GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Tag Team De-coding tags and numbers.

Old Nov 10th, 12, 08:30 PM
Retired

Dennis

Default Re: Beware - Yet another X11 TT on eB@y....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmc View Post
What I just don't get is why it's not illegal to sell trim tags or re-tag cars. This is basically an ID for the car just as a VIN tag is. When you re-tag a car it's fraud. Last I knew fraud was a crime.
The VIN is the only thing the law is interested in for ID purposes and they couldn't care less about the info contained on the cowl tag. Of the three years of 1st gen half of the cowl tags don't tell you any more detailed info than assembly plant, coupe/convert, paint & interior color and build week.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 10th, 12, 08:43 PM
Senior Tech

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
The VIN is the only thing the law is interested in for ID purposes and they couldn't care less about the info contained on the cowl tag. Of the three years of 1st gen half of the cowl tags don't tell you any more detailed info than assembly plant, coupe/convert, paint & interior color and build week.
The point is it is fraud which is illegal.
Old Nov 10th, 12, 09:24 PM
Retired

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmc View Post
The point is it is fraud which is illegal.
Danny if the law took everything that could be used as a tool for fraud and made it illegal there would be nothing legal left...

I'm not defending the use of trim tags or repro trim tags to commit fraud, you just asked why the law hasn't stepped in and I explained why.

Imagine if you wanted to buy a car part and had to prove you owned the type of car that uses that part and that you were actually putting the part on said car...

One state out of 50 has passed a law against swapping trim tags. Maybe some day more will but it's not likely to be anytime soon, there are still states that don't share title records and the law says they are suppose to...

There are cars out there with repro trim tags that match the documented factory one that came on the car and was damaged. In a case like that it's almost like using a replacement fender...

I think the answer is to make the act of fraud and scamming have stiffer punishments and make it easier for victims to go after those that take advantage of them...

Old Nov 11th, 12, 11:01 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
cowl tags don't tell you any more detailed info than assembly plant, coupe/convert, paint & interior color and build week.
that is true, but an X44 or X11 coupled with a big block heater core deserves a closer look. I know of 2 X11 Yenko's that had vin (list) descrepancy's, but were very real supercars
Old Nov 11th, 12, 11:16 AM
Retired

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by novamob View Post
that is true, but an X44 or X11 coupled with a big block heater core deserves a closer look. I know of 2 X11 Yenko's that had vin (list) descrepancy's, but were very real supercars
I'm talking 1st gens... All '68's, all LOS production and early NOR production cars don't have X codes. That leaves '67s and partial production from one plant in '69 where the cowl tag provides any info to identify how the car rolled off the assembly line.

Old Nov 12th, 12, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
I'm in total agreement with you and purchased 2 ex drag cars (Gibb Nova & Scuncio Camaro) missing their TT's...because I knew the vin #'s verified their provenance. I'd never have a cowl tag made, but selling a car tag-less can prove difficult.
Old Nov 12th, 12, 11:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Roy

I would not think a missing cowl tag on an ex race car would be an issue; at least it would not with me, if I was in the market for a race car. On the other hand a fake tag on the race car would lead to credibility issues with respect to the rest of the car in my mind.
Old Nov 12th, 12, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech

The Nova (#21 of 50 built)was restored back to day1 cond (non matching #'s, of course)without a TT, but only brought 50K at auction recently, but another red Gibb unrestored/barn find/no drive train, ex racer went over 100K...go figure

the Camaro is a day2 driver and not a cookie cutter style copo as I built it to drive while maintaining its racing heritage/appearance. I like it that way, but that & the missing TT could be affecting the sale. No worries though...I'm happy to keep it around
Old Nov 12th, 12, 01:20 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsinor View Post
a fake tag on the race car would lead to credibility issues with respect to the rest of the car in my mind.
agree with you on that 100%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Tag Team      Current Topic: Beware - Yet another X11 TT on eB@y....
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.