Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jun 30th, 09, 01:06 PM
Senior Tech

sako

Default Which Exhaust, 2.5 or 3

Its time to get new exhaust for my 69. I currently have headers straight pipe to mufflers and drops down before the rear end. It has 2.5 pipes and Elderbrock mufflers. The car sound nice when its moving, not to loud and not quiet. But idle, its to quiet and not very intemidating. Im thinking about Magnaflow or Flowmaster system exiting the back. Would i have problems going 3"?will it bottom out? The car is at stock hight. Any pictures of your setups and advice would be much appreciated.

If this post is similar to existing thread, please post the link.
Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 30th, 09, 01:15 PM
Senior Tech

sako

Default Re: Which Exhaust, 2.5 or 3

I know most of the sound that the engine make has a lot to do with the cam.
I have no knowledge of whats in the engine (numbers,brand and specs) because i bought the car the way it is. The previous owner did not know eather. So if i redo the exhoust would it make that much of difference(sound at idle). I know i will get more performance with the 3" and x pipes.
Old Jun 30th, 09, 02:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

BILL

3 inch is a little tight but it will fit! I prefer the 2.5 inch better, deeper sound and more back pressure...
Old Jun 30th, 09, 03:09 PM

I think you could change just the mufflers... check some sites and you can hear the difference
I have the Flowmaster American Thunder w/ H-pipe on mine...Has a decent sound (some don't like)
11.327 @ 116.79.
Best to Date....
RedЯum <-Pics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8WV...ature=youtu.be <~More here
Old Jun 30th, 09, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech

Andy

3" here with an x pipe, and one chambers dumped at the rear axle. It just sounds angry. Regular 40s are just too mild sounding for me, lol. The super 40s sound good, and I have them on my cuda, but they are much larger than one chambers, and aren't great for ground clearance.

View Video on FQuick
Old Jun 30th, 09, 05:58 PM
Lifetime Gold Member

Drew

Sorry, just had to say that car looks incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako View Post
Its time to get new exhaust for my 69. I currently have headers straight pipe to mufflers and drops down before the rear end. It has 2.5 pipes and Elderbrock mufflers. The car sound nice when its moving, not to loud and not quiet. But idle, its to quiet and not very intemidating. Im thinking about Magnaflow or Flowmaster system exiting the back. Would i have problems going 3"?will it bottom out? The car is at stock hight. Any pictures of your setups and advice would be much appreciated.

If this post is similar to existing thread, please post the link.
Thanks guys.

Old Jun 30th, 09, 07:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Gary

Nice car ! I just went through the muffler sound syndrome this past couple weeks. I ended up with a pypes 2.5" exhaust on my BB with an x pipe. The racepro mufflers are to timid for me so I bought the streetpro chambered mufflers. Louder but kinda raggy sounding. I ordered the super 40 flowmasters and they are just in between and I am happy with them. I temporarily had red hots directly off the headers with turndowns. They sounded great but too loud and you got a headache after a while...from the fumes too I'm happy with the flowmaster super 40's and even though they are a deeper case I dont have any clearance issues. My tailpipes come out in the 67 stock locartions between the quaters and the leafs. If they were dumped at the axle it would be loud. Good luck listening to sound clips!

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...=camaroRS1.jpg

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l164/traxunderground/

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
Old Jul 1st, 09, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech

sako

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
Andy, your car sounds nice. I want mine to sound like that at idle.
Keep the pictures coming.
Does anyone have nice pictures of 69 with the 2.5 magnaflow out the back?
Old Jul 1st, 09, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech

The louder it sounds at idle usually means it's very obnoxious inside while cruising around. I tried the V-Force 3" chambered mufflers(similar to Flowmasters) on my 70 SS396 and it was insane, way too loud with horrible resonance. I swapped them out for the Summit 3" super turbos and it sounded healthy at idle but you could talk to someone in the car with the windows down while cruising at 65 mph. You probably only need 2.5" so try swapping out mufflers first, but when you run full tailpipes it will always sound quieter up in the driver's seat.
Old Jul 2nd, 09, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech

sako

I like the looks of the exhaust dropping down at the rear end, but i do not like the fumes and vibration. Thats why i want them to exit straight out the back.
Specially now that i have my little 2 year old boy ridding with me in the back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement