68 rs Hideaway headlights - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Welcome Wagon New here? Please introduce yourself.

Old Jun 10th, 11, 05:09 AM

BRYAN

Default 68 rs Hideaway headlights

Hello everyone,I am so happy to be on this forum. I am in the final stages of my restoration of my 68 rs and I am having alot of questions on the installation on the hideaway headlight kit.First of all I better tell you that I am going all stock and I went with the vacuum system and I was wondering if anybody would know how to install the headlight door spring for one thing. When I first got the car it didn't have a complete system in it so I really didn't have much to go by.From the factory manual is really vague about the installation.I have a few more questions but I will just take it one at a time. If anyone out there has installed this kit in a 68 camaro before I would really appreciate some pictures. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 10th, 11, 06:42 AM
Moderator .. Jim

Jim

Default Re: 68 rs Hideaway headlights

Welcome to TC Bryan... its best to post your individual questions in the proper section where most of our members hang out. for RS doors Id suggest the BODY section, as it relates to body parts. Mine work great with vacuum.

Photos of my Camaro for viewing
Old Jun 10th, 11, 07:38 AM

Brian

Welcome aboard Bryan. Plenty of 68 RS guys on here to help you with your problem. While I'm good with the RS stuff on my 69 don't know much about the RS headlight mechanical stuff on the 68's but can't be much different then 69.

Post a new thread with the details of your issue as Jim suggests in the Body section and include some pictures and see who jumps on it there.

Brian
Old Jun 10th, 11, 02:29 PM

Steve

Just rejoined the forum myself after seeing your post about missing components in your hideaway headlights. Have a 68rs project that is nearing completion. Have the headlight modules all rebuilt, ready to reinstall as soon as the paint on the body dries. I can give you info and send pics as needed if I know what you are looking for. Mine just happen to be in their out-of-body experience, so are easy to see. Hope to have the lights installed in the next 2 weeks.
Old Jun 10th, 11, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech

Paul

Thumbs up Re: 68 rs Hideaway headlights

Welcome to team camaro!!
Old Jun 10th, 11, 10:17 PM
Senior Tech

Garth

Welcome aboard Bryan... yep, that pesky spring can be a PIA to install. Conditions are kinda tight and the spring is pretty stiff. I put one end of the spring in a vice and pulled the other a few times just to get it limbered up. On installation, I forget which end I hooked first, the tab on the housing or the "retainer" (3925473-4)....think the tab first. Then used a vice-grips on the other end of the spring and pulled it to the retainer. If that don't work well for you, try hooking the retainer first, then the tab.....

Good of luck
Advertisement