Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Build Projects follow along start to finish

Old Jun 5th, 12, 03:48 PM
Team Member

John

Default Re: 67 Camaro - Dad and Son build

I really like the shifter boot and retainer your using. Do you have a part# and brand? Great job on the project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 6th, 12, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR67RS View Post
I really like the shifter boot and retainer your using. Do you have a part# and brand? Great job on the project
Thanks man. The shifter boot is from jegs and is 5 1/4" X 6 7/16" . Nice and cheap also..here is the link..
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...62380/10002/-1
Old Jun 14th, 12, 07:53 AM
Senior Tech

In the past week we have mounted the drivers coil pack in the drivers fender out of the way from heat being that I felt it was too close to the header. I also ordered and recieved a full magnaflow exhaust (15899) for the car. After some tweeking and a little welding it is on..full 3" dumping right before the rear..I have to get some pictures..In other news I bought a used anvil spoiler from a member on here..Thanks Brian. So I had Timmy mount that last night..Let me tell you that having your brand new carbon trunk lid drilled into is not a pleasant thing..but shes all done now..

So im hoping the car can go to be broke in/tuned this saturday and then I can wrap up the small things to get the car on the road for a shake down this summer. Between me, my brother, cousin, friends and the old man a lot of man hours have been put in recently to get her ready. There is still a lot to be done but the car is far enough alone at the moment to be tuned. Or so I hope...

Heres my done list as of right now...

Mount ecu/relay panel - done
Fill transmission with fluid - done
Fill rear with fluid - done
Tighten all rear bolts/hardware - done
Mount driver coil packs - done
Bleed clutch - done
Tighty up wires for ecu/under dash - done
Install coolant overflow - done
Install driveshaft - done

Still needs to be done...
Install E-Brake
Recheck the driveline angle, adjust
Put clamps on the filler neck
Re-bleed brakes
Install steering box & column - box is done...still have to do the column
Hook up return for power steering line
Wire turn/Healight signal lights inside the car
Install VSS pigtail
Install passenger seat
Install front, rear, windows
Figure out why tach is not working
Figure out why volt is not working
Do final run for water temp wire

Old Jun 18th, 12, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech

So the car was set up to go to the tuner on Saturday. After a long Friday night it was as ready as it could be. They will be breaking the motor in and then tuning it all on the dyno. So my dad and brother got over on Saturday and we loaded the car up. Well the car is so low that the headers/exhaust where giving us problems. Once I get it back I will be addressing all these problems. I’m thinking that either way the headers are coming off and I'm going to have them pulled closer to the floor for more clearance. I will probably have to raise the front of the car a bit also and do some rolling/pulling to the front fenders to not have any issues in the future. Other than that the front chin spoiler was making me nervous so we pulled that off before loading it. We get to the shop and start to unload it but half way down the ramp the car stops. Final we drag it off jack the rear of the car up and try to spin the wheel. Won't move at all. So I crack the bleeder screw and then they turn. The head shop guy named Dale thinks either there was too much fluid and it wasn’t breathing?? Anyone have any suggestions or herd of this..? Makes no sense to me...they are going to dig in and hopefully fix it without costing me too much. More progress as I hear it..Here are some pictures from the weekend.

Also here is the video from last week that my brother took with the exhaust on dumped before the rear axle.
Old Jun 18th, 12, 07:45 AM

Tommie

cool build!

just read the whole thread for the 1st time....
Old Aug 4th, 12, 02:20 PM
Senior Tech

So I disappeared for awhile but have been working on the car. After a week at injection connection Dale called me and said there was a couple issues with the car.

1) The brakes where locking up and won't release.
2) The motor threw the belt
3) Both axel seals are leaking
4) The ecu is throwing a crank relearn code and won't take the relearn.

So I went and picked up the car. He did put a rough tune on it to keep the car running. I brought the car home took all the brake lines apart and blew everything out with air and bleed them all again. Fixed the issue. The crank pulley I'm not really sure on this one. I changed the crank pulley to another one which I don't think did anything. The crank pulley is still in 3/16". I'm still working on this issue. I called moser and got new axles seals and was told on the phone that the fill on there rear is NOT on the rear cover. It's located on the passenger side pumpkin. So between installing the old seals without a seal installer and it being way over full. That issue has been fixed. The crank relearn me and my buddy John tried to fix with a tech II but again is didn't take. Luckily Dale figured out that the values can be turned to 0%, which is what we did.

So once all these issues where addressed. I set up to bring the car back on August 3. That's what we did. Got the car there around 11 and was all done by 3. Great experience with injection connect. Dales got a great crew and is very knowledgable with these cars. Being that it was 90+ outside and high humidity Dale feels there is a bit left on the table, so there might be a retune in the fall..now I was told the car made around 540hp & 570tq at the wheels. But when I look at the graph it shows differently..who knows. Here a quick dyno video and the graph.

So now I still have a few things to do until I can register her and actually take her out. Here's the list

1)install front and rear windows
2)wire turn signals
3)put bulbs in turn signals and tail lights
4)buy and install front and rear sway bars
5)get longer power steering lines
6)dial in suspension and get an alignment
7)recheck driveline angles.
8)do big smokey burnout with some skynyrd blasting and get a video for YouTube!!!
Old Sep 7th, 12, 08:59 AM
Senior Tech

So not too much going on in the last month. Iíve been pushing hard to get the car on the road, which has happened. Got the front and back windows installed without the trim for the moment. (Going to try to go flush mount when they come back out for paint and ditch the trim all together if I can) Put the front grill in, all new bulbs in the whole car. So everything works at the moment. Bought and installed ridetechs muscle bar. Had to trim the frame where they welded on these big corner things on the front of the shock towers. Other than that it fit perfectly with my stock lower control arms. Iíll have to get some pictures up. Also my birthday has passed and my wonderful wife bought me a wood nardi wheel for my birthday which has also been installed.

So after all that was done I really wanted to get over to the last car show of the year on august 28th. It was around 5 miles from the house. So the night before I got the car registered which gave me 5 days to drive it before inspection. I had the car registered under standard plates. Not antique or classic - which in PA require no annual inspection of any kind but you can only drive the car 1 day a week and it should be to or from some type of car event. I didnít build the car to not drive it so that weighed my decision. Which opened up a whole can of worms with inspection. So Tuesday comes and I head out to the car show with some friends and I get about a mile before the show and the car throws a check engine light and goes into limp mode at a red lights. We pushed the car to a driveway and it literally dies out. Before it died I looked at the volt meter and it was reading around 8 volts. So I knew it was something to do with the charging system. Got the car towed through hagerty which is part of my insurance. So all in all it worked out. Come to find out that the alternator was not receiving signal from the ecu. Fixed the issue and everything is now working correctly. Big thanks to John over at PSI for the great customer service in figuring out the problem with me. So on this past Saturday I took the car over to the inspection shop to have it looked over to figure out what I need to have done to legally get a sticker. Here is my next list of problems to be addressed:

1)Need windshield wipers
2)Exhaust needs to exit the rear of the car
3)Need a drivers mirror
4)Needs rear reverse lights
5)Seat belts need to be installed
6)Horn needs to work

All of these seem to not be too bad with the exception of the pipes and the wiper. I really dont want to have to put out money for the custom pipes from prodigy. Im thinking I am going to try my self to get them mocked up and then have them welded at a shop. My labor is free. For the wipers I dont have the cash for the dse kit which is what I want. Im going to try to make the stocker work for the time being and see if that gets me by. I have to buy a side window and the rear rs lights as I dont have them..so if anyone has some used parts please feel free to let me know..we can barter also. Here are some pictures from the last month. More to come..

Old Sep 7th, 12, 11:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

If the decision was mine to make--- you'd win ENGINE OF THE YEAR for this site. It just looks mean and lean and ready to rip it up! Sounds incredible!!!!

Nice work!

Helpful build pics+tips from my restoration:
http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...ro%20%20SS350/
My build thread:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146455
Old Nov 9th, 12, 07:55 AM
Senior Tech

Thanks man...you should hear it in person..makes my insides warm and fuzzy.

So not too much really going on at the moment but I am still moving along with the car..the car passed inspection after I fixed these issues:

1)Installed and put on new windshield wipers
2)Exhaust now exits the rear of the car
3)Installed a drivers mirror
4)Hooked up the rear reverse lights
5)Installed Seat belts
6)Hooked up the Horn

Drove the car for a bit but a check engine light keeps coming up for tps..after doing some digging on this the ecu has to have the parameters changed for the throttle due to it being a 102 and aftermarket. Talked to Dale and he said bring the car in and he'll take care of it no problem..so I still have to do that. There is two things keeping me from doing this..one is no ebrake and the other is the weather has been getting colder so Ill have to pick a nice day to try to get over there before winter hits being that I have no side windows or heat. For the ebrake I just finished installing this last night. it works but not great. I have to make a few more adjustments and I think it will work great. Have to get some pictures of this.

In other news after driving for a bit I felt that the shifter/steering wheel/right leg area was to tight and I wanted to try to free up some space..so the first thing I did was to try to adjust the shifter and change the position to get it more towards the passenger side a bit. Well I failed at that after breaking 2 allen sockets and the allen key head off in the first bolt. The next day a quick call to Josh over at American Powertrain he tells me that the whole shifter I have it old and they have since revised it to have an internal seal to stop it from seeping. He offers to send me a brand new one and for me to just send the old one back. So that’s what I did...got the new one and took me around 2-3 hours to install. It was a bit tight in that tunnel trying to take out and replace 6 allen bolts by hand...but its done now and I can adjust it. Got some more room from that but I still wanted more so I started looking for a tilt column. Steve Rupp had a brushed aluminum ididit one for sale and I bought it from him and as always what a pleasure to do business with him. Called up ididit and ordered their steering wheel adapter and new rag joint. Got the order and the rag joint was wrong (my fault, counted the splines wrong) sent back the wrong one and am waiting on the new one to come back. Did a quick mock up with the column and with the tilt feature I think this room issue will be resolved all together.

So being that I can’t leave anything alone. I talked to Timmy the other day and we talked about starting the paint process over the winter..so he came over last Sunday and we pulled the whole front end apart so he could take the front fenders and weld up the lower extension to the fenders to give the car a cleaner look. He is also going to get me the primer I need to lay on the car for the blocking..ect. I also ordered the semi-gloss hotrod black single stage that will cover all the interior panels, dash, whole engine compartment, and rear tail panel. So that will get started in the near future. There’s lots of scuffing/blocking and prep work to be done so if your around the area and want to lend a hand let me know. The beer and food are on me.

And for my last update ill let the last picture do the talking..haha..

Much more to come..
Old Nov 9th, 12, 08:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

Just saw a plate on a Chevy Sierra--lowered with a 502 BB that read:

"PONFORD"

Looking forward to seeing your Camaro in paint...

My build thread:
Old Nov 10th, 12, 08:49 PM

Arpad Sayko

You mentioned having to get the exhaust out the rear. Is this a condition of PA inspection? My father-in-law, who lives in Reading, is building a 68 for me and his intention is to have the exhaust end before the rear. Also, I love your work.
Old Nov 12th, 12, 07:55 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6781camaro View Post
Just saw a plate on a Chevy Sierra--lowered with a 502 BB that read:

"PONFORD"

Looking forward to seeing your Camaro in paint...
Thanks for all the love. As far as the paint is concerned that makes two of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCRoadie View Post
You mentioned having to get the exhaust out the rear. Is this a condition of PA inspection? My father-in-law, who lives in Reading, is building a 68 for me and his intention is to have the exhaust end before the rear. Also, I love your work.
When I brought the car into get inspected the tech had said that the car was loud and it was. I dont want to say for certain what the PA law is but I am under the impression that the exhaust has to exit the car, not from under the car. Side exhaust is an option but I would think that it would just be too loud. This issue lit a fire for me either way. The car was just to loud for me and I needed to reslove the issue for inspection so I killed both birds with one stone. Now you only have to pass inspection in pa if you want regular plates as I did. I can drive anywhere I want night/day when I want and cops can not bother me. If I did classic/antique plates I could not get custom plates and by law you are only "supposed" to drive on the week end and it should be to or from some type of event. You can only drive the car once a week. If you are caught doing otherwise a fine can be issued. I built this car to drive and do not want problems if I decide to take the car out on a saturday and sunday to get pizza with my kid. But if you decide to go with classic/antique there is no inspection..so no pipes is fine...no seatbelts..sure..you can get away with quite a bit from what Ive seen..so there is some pro vs cons...goodluck in which ever you choose.
Old Nov 13th, 12, 04:23 PM

Arpad Sayko

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostin05blacksti View Post
Thanks for all the love. As far as the paint is concerned that makes two of us.

When I brought the car into get inspected the tech had said that the car was loud and it was. I dont want to say for certain what the PA law is but I am under the impression that the exhaust has to exit the car, not from under the car. Side exhaust is an option but I would think that it would just be too loud. This issue lit a fire for me either way. The car was just to loud for me and I needed to reslove the issue for inspection so I killed both birds with one stone. Now you only have to pass inspection in pa if you want regular plates as I did. I can drive anywhere I want night/day when I want and cops can not bother me. If I did classic/antique plates I could not get custom plates and by law you are only "supposed" to drive on the week end and it should be to or from some type of event. You can only drive the car once a week. If you are caught doing otherwise a fine can be issued. I built this car to drive and do not want problems if I decide to take the car out on a saturday and sunday to get pizza with my kid. But if you decide to go with classic/antique there is no inspection..so no pipes is fine...no seatbelts..sure..you can get away with quite a bit from what Ive seen..so there is some pro vs cons...goodluck in which ever you choose.
Thanks for the reply. I plan on getting the car a standard title as well. TN laws governing car registrations seem to a bit more lenient than PA. We are a long way away from that point anyhow
Old Dec 2nd, 12, 08:14 PM
Senior Tech

So Timmy came over today being that the fenders where finished for now. I wanted to try to get over to the tuner soon to fix this check engine light that keeps coming up for the tps. Dale has to calibrate the parameters for the throttle body and that should fix the issue. I planned to drive the car over there and put some miles on the car too. Its about a half an hour from me so this would be the cars longest drive to date. So being that we blew the front end apart we reassembled it all again. The gaps and panels go together a bit easier now it seems or maybe I'm just getting good at it.. They have all been massaged in some way so I'm hoping that is the reason. The whole reason for this was to clean up the lines a bit and Timmy has came through again. It looks like it came from the factory like this. Actually when I showed some people they asked me what was done numerous times.. So I'm guessing the job looks good.

In the time I have been waiting for Timmy Ive been busy cleaning up some wiring, installed the parking brake set up, and I also finished installing the DSE wiper kit that I bought used for a good deal. Which went in awesome and works so much better that the stocker. Plus cleans it up a good bit too.

After all that I finished installing the new ididit steering column and getting that where I like it. Again a huge difference over stock, looks great and the adjustable was a must in my opinion. Next stop is back to the tuner for a quick fix and maybe even a colder weather tune... Well see..

Here is some pictures showing the stock position of the column and leg room or lack there of in 1st and 2nd..my right leg is touching the steering wheel

And now tilted all the way up. Hard to see but the steering wheel is no longer on my right leg when I'm on the gas pedal. I have about 2-3 inch of room between now. Same thing 1st and 2nd..

Overall view:

Old Dec 3rd, 12, 04:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

Looks awesome! I need a tilt column too... One suggestion--- if you are able to shorten the column's length from the firewall to the wheel, your guages will be a little more visible when the wheel is tilted. I can't really tell from the pics, so I am not sure if there is even room for any shortening. As little as a 1/4"-1/2" shorter may make a nice difference for you...

My build thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement