning ,short name DC4.
Or DC 111 it's thicker though.

MBHD
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Interiors      Current Topic: What's the best weatherstrip lubricant/protectant?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.