Team Camaro Tech banner

Carolina Blue 1969

28K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  Bart Collins 
#1 ·
I have a special paint 1969 RS..It has the dash paint code (special paint)on the cowl tag. It was a special order car via the COPO process and was painted Carolina Blue from the factory. It also has blue interior with blue vinyl top(code c on cowl tag). I have heard several stories about the Carolina blue cars. Most seem to agree they were regional cars and most sold in the Carolinas. I am also in North Carolina. I was wondering if anyone had any info on these cars. Or does any info exist anywhere? I would also like to make contact with any other Carolina blue 69 owners that are out there to see what they may know,if anything about these cars. I know of 3 other cars presently other than mine. If you have any real info, please comment. Thanks

#2 ·
I believe that shade of blue was used in several parts of the country. There was a "colorado blue" Z28 that was ordered as a JL8 but the option was canceled before the car was built. It has paperwork and has been for sale over and over again but has the same shade of blue. I think in UCLA area there are cars painted with that same shade to match the school colors. They are basically non standard paint cars. It's interesting to see some of the custom combinations that were built though.

#3 ·
Hey ,carolina won the tournament!!

#4 ·
In the mid eighties a racing friend of mine had a baby blue, or Carolina blue, '68 camaro. I don't know if it was the factory color, but the next time I see him I will ask him about it.

I do know he sold the car to a guy who took it up to NY and ran it into a ditch.

#17 ·
A friend of mine had a 69 RS/SS that was carolina blue with white vinyl top and white standard interior. It had fiber optics, power windows, speed minder, special inst and had the -- paint code. That car was supposed to be an original Oklahoma car but cant confirm.

When I worked for Worldwide muscle cars here in the OKC erea we bought the car and it was sold from there some time in 2002. Have no idea where it went after that.

#18 ·
Hey, NC guy here as well. back in high school a kid had a carolina/colorado blue 69 malibu, medium blue interior, buckets and console, tissue holder, AC, 300-350/th350, 3:31 posi 12 bolt, double dash paint code. his mom bought the car new and passed it down to him as a hand-me down.....keep in mind this was in the late 80's when no one cared about a special paint code or that a high school kid was trashing it. the car was cool and i tried to buy it many times but he wouldnt let it go but wouldnt take care of it either. first a kinked fender, then a smashed quarter, and on and on. then i lost track of him and the car as well. then about 5 years ago friend of mine found and bought the car which by then needed piles of attention....and to the best of my knowledge he still has it and its probably an original SS 396 by now.

#19 ·
I bought my RS car with the intention of restoring a Lemans Blue car to keep and drive. When i got into it and discovered the dash paint code and the Carolina Blue, I simply couldnt bring myself to do anything but take it back to its original state. This included the code C blue vinyl top. There are no blue vinyl tops available thru any reproduction suppliers, so I had to chase down NOS Levant grain material and have the top manufacturered. The top was a big deal. I spoke with several experts on the paint used to replicate Carolina Blue in 1969 and found there is really no exact color know. Apparently dealers/individuals simply chose something close. The was a Dupont Carolina Blue in 1970, but not in 1969. Kurt from the CRG and Jerry M both knew of the cars, but not much about the color. Since the cowl sides of my car had remarkable original paint still present, we simply painted test panels till we came upon the exact match at least for my car. The color used was code 80 azure/powder blue. Its a 1969 Oldsmobile color. This makes sense in a way as there could very well have been a 1969 azure/powder blue Olds on the dealer lot at the time the order was placed for my Camaro. Also as a side note..I was told several months ago about some UNC homecoming cars. The person tells me said he read about them in some car magazine. He also said Rick at Ricks Camaro knew the story. I have had no luck following up on this persons story. Anyone know anything about this? The person emailing me was fairly convincing, but said he was kinda fuzzy on where and when he heard/read about this..Any one know more?

#20 ·
I am a first time visitor to this site and you peaked my interest with your carolina blue '69. You said you saw the color on your cowl or something like that. Just a suggestion but...have you checked behind the door panels? The original paint color should be there even if its been over-sprayed. Also, did you ever hear anything from Rick's Camaro's?

I might be wrong but I think PB and Azure Blue are two different shades of blue at least that's what I've been able to find viewing cars labeled AB on the web.

#21 ·
Not a Carolina blue questions, but a few years ago I was at a car show in Michigan, and saw a bright red 69 Camaro. I had a Matador red 69 and I knew this one was wrong.
When I went to look at it the owner said that it was orginal paint with a dash in the code. He showed me every nook and cranny where it was original. He said it was Monza red.
My question is were these cars done at the dealership, or where they direct from the factory with that paint. Monza was a Crovette color only for that year.

#25 ·
#22 ·
Finally found a site that deals with this topic...can you guys help? Is Carolina Blue a factory GM paint or did it go by another name? I have a '69 that is very simular to this Carolina Blue. Problem is, this CB color is slightly darker than mine. The research I've done lists two paint names offered by GM for 1st gens. They were offered by Olds & Buick. Olds offered Powder Blue & Buick offered Azure Blue and were both code 80.

All the photo's I've seen on the net that are listed as Carolina Blue, Azure Blue & Powder blue all look different. However, CB & AB look very simular & PB looks lighter than both of these.

Here is a website that shows a group of euro cars lined up & are all (according to the site) powder blue; tr-register.com.au/files/powderblue.htm. This is the closest example to my car I have found.

Appologies for using euro's as an example...but can anyone shed some light on this topic?

#23 ·
Azure Turquoise is not even close to powder blue.

The Z/28 pictured above was ordered new by Lyle Mader and he was from South Dakota and ordered it through a dealer in South Dakota. He sold it quite a few years ago. I just think it was a special order color.

#26 ·
Thanks Mike...how different would you say Mader's Z is compared to powder blue? And do you have any pics or websites that you visited that has the correct powder blue color?
The car pictured above and below is the old Mader z/28, so thats the color. Its definately Carolina Blue or Sky Blue. the car to the right is Azure Turquoise for comparison.

#29 ·
Anthony, I just sold my car..Decided to pay off my house and go back to school..My car was painted at the factory in code 80 azure blue..It was actually a Buick color for 1969..There was a true Carolina Blue introduced by Dupont in 1970 and this color found its way onto several second generation cars and some Chevelles..Prior to this it seems folks just came up with their own definition of Carolina Blue..Honestly the person who ordered my car may have just liked the Buick color and it had nothing to do with UNC..My car was a special paint car with the dash for the paint code..It was ordered by someone who specified the color (could have been a dealer who suggested it) Or it could have been as simple as seeing it on a Buick in the Dealers Inventory..Its almost impossible to say for sure..I have a few pics i can send you, if you send me an email address...Thanks Randy

#32 ·
Jeremiah, I posted a thread on CRG; camaros.org in "General Discussion" under "Carolina Blue/Powder Blue '69". Kurt Sonen recognized my car ('69 RS/SS) as the same car that sold at WWMC back in 2001/2002. If you visit this thread you can see how this came about.

The reason I am trying to contact you is because Kurt mentioned that you know this car and that you might have even worked at this dealership during the sale of the car. I have tried to get in touch with WWMC. Reason...I'm trying to get as much information as I can relating to the car.

When I first logged onto their site I noticed the car was on their front page. I also logged onto some vehicles that are for sale and they have great pics and info on each one of them. Is there anyway you can help me get in touch with them? :)

#33 ·
I have 69 rs/ss I started to restore have found light blue paint under roof rail chrome under carpet mat on floor board,on rear window shelf ,under back up lights. Car has -- paint code and was sold at Jerry Roth chevrolet in Lakewood colorado. Trying to find some way to document color to this car.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.