Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Jul 14th, 10, 10:58 AM
Senior Tech

Default Re: 400 sbc question about running hot?

Agree, do what you want to do.

As far as Dart blocks are concerned,..from here:

http://www.dartheads.com/products/en...ne-blocks.html

...is this:

"Scalloped outer water jacket walls improve coolant flow around the cylinder barrels to equalize temperatures."

Obviously Dart addressed the problem of hot spots (steam pockets).

And from World Products, here:

http://www.worldcastings.com/product...ron-block.html

...is this:

"The MOTOWN II boasts 152 fluid ounces of coolant per side and has demonstrated stability lauded by racers and professional engine builders alike."

...and this:

"Water Jackets: Expanded for better cooling"

Again, both Dart and World, addressed the problems of cooling problems and hot spots (steam pockets).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 14th, 10, 01:08 PM
Senior Tech

Dave

Wink Re: 400 sbc question about running hot?

Cub not all 400 blocks are alike. Some have additional cooling holes in the decks and I'm NOT talking about the steam holes. Ligenfelter addresses this in his books and recommends adding the 7/16" cooling holes at the outer deck surfaces between and below the boresof the middle cylinders if yours doesn't already have them. This helps provide additional cooling to the siamesed exhaust ports of the cylinder heads, the hot spot. Also Ligenfelter, Yunick and others suggest tapping the large 3/4" coolant holes above the bores on you block deck surfaces with a NPT tap and installing Moroso deck plugs. While they arguably help strengthen the block deck surface they primarily restrict the volume of coolant that is allowed to move up into the heads at the intake side. This isn't where it's needed and also can prevent adequate coolant to the rear cylinders. The deck plugs reduce the hole from 3/4" to 3/16" and divert more coolant to the rear cylinder water jackets before it's allowed to move upward. If you do this mod, it's eary to do, go slow with the tap, keep testing the plug, you want the plug to tighten BEFORE all the plug is run down into the deck. Leave a slight amount above the deck and it'll be machined flush when the block is decked.

Another recommended action is to insert a brass plug into the bypass port on the passenger side leg of the water pump. Many aftermarket pumps come with this plug already installed.
Old Jul 15th, 10, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech

Chet

My 406 runs all day long with no issues, I do run a 2 row Griffin radiator, dual electric fans from a 4th gen z-28 or trans am, and yes I had the steam holes drilled into my Dart aluminum heads per their instructions. On the hot days such as today when the temps get into the 90's it will run at 190-195 sitting in traffic and start dropping as soon as I move. I run a high flow aluminum water pump with a 50/50 mixture of water and anti-freeze with some water wetter for good measure. You'll love the power and torque of a 406 without a doubt.
White and silver 82 Z-28 with a built 406 running a built 700R4 trans with 3000 stall convertor with 3.73 rear gears. Maroon interior with B+M mega shifter Autometer gauges. Custom 17" wheels and tires and C-5 Vette front brakes. Rear discs coming.
Old Jul 15th, 10, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech

Steps

Quote:
On the hot days such as today when the temps get into the 90's it will run at 190-195 sitting in traffic and start dropping as soon as I move
A cooling system stock or whatever, ambiant temps make stuff all difference with engine cooling...expept if running in snow and a very low thermstat, runs colder.
And it good a few more guys are coming forward and basically saying so.
Ambiante temps mean squat..if the do effect, something is wrong.
Old Jul 15th, 10, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech

Steiner

Alright alright alright. The 400 running hot thing more often then not came from running non-400 heads on a GM 400 block. GM put the steam holes in the block because the way it was cast it could have a pocket develop in certain spots and under certain conditions. 400 heads and gaskets have corresponding holes that let any steam that may form and get trapped at continuous low RPM operation (which Lingenfelter called under 3500RPM) up into the head so it can get swept away. High speed operation without steam holes in the heads can sweep the pockets away on its own. If you know that and you know how your engine is used, it's up to you whether or not to drill the holes in the heads.

Now, I think the confusion comes about because 400's don't necessarily "run hot" by the normal definition which is going by the coolant temperature. The pockets that can form cause a localized hot spot in a place on the block which is subject to high heat which is also a relatively thin spot. Over time this can lead to a crack forming and when it has happened I'll bet the majority of the time it has happened with non-400 heads without steam holes corresponding to the block holes. GM most likely did the steam hole thing not because it was the best option but because it was the cheapest and easiest.

My question is this: If every reputable head manufacturer on the planet says to drill the steam holes in the heads if they are being used on a GM 400 block, why would anyone not do it when using a GM 400 block regardless of what anyone else says? It certainly can't hurt, doesn't cost much, and takes no time. It's like saying that no one in your immediate circle of friends has ever lost an eye while using a grinder therefore safety glasses are never necessary.

The aftermarket blocks do not require it. Why? Because they do not have steam holes in the block. Why? Because the water jackets have been redesigned so that pockets do not form like in a GM block and the area is thicker.

Owner of a Dart SHP 400 block with AFR heads and NO steam holes.
538 lb-ft - 500 hp
www.cmengines.com
'69 Camaro X44 Beater - SFT 327 - M20 - Moser 4.10
'02 Z/28 vert - stock
Old Jul 16th, 10, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech

Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Alright alright alright. The 400 running hot thing more often then not came from running non-400 heads on a GM 400 block. GM put the steam holes in the block because the way it was cast it could have a pocket develop in certain spots and under certain conditions. 400 heads and gaskets have corresponding holes that let any steam that may form and get trapped at continuous low RPM operation (which Lingenfelter called under 3500RPM) up into the head so it can get swept away. High speed operation without steam holes in the heads can sweep the pockets away on its own. If you know that and you know how your engine is used, it's up to you whether or not to drill the holes in the heads.

Now, I think the confusion comes about because 400's don't necessarily "run hot" by the normal definition which is going by the coolant temperature. The pockets that can form cause a localized hot spot in a place on the block which is subject to high heat which is also a relatively thin spot. Over time this can lead to a crack forming and when it has happened I'll bet the majority of the time it has happened with non-400 heads without steam holes corresponding to the block holes. GM most likely did the steam hole thing not because it was the best option but because it was the cheapest and easiest.

My question is this: If every reputable head manufacturer on the planet says to drill the steam holes in the heads if they are being used on a GM 400 block, why would anyone not do it when using a GM 400 block regardless of what anyone else says? It certainly can't hurt, doesn't cost much, and takes no time. It's like saying that no one in your immediate circle of friends has ever lost an eye while using a grinder therefore safety glasses are never necessary.

The aftermarket blocks do not require it. Why? Because they do not have steam holes in the block. Why? Because the water jackets have been redesigned so that pockets do not form like in a GM block and the area is thicker.

Owner of a Dart SHP 400 block with AFR heads and NO steam holes.
Very well put.
White and silver 82 Z-28 with a built 406 running a built 700R4 trans with 3000 stall convertor with 3.73 rear gears. Maroon interior with B+M mega shifter Autometer gauges. Custom 17" wheels and tires and C-5 Vette front brakes. Rear discs coming.
Old Jul 16th, 10, 11:10 PM
Senior Tech

Sean

1968rs former 406 sbc, now a 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor

"I aint never seen talking win me nothin'" -Marshawn Lynch
Old Jul 18th, 10, 08:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Not to highjack the thread, but where should the holes be drilled? How do you determine the exact location and size?
Thanks
Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement