GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Dec 27th, 09, 06:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Default 454 or 383 stroker, what to buy?

Happy Holidays to everyone.....

I am ready to purchase a new engine and I'm looking for opinions on which way to go. My car is currently set up for a sbc. I realize the cost will be about $1,500 - $2,000 more if I go with the 454. I have a list of all the parts I need to convert to a bbc (frame mounts, headers etc...). Both engines will be build to about 450HP, however the 383 will have a little less tq @450. I just want a nice street motor, not looking to race.

What are the pro's and con's of each? I always thought I would get a bbc however, after doing quite a bit of research the 383 makes a lot of sense.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thx,

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 27th, 09, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech

Tom

Smile Re: 454 or 383 stroker, what to buy?

If you want The BIGGEST go with a Big Block. I personally would go with a 383 or larger Small block. I think the 383 will handle better due to less front end weight. Some guy's will say a big block weighs the same if you use aluminum heads, intake etc. Well what happens if you go all aluminum on the small block ? Many people like the WOW factor of having a big block. Big Block stuff is expensive ! The choice is yours !
69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Old Dec 27th, 09, 07:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Keith

Default Re: 454 or 383 stroker, what to buy?

I've got a 383...awesome all around...stick w/ the small block and save some cash...
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
Old Dec 27th, 09, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech

kelly

big block with alum. heads....always go big, small blocks cant compete with big block torque...engine for engine that is...
Old Dec 28th, 09, 05:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

BILL

383..pros/..light weight fast....cons/..to much room under the hood when you open it!!/no thread for small blocks........................454 ..pros/...gobs of power, looks great under the hood and you wont be sorry you went with a 383, you will be cool and you can post a pic in the big block sign up thread..cons/...none!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 28th, 09, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech

Paul

Talking Re: 454 or 383 stroker, what to buy?

383ci all the way!!, Nice reving engines with good torque. Save the bigblocks/boat anchors for the dump trucks.
Old Dec 28th, 09, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech

Mark

when I was figuring this out on my '68 I calculated that a small block with alum. heads is something like 175 lbs lighter than an iron b.b. so, when I drop 25 lbs after the holidays it wil be an even 200 lbs! use the money you save to get a KICK A** exhaust to go with it.
Old Dec 28th, 09, 09:28 AM
Lifetime Gold Member

Drew

Go with the 383 if you have the car setup for it already. JMO

Have to agree with Bill though, there is no sound like a BB starting and idling, and they fill the engine compartment very nicely!

FYI - I wouldn't give up my 468 for anything, accept of course a 572!

Last edited by ddx77; Dec 28th, 09 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added
Old Dec 28th, 09, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech

Bill

Seems like you can build just about any engine these days to obtain your desired hp & tq that you want for the street. I think there was a time a decade or so ago when the big block had the obvious advantage but technology advancements have really elevated the potential a small block can achieve. So would not say is so cut and dry as it used to be. Yes, the small blocks can be built lighter and that will likely translate into a handling advantage and more mpgs. One advantage of the big-block would have to be that it sounds better to my ears - fuller, lower tone to the exhaust note. Not to say a small block sounds bad by any means but simply hard to beat the sound of more cubes pumpin. I suppose my ideal setup would be a supercharged, stroked small block. To me the sound of the supercharger whistling surpasses the big block throaty growl any day and then you have all the power on demand you want and also better mpgs when you're coastin down the hiway. I realize turbo's have their advantage as well since don't require engine power to operate like the supercharger but then you sacrifice ultimate sound which to me is important. Maybe supercharging is more then you want to spend or deal with though but just thought I'd throw it out there.
Old Dec 28th, 09, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech

Tom

Smile Re: 454 or 383 stroker, what to buy?

You could also go with an LS7 !
69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Old Dec 28th, 09, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech

Neither, go with a 434 like mine.
Old Dec 28th, 09, 01:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Eric

small block pros-lighter ,cheaper cons-thats all i can say good about a small block big block cons- heavier than a small block,PROs- more power with a milder disposition compared to getting the same power out of a small block,a big block camaro will always draw more attention,appraise for more and sell for more(excluding originalZ28 or some exotic race smallblock)
Old Dec 28th, 09, 01:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Rat motor all the way. Then again I'm biased (see sig)...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
Old Dec 28th, 09, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWindows View Post
Rat motor all the way. Then again I'm biased (see sig)...
I guess I'm biased too......see my signature as well !!!!!!!

David F.
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons
Check Out My Camaro
661 Horsepower 468
Old Dec 28th, 09, 10:17 PM

Paul

Once you go big you wont go back...Massive torque is what you want in a street rod and the bbc is the way too go.
Price is almost as cheap as building a strong small block these days and you can sell all your old small block stuff to some small block guy...
Find a good 70's 454 with 049 or 781 heads and you have the beginning of a budget street monster. Get some bigger valves, small dome pistons and a hydroroller cam kit and away you go!!
Or ask Mark (VORTECPRO) about his bbc combo's. Seen him post here before and heard nothing but great reviews of his work.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Engine      Current Topic: 454 or 383 stroker, what to buy?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.