Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Apr 24th, 12, 07:42 PM
Team Member

Dean

Default Painting exhaust manifolds.

I'm replacing the gaskets on my exhaust manifolds and while I have them off I would like to paint/refinish them. I'm hoping someone could recommend a particular paint to use or any tips on this project would be greatly appreciated.

"The true measure of a man is not where he stands in time of comfort and convenience but where he stands in time of challenge and controversy."
MLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 24th, 12, 08:13 PM
Senior Tech

Al

Default Re: Painting exhaust manifolds.

I've had good luck with VHT SP998 Cast Iron. Best if you can sandblast them before painting.
Old Apr 24th, 12, 08:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

jared

x2 on the sand blasting !! I just did mine with POR manifold paint , looks great, but have not fired up the motor yet !!! I got it from ricks, it cost 30.00 a pint. I put 2 coats on and have 3/4 left !!
Old Apr 25th, 12, 04:09 AM
Team Member

Dean

Classic Industries sells a "Manifold Dressing"...anyone have any luck with that kind of stuff?

"The true measure of a man is not where he stands in time of comfort and convenience but where he stands in time of challenge and controversy."
MLK
Old Apr 25th, 12, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech

A dressing (Calyx brand) is what I use on my 396 manifolds. Works well, but I think if the manifolds are really scaly and nasty, it would not work as well.

I first tried Eastwood hi-temp powdercoat on then new repro manifolds. Scratched all to heck on the UCA studs during engine install; not a prep or application issue, as they were done with the assistance of a couple of friends who work for Eastwood. Found out that the high temp powder coat was very, very fragile.

Stripped the powdercoat, re-prepped the manifolds, and painted with Eastwood hi-temp cast iron gray. Still burned off eventually.

Bought the Calyx at Eastwood, and though it can take a while to work in the first time (on newer, relatively smooth castings), it does work well and will last for a season of cruising, as long as the manifolds were clean and don't get gunk dripped on them.

On the subject of the gasket replacement, was that because you had one or more leaking? Have you checked the faces of the head flange and manifold to see if they are straight? Though included in every rebuild kit, the factory did not install a gasket of any kind between the head surface and exhaust manifold. I have heard of manifolds that warped over the years, but I don't know how common it is or the percentage of factory GM manifolds to be warped just from normal heat-cycling/operation, or whether warpage is a result of someone installing them incorrectly later in the engine's life. On all the small blocks I have done/owned I have used headers, so that is why I never spent time checking factory SBC manifolds for warp; maybe someone else here can elaborate.

Anyway, if someone previously installed manifold gaskets on your car, it would be good to lay a straight edge across the mounting surface and see if you even need them.
Old Apr 25th, 12, 01:38 PM
Senior Tech

Steps

Painting cast manifolds...I have yet to find one that is good engough the last on a daily driver....
I have tried everything from pot belly black thru to HT engine paints/manifold paints to hammerlight...and everything in between...they either eventually burn off, or discolour, or just peel, or disappear over a yr of driving.
I have resigned a few yrs back to clean down, phosporic acid (pure rust kill no additives) and pot belly stove black....and I re apply in the car by spray painting with a air brush...
1 one my regular early spring clean /service jobs on a sunny sunday afternoon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement