N.J. historic plates? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

Old May 29th, 09, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech

Glenn

Question N.J. historic plates?

Question for you New Jersey team members, What is the procedure for getting the QQ "historic" licence plates. I called the DMV and was told "you have to go to Trenton to get them", she had no other info. This will be for my 69 Camaro ALMOST DONE!!! Thanks in advance guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 09, 08:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Robert

Default Re: N.J. historic plates?

I went to my local agency in Flemington and did it all right there.

68 Camaro, RS/SS, ZZ502, Retrotek Fuel Injection, 4 Speed.

2010 RS/2SS Black, 6 speed trans
Old May 29th, 09, 09:38 PM
Senior Tech

MARK

Same here, I got them at the local DMV agency a few miles from where I live. Maybe things have changed since then. That was about 10 years ago.
Old May 29th, 09, 09:48 PM
Senior Tech

Charlie

When I got mine 2 years ago I went to Flemington and they told me I had to go to Trenton to get them. I took the day off and went first thing in the morning so I was there when they opened. The only problem I had was, there was two offices at that time. (im not sure if there still is) I went to the office I found on the state website, (the one on S Stockton Street) when I got up to the girl at the window I told her I wanted to get QQ plates and she told me I was in the wrong place, I had to go to another office about two blocks away.... ok no big deal... I get to the other office and stand in line again to find out that they do the QQ plates there but I had to go back to the other office to transfter the title to my name, because they didnt do that at the second office.
So it was back to the first office to get the title transfered and then back to the second office to get my plates. The second time around the guy at the second office was in a much better mood....... I guess he had time to get his 1st coffee break in by then.

Old May 29th, 09, 09:48 PM
Team Member

Rob

All you need to do is go to your local DMV office and fill out the correct form. It's pretty much the simplest thing you can do for your restoration

If I remember correctly, once you send in the form and the $$ (I Believe it's 50 bucks) they will mail you your new QQ plates and then you never have to pay for your registration again
Old May 29th, 09, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech

Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by no69x-44 View Post
All you need to do is go to your local DMV office and fill out the correct form. It's pretty much the simplest thing you can do for your restoration

If I remember correctly, once you send in the form and the $$ (I Believe it's 50 bucks) they will mail you your new QQ plates and then you never have to pay for your registration again
That does ring a bell, I think if your not in a rush for them you could just get a form at your local DMV and do it via the mail. In my case I didnt want to wait for the plates to come in the mail, thats why I went to Trenton. I did have to bring pictures of the car with me. I think it was one front shot and a side shot. So I would think you would have to mail pictures in with your form too.

Old May 29th, 09, 10:14 PM
Team Member

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman24 View Post
That does ring a bell, I think if your not in a rush for them you could just get a form at your local DMV and do it via the mail. In my case I didnt want to wait for the plates to come in the mail, thats why I went to Trenton. I did have to bring pictures of the car with me. I think it was one front shot and a side shot. So I would think you would have to mail pictures in with your form too.
Yes, that right Charlie, you do need the two pictures that you mention. I forgot all about that. It's been a while. I think it took about 3-4 weeks to get my plates in the mail. I already had regular plates on the car at the time so that was no big deal for me.
Old May 30th, 09, 07:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Steve

I purchased a 69 last October and switched the title at the local DMV. I went to Trenton to get the QQ plates since I didn't want to wait for the mail. Here's the instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NJDMV0001.pdf (17.3 KB, 644 views)
Old May 30th, 09, 07:13 AM
Senior Tech

Glenn

Thanks for the info. guys. I did not hear about bringing the 2 pictures. Mon. after work, Iwill go to the local DMV, "Washington NJ", in person and get the form.
Old May 30th, 09, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech

Sean

There are 2 ways to get QQ plates in NJ, in person at the Trenton headquarters, or by mail. You can get them the same day if you go to Trenton unless they are personalized plates. If you call the DMV they will send you out the form instead of you having to stop by to pick one up. The form will have all the instructions on it. I just ordered personalized plates this winter through mail and had them within a month. Most of the reps in the special plates dept. are very helpful and will answer any questions you have, I would call them directly instead of some person working the main desk.

TC Showroom Pics
Old May 30th, 09, 10:33 PM
Senior Tech

Glenn

Thanks Sean...That's a nice ride you have there, nice garage too !
Old May 31st, 09, 12:42 AM
Senior Tech

bill

i went to dmv to get my registration done. but i had an out of state title. which took 2 weeks for them to check if it was a good title. than went to trenton and picked up my plates. if you send it in they just pick a set and send them to you. if you go there you have a choice to pick of whats available. people tell you it is 75 for lifetime registration. that is bull. it is 75 for 3 year registration.
Old May 31st, 09, 05:56 AM
Senior Tech

Sean

Glenn, thanks! Good Luck

Bill, from what i was told, the registration is a 3 year registration, but you only have to pay for it once for historic cars. So it needs to be renewed in 3 years but it won't cost you.

TC Showroom Pics
Old May 31st, 09, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech

John

wow this thread couldnt have come at a better time! I just tried to do this at my local DMV on Saturday morning and was told the same thing! They were nice and gave me the number to call, so looks like I'll be calling tomorrow morning!

Now whats the deal as far as inspection?
Old May 31st, 09, 01:43 PM
Senior Tech

Dan

NO inspection on QQ plates in NJ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > Team Camaro > Bench Racing      Current Topic: N.J. historic plates?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.