Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust - Page 3 - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 
Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro
   

Auto Insurance



Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Performance Our High Performance area

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old May 26th, 08, 12:37 PM
CamarosRus CamarosRus is offline
Senior Tech

Chuck
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Renton(Seattle)WA, USA
Posts: 1,002
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

ZZMike, I read your "X-pipe points down" reply and tend to agree with you. I have tried both the angles UP and DOWN configuration. I can get the front pipes to align with header reducers when X-pipe assy is angles UP even though "wrong" ................
When I install X-pipe assy angled down , I cant (yet) get FRONT pipes to align with header reducer........
On another thread , the man reports he had to cut front angles stubs and rotate them to make fit...........
As much as I like this 15895 system, the install has been difficult for me !!!!!!

I promise to help anybody/everybody if I ever get it figured out ???????
__________________
Chuck Sharin
Seattle area
69 COPO recreation (Day 2)
70 Z-28
70 L-78
70 SS R/S
73 RS LT
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32  
Old May 26th, 08, 12:42 PM
ZZMike's Avatar
ZZMike ZZMike is offline
Gold Lifetime Member

Turd Fergeson
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 642
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

I am sorry to hear the install has been a pain. Mine bolted right up, except for the header pipes, which I had to have cut and welded. I am also going to have the tail pipes re-bent this week to give a more stock appearance and include the usage of the stock hangers.
__________________
1968 British Racing Green Crossram Camaro Z/28
Double Trouble

2008 Black Corvette Z06
STS Turbocharged
Couldn't wait for the new Camaro any longer...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old May 26th, 08, 02:56 PM
LCAC_Man LCAC_Man is offline
Senior Tech

Len Barron
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oceanside, CA.
Posts: 472
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamarosRus View Post
ZZMike, I read your "X-pipe points down" reply and tend to agree with you. I have tried both the angles UP and DOWN configuration. I can get the front pipes to align with header reducers when X-pipe assy is angles UP even though "wrong" ................
When I install X-pipe assy angled down , I cant (yet) get FRONT pipes to align with header reducer........
On another thread , the man reports he had to cut front angles stubs and rotate them to make fit...........
As much as I like this 15895 system, the install has been difficult for me !!!!!!

I promise to help anybody/everybody if I ever get it figured out ???????
Best pic's I have of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1002.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	6606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1003.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	6607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1010.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	6608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1005.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	6609  

__________________
Len
67 SS-350 Convert.
406/200r4/12b 3.73's Truetrac
Len's PT Garage
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old May 28th, 08, 10:33 PM
CamarosRus CamarosRus is offline
Senior Tech

Chuck
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Renton(Seattle)WA, USA
Posts: 1,002
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

Len, With all due respect to you and your fine Camaro, I refuse to cut and misalign/misfit the front MAGNAFLOW intermediate tubes as youve done.

I have experimented with the X-pipe assy front tubes angled down (as MAGNAFLOW say they should be.....and also 180' reverse, angled UPWARD......In the angles up position I can get front tubes to line up, but X-pipe assy is too low, making muffler and tailpipe too high.....

At this point MAGNAFLOW is working with me to remedy this. I am going to change rotation of front X-pipe stubs so as to be level or parallel with header reducer, and therefore allowing fittment of front intermediate tube......

Some of these pics are with X-pipe front "stubs" angled UP and some are angled down....
Please READ captions and LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay tuned..........!!!!!!!!!!!











__________________
Chuck Sharin
Seattle area
69 COPO recreation (Day 2)
70 Z-28
70 L-78
70 SS R/S
73 RS LT
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Jun 3rd, 08, 07:30 PM
Z282NV Z282NV is offline
Senior Tech

Joe
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,316
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

Hey Chuck

I finally started the install of my 2.5 " SS Magnaflow Transverse exhaust system. I did the same thing as you and laid it out on the garage floor before I started. I found the same problem you did with the drivers side over the axle tube (OAT) being about 1.25" to 1.50" shorter than the passenger side OAT. I also noticed another problem with the drivers side OAT, it appears to be pointing towards the center of the car more than the passenger side OAT. This means that it will run closer to the drive shaft. I laid it out with the front of X pipe pointing down and that seems to work better in my case (also helps clear the parking brake cable better).

To fix the driver side OAT situation I took a different approach than you. I am pretty picky as well but I did not want to cut the passenger side OAT and have it expanded again to fit the X pipe. So what I did was cut the X pipe on the passenger side by about one inch. This allows for better engagment of the drivers OAT with the X pipe to compensate for the fact that it is shorter. The only visible issue with approach is that the tube clamps will not be in the exact same positon at each joint but for the one inch or so difference I do not think anyone will notice that.

To fix the toe in problem I just cut the drivers side OAT at the muffler by about one inch. This forces the back end of the OAT in towards the center of the car and pushes the end the goes into the X pipe out to match the passenger side. It worked like a charm.

With the X pipe on (pointing down) I then kept cutting in incriments the tubes going to my reducers until I had a good fit. I am going to have a local shop tig weld these pipes tomorrow.

I also found a solution for the rear hanger brackets rather than using that piece of crap "angle" bracket that Magnaflow gives you which they expect you to weld onto the tail pipes. I just cut off most of the 2" clamp portion on the stock hangers and I am going to have the same shop who will be welding my reducers to just weld on a 2.5" diameter clamp to them. You have to play with the stock clamps a bit to get them in the right position close to the tail pipes but with some cardboard made clamps and a bit of masking tape I was able to lay something out. I will try and post pics once I get them back from the shop.

In all this has been not too bad an install. So far I would guess that it has taken me and a friend of mine about 10 hours to get to this point. This basically working on our backs with the car sitting on 4 axle stands in my garage. I do not have the luxury of owning a lift.

I hope to have it all buttoned up by Thursday night.
__________________
Z282nv........."its gotta be red"

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/z282nv/
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Jun 10th, 08, 05:14 PM
Z282NV Z282NV is offline
Senior Tech

Joe
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,316
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

I finished the install and would have posted pictures sooner but I am having trouble with my internet browser for some reason..IE7 what a piece of crap.

Here are some shots that I have managed to take so far. I will try and post more in the future if I can figure out what is going on with my computer.

Here are a few shots of the install. I had the reducers welded on to the front sections of the Maganflow tubes with the weld cleaned up...what do you think?..., pipes are all polished.







__________________
Z282nv........."its gotta be red"

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/z282nv/

Last edited by Z282NV; Jun 10th, 08 at 05:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Nov 26th, 08, 08:10 AM
barno68 barno68 is offline

Brent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

Looking to revive this thread
Does anyone have pictures of the mounted muffler? The x-pipe and all is fitting together fine (have the length issue also, but it is workable), but the OTA pipes and the muffler are not cooperating. The muffler is all the way back and touching the gas tank while the mounting tab on the OTA pipes are hitting the floor. Also I do not see where the supplied mounting bracket attaches for the OTA pieces. The tail pipe sections don't come close to fitting, not sure what I am doing wrong... Thanks.
__________________
Brent
1971 Camaro, LT-1, 4L60E pro-tour
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Nov 26th, 08, 05:27 PM
Z282NV Z282NV is offline
Senior Tech

Joe
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,316
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by barno68 View Post
Looking to revive this thread
Does anyone have pictures of the mounted muffler? The x-pipe and all is fitting together fine (have the length issue also, but it is workable), but the OTA pipes and the muffler are not cooperating. The muffler is all the way back and touching the gas tank while the mounting tab on the OTA pipes are hitting the floor. Also I do not see where the supplied mounting bracket attaches for the OTA pieces. The tail pipe sections don't come close to fitting, not sure what I am doing wrong... Thanks.
Brent are you trying to install it on a first or second gen? The only pictures I have are the ones above. The install was very easy for me. The only exception was having to cut the X-pipe on one side and one of the OTA's pipes. The muffler is not 100% vertical is leans a bit. The hanger brackets for the OTA's mount in the stock location on the underside of the carbody on my 69. The black rubber isolators supplied with the kit makes the connection to the welded hangers on the OTA's. I did not use the supplied SS angle bracket that comes with the kit to support the rear exhaust pipes (those look like crap). I modified the existing stock hanagers. Next spring I going to add polished tips...I do not like the tail pipes pointing down in the back like that...

http://www.pysales.com/iwwida.pvx?;i...0%201?comp=ppe

Maybe if you can supply a few pics we can take a peek at what is going on with your install.
__________________
Z282nv........."its gotta be red"

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/z282nv/
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Nov 27th, 08, 05:32 AM
barno68 barno68 is offline

Brent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z282NV View Post
Brent are you trying to install it on a first or second gen? The only pictures I have are the ones above. The install was very easy for me. The only exception was having to cut the X-pipe on one side and one of the OTA's pipes. The muffler is not 100% vertical is leans a bit. The hanger brackets for the OTA's mount in the stock location on the underside of the carbody on my 69. The black rubber isolators supplied with the kit makes the connection to the welded hangers on the OTA's.
It is on a second gen, but it is the same kit as yours. It is possible that I filled in the holes for the mounts, don't remember any in that location though. The car looked like swiss cheese when I got it, so who knows... I took some pics yesterday, but it was with my wifes camara so now I have to figure out how to downloaded them
__________________
Brent
1971 Camaro, LT-1, 4L60E pro-tour
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Nov 27th, 08, 02:51 PM
Z282NV Z282NV is offline
Senior Tech

Joe
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,316
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by barno68 View Post
It is on a second gen, but it is the same kit as yours. It is possible that I filled in the holes for the mounts, don't remember any in that location though. The car looked like swiss cheese when I got it, so who knows... I took some pics yesterday, but it was with my wifes camara so now I have to figure out how to downloaded them
Second Gen eh! (sorry I'm Canadian)...that could be your problem the 15895 kit is for the 69 not for your 71.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...one=all&id=142

Your 71 should have this one...no welded on hangers off the OTA's !!!

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...one=all&id=153
__________________
Z282nv........."its gotta be red"

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/z282nv/
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Nov 28th, 08, 06:33 AM
barno68 barno68 is offline

Brent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

The 15895 is supposed to be a direct fit for 67-73 Camaro/Firebirds, so there should not be a problem, but...
__________________
Brent
1971 Camaro, LT-1, 4L60E pro-tour
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Dec 10th, 08, 06:28 AM
ZZMike's Avatar
ZZMike ZZMike is offline
Gold Lifetime Member

Turd Fergeson
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 642
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

Brent,

Where in Phoenix are you? It may be possible for you to come by and take a look at mine in person.

Cheers,

Mike
__________________
1968 British Racing Green Crossram Camaro Z/28
Double Trouble

2008 Black Corvette Z06
STS Turbocharged
Couldn't wait for the new Camaro any longer...
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Jan 27th, 09, 05:43 AM
barno68 barno68 is offline

Brent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZMike View Post
Brent,

Where in Phoenix are you? It may be possible for you to come by and take a look at mine in person.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike, sorry I have not looked on the forum in a while. Appreciate the offer, but I have taken a different route. Long story short, Magnaflow tech support said that the system was designed for a 1st gen, even though it is advertised for second gens also and the instructions state '67-73. The told me it would need to be modified slightly. I had the OTA tubes bent an additional 20deg and 8deg on either end and it still did not fit. Also had to cut off the bracket to get it anywhere near the floor.

Ended up going through one of their distributors to get them to stand by the product and they shipped a 15899 kit out. This is the dual muffler set up that is for a 2nd gen. Instructions state, once again, that it fits a 67-73 F-body... sorry those two gens are nowhere close in measurements. Sure enough, this system does not fit either. I will have to replace everything forward of the muffler as the x-pipe pipe angles do not line up with the mufflers once the tail pipes are installed. The other issue I have is this new kit is 3", which means I now have 2.5" downpipes and flex pipes I have to replace. Also, like the first kit, I will have to cut off the brackets welded on the mufflers as they line up to nothing and hit the floorboards. Nice... Really bad experience with Magnaflow, especially with their customer service (lack there of).

Brent
__________________
Brent
1971 Camaro, LT-1, 4L60E pro-tour
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Jun 18th, 10, 04:34 AM
turtlesdove3 turtlesdove3 is offline

 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by barno68 View Post
Mike, sorry I have not looked on the forum in a while. Appreciate the offer, but I have taken a different route. Long story short, Magnaflow tech support said that the system was designed for a 1st gen, even though it is advertised for second gens also and the instructions state '67-73. The told me it would need to be modified slightly. I had the OTA tubes bent an additional 20deg and 8deg on either end and it still did not fit. Also had to cut off the bracket to get it anywhere near the floor.

Ended up going through one of their distributors to get them to stand by the product and they shipped a 15899 kit out. This is the dual muffler set up that is for a 2nd gen. Instructions state, once again, that it fits a 67-73 F-body... sorry those two gens are nowhere close in measurements. Sure enough, this system does not fit either. I will have to replace everything forward of the muffler as the x-pipe pipe angles do not line up with the mufflers once the tail pipes are installed. The other issue I have is this new kit is 3", which means I now have 2.5" downpipes and flex pipes I have to replace. Also, like the first kit, I will have to cut off the brackets welded on the mufflers as they line up to nothing and hit the floorboards. Nice... Really bad experience with Magnaflow, especially with their customer service (lack there of).

Brent
You surely had a very bad experience. Why do they have to advertise for second gen if it's designed for 1st gen? It can confuse anyone. I have used only magnaflow in and out for years now and was satisfied but the experience you went through has kind of disappointed me. Magnaflow should try to keep up their quality.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Jun 18th, 10, 05:13 AM
The Camaro Guy The Camaro Guy is offline
Senior Tech

Bruce
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waxhaw, NC
Posts: 1,089
Default Re: Magnaflow Transverse Muffler Exhaust

Hey Joe,
Would you be interested in a pair of (new) Pypes Stainless tips that I am not going to use as I went with the flowmaster kit that has the stainless tip welded on.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pypes transverse exhaust system stevecolo Camaro Tech 1 Feb 13th, 06 03:10 PM
Magnaflow Muffler Disatisfaction 69Mike Engine 20 Feb 5th, 06 10:31 PM
Got a New Magnaflow Exhaust System Cameron Performance 19 Nov 13th, 05 09:23 AM
68 RS 250 performance/gas mileage - is the transverse muffler system a hindrance? richcamaro68 Performance 10 Jul 29th, 04 06:28 PM
anyone running stock exhaust manifolds with deep tone muffler? 69 RS-Z Engine 8 Nov 11th, 03 05:31 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:08 AM.



Camaros.net - 2009 AutoForums.com