GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

What's it worth? & ebay discussions

Old Nov 15th, 12, 02:05 PM

mike

Default Re: ZL-1 Car #66 Engine For Sale

Yes, We are the same people selling this motor and rear. The motor and rear are the only items I am selling. I do not wish to discuss any other info about the car at this present time!!!!!!! You are more than welcome to come and see motor and rear at anytime. Your eyes will not lie to you. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 15th, 12, 02:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Bryon / Big B

Is it possible this engine and BE rear were in another car (not #66) and that is the car that ended up missing (crushed/stolen/etc.)?
Old Nov 15th, 12, 03:02 PM
Retired

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001-ZLI View Post
Yes, We are the same people selling this motor and rear. The motor and rear are the only items I am selling. I do not wish to discuss any other info about the car at this present time!!!!!!! You are more than welcome to come and see motor and rear at anytime. Your eyes will not lie to you. Thank You
So why did you post anything at all?

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Nov 17th, 12, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech

John, I read most of that yenko.net thread you linked, and between this thread and that one, and the different names... I think I can't begin to understand what is actually happening here.

I don't roll in that price range anyway, but my 30-plus year love for 1st gens and my engineering background/genes made me want to try to do some kind of graph or Venn diagram for the whole situation.

If the engine is real, my question is the same as so, so many over in the yenko.net thread: why in the heck would not the owner of the 69 with that VIN (if it is 66; that I will take y'alls word for because I am not going to try to find my copy of the ZL1 VINs) NOT want to buy this engine, provided NDI shows it to be usable. I mean, the "correct" engine in #66 would be worth something to someone.

To have this drug out over more than half a decade so far, and just have it occasionally pop up when this engine shows up... it's like a soap opera. Maybe the next reality show on Velocity??
Old Nov 18th, 12, 07:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Kevin

Senario:
The new owner of the 66 car was told that the original motor was blown up and the engine now in the car is a period correct motor because that is what the dealer/seller was led to believe. No knowing that the engine was actually not blown and being stored with the rear end at the one of the original car owners (Bill) place on the East Coast.

The current car owner doesn't believe that the original 66 motor exists and will not fall for a scam...as its thought to be. So..bottom line is that car 66 isn't a complete car without the original motor and nobody believes that the motor for sale is the original 66 engine ! `

Kev
Old Nov 18th, 12, 07:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyAte View Post
Senario:
The new owner of the 66 car was told that the original motor was blown up and the engine now in the car is a period correct motor because that is what the dealer/seller was led to believe. No knowing that the engine was actually not blown and being stored with the rear end at the one of the original car owners (Bill) place on the East Coast.

The current car owner doesn't believe that the original 66 motor exists and will not fall for a scam...as its thought to be. So..bottom line is that car 66 isn't a complete car without the original motor and nobody believes that the motor for sale is the original 66 engine ! `

Kev
Sounds logical.

http://s268.photobucket.com/home/pro...maro/allalbums
Old Nov 18th, 12, 08:07 AM

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyAte View Post
Senario:

Kev
Not taking the time to go through the timeline. At the time the car was sold with the "replacement engine" in the 80's if I recall was there a big diff in the Value with the born with as opposed to the period correct replacement. I don't think so.

That said why would the guy selling the #66 car go to the trouble of changing the Engine and RE and storing it away for 30 years? Unless the guy had some crystal ball that this particular motor and rear end would become so valuable. Although it seems to me it to only have value to the guy that owns the car.

The car now is worth way more with the born with and the engine (if it really exists) is worth way more in the car.

We know the car is real but not so sure about the motor.

So If I owned the car I'd put the engine owner on the spot by offering him the car for what the car would be worth with the motor less the cost of what the guy is asking for the motor.
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Old Nov 18th, 12, 08:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Michael Gekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
So If I owned the car I'd put the engine owner on the spot by offering him the car for what the car would be worth with the motor less the cost of what the guy is asking for the motor.

That's an excellent strategy, I like your thinking John.

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
Old Nov 18th, 12, 09:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Not taking the time to go through the timeline. At the time the car was sold with the "replacement engine" in the 80's if I recall was there a big diff in the Value with the born with as opposed to the period correct replacement. I don't think so.

That said why would the guy selling the #66 car go to the trouble of changing the Engine and RE and storing it away for 30 years? Unless the guy had some crystal ball that this particular motor and rear end would become so valuable. Although it seems to me it to only have value to the guy that owns the car.

The car now is worth way more with the born with and the engine (if it really exists) is worth way more in the car.

We know the car is real but not so sure about the motor.

I read all the posts on the Yenko and based upon what was stated there, I feel my scenario fits. Why did Bill keep the motor and rear...he said that he pulled them and stored the car at a friends yard. Why..i haven't a clue but one thing is for sure and that is someone needs to inspect the motor and see if in fact it is the real 66 motor. Maybe at that point, the owner of the car now will be more apt to buy the original motor and rear ! Agree that the car is worth way more with original drive train.

Kev
Old Nov 18th, 12, 10:05 AM
Senior Tech

Joe

Unless Billy-Mike and possibly the owner of car #66 come clean on what the true story is behind what happen everything is just speculation. I agree with what Charley Lillard said in his post #218730 at the Yenko site.

Until then #66 (all it needs is another 6, devils #) will always be in question to those that really care.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/z282nv/
Old Nov 18th, 12, 02:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Fred

Not sure I understand the 'time line' here,,,, but,,,,, a REAL ZL1 was auctioned off about 5 years ago by Barrett-Jackson. Price? $1,200,000. That's a million two. Why would the real car and engine still remain separated????
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495, 128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.
http://epitomesrebuild.com/
http://ss427.net/
Old Nov 18th, 12, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech

Daniel

I have no idea if it even ties in but my brother's real close friend had a ZL-1 stolen from him in late '70's early '80's. It was never seen again. I wonder if any parts of his car will ever show up like this? I'm not saying this motor is stolen or anything like that but I do know all you need is a piece of paper for a bill of sale for these old cars.
Old Nov 18th, 12, 08:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Kevin

All I can say is is if the motor in real it needs to have some kind of paperwork,bill of sale, list and contact of of previous owners. Without that the motor is just an aluminum 427 motor and that's all. When you are talking this much money and, more than that a ZL1 Camaro, the paperwork must be in order as a minimum. Th ZL1 is pretty much the Holy Grail of muscle cars and the paperwork proving it's real is more important that saying it is real ZL1 motor or car. Bottom line, there were only 69 ZL1s made for drag racing and after 43 years, any verifiable cars or motors left need to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. And the motor was always the first thing to "go".
Old Nov 18th, 12, 10:02 PM
Senior Tech

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevs67RSSS View Post
the motor is just an aluminum 427 motor and that's all.
That's the point; nobody is going to pay $40k for an original ZL-1 engine, unless they own the car it belongs in, and the link between car and engine can be proven beyond doubt by documentation. That's why the motivation of the seller listing it on eBay is raising questions, especially if the whereabouts and ownership of the #66 car are known.
Old Nov 19th, 12, 07:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

There has to be a someone in the camaro community that is well respected and might be near the engine in question. The owner has invited anyone over and to bring any expert they would like along to inspect. If indeed the engine is correct and proven to be the original engine I think 40k is not a bad price at all!

Hell it's costing me 12-15k just to build a aftermarket aluminum motor and that is with my buddy assembling it!
Jmho!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > All Generations > What's it worth?      Current Topic: ZL-1 Car #66 Engine For Sale
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.