Engine problem - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 
Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro
   

Auto Insurance



Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old Nov 18th, 12, 02:15 PM
Eleanor's Nemesis Eleanor's Nemesis is offline
Gold Lifetime Member

Michael Gekko
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wrightsville Beach, NC
Posts: 5,586
Default Re: Engine problem

If it is a hydraulic lifter cam (and I'm almost certain it is) then there shouldn't be any valve lash...it should be zero. The hydraulic lifters do usually need some preload, typically when you reach zero lash turn the nut another 1/3 of a turn to 1/2 turn.

I think a lot of your problem is having no vacuum advance. I would try a VA distributor before I spent money elsewhere.
__________________
1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP



Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17  
Old Nov 18th, 12, 03:16 PM
bcm66's Avatar
bcm66 bcm66 is offline
Gold Lifetime Member

Bryon / Big B
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,038
Default Re: Engine problem

As already said, don't throw a huge amount of money at it just yet.

Try tuning the carb first.

Then check distributor. I run a similar distributor setup (but Mallory). Not ideal for street driving but you can make it work.

Is this just a street car? No strip? If it is just a cruiser, you might want to try a smaller cam. Just an idea.

I think these are the specs on your cam.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...x?csid=89&sb=2
__________________
68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG - www.camaros.org
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Nov 18th, 12, 04:41 PM
HwyStarJoe's Avatar
HwyStarJoe HwyStarJoe is offline
Moderator

 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New Taxes York
Posts: 15,342
Default Re: Engine problem

What about a vacuum leak somewhere? It would have to be a pretty big one.
I know that cam is huge and those Hg levels are in line with a cam of those specs, but don't assume 6 or 8" of vacuum is correct until you eliminate any vacuum leaks.
__________________
*---------------------------------*

STREET MACHINES OF ROCHESTER

SEMA ACTION NETWORK

UNITED SERVICES ORGANIZATION (USO)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Nov 19th, 12, 06:41 AM
Steiner Steiner is offline
Senior Tech

Steiner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lyman, SC
Posts: 7,594
Default Re: Engine problem

Once you get the carb sorted then maybe look into the ignition since it's only when hot and only under load.
If the distributor is the type that does not require an ignition box I'd try removing it and rewiring as appropriate. Or try an MSD 8360.
If it does require the box, check the voltage on the small red wire for the control power of the 6AL and make sure it is at least 13.5V when running. Control power should come from the IGN spade on the fuse block inside the car, not from the cloth covered resistor wire that may still be coming from the bulkhead connector on the firewall. This is also the case if you get rid of the box and run just the coil and distributor. Heavy red cable should go straight to battery positve and heavy black cable should go straight to battery negative.
__________________
'69 Camaro X11 Street Car
Dart 400 - AFR-195's - 224/224 HR - Powerjection III
TKO-600 - Moser 3.42 - Detroit Truetrac
538 lb-ft - 500 hp
www.cmengines.com
'69 Camaro X44 Beater - SFT 327 - M20 - Moser 4.10
'02 Z/28 vert - stock
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Nov 19th, 12, 03:03 PM
CamaroNorway CamaroNorway is offline

Sigve
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 8
Default Re: Engine problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm66 View Post
As already said, don't throw a huge amount of money at it just yet.

Try tuning the carb first.

Then check distributor. I run a similar distributor setup (but Mallory). Not ideal for street driving but you can make it work.

Is this just a street car? No strip? If it is just a cruiser, you might want to try a smaller cam. Just an idea.

I think these are the specs on your cam.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...x?csid=89&sb=2
this is just a car for street driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
What about a vacuum leak somewhere? It would have to be a pretty big one.
I know that cam is huge and those Hg levels are in line with a cam of those specs, but don't assume 6 or 8" of vacuum is correct until you eliminate any vacuum leaks.
i tried checking for leaks with "starter gas". sprayed around the intake, front and back of heads. not on the underside of the heads, because of heat from headers and "starter gas". afraid of fire.
the vacuum didn't chance, and no chance in rpms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Once you get the carb sorted then maybe look into the ignition since it's only when hot and only under load.
If the distributor is the type that does not require an ignition box I'd try removing it and rewiring as appropriate. Or try an MSD 8360.
If it does require the box, check the voltage on the small red wire for the control power of the 6AL and make sure it is at least 13.5V when running. Control power should come from the IGN spade on the fuse block inside the car, not from the cloth covered resistor wire that may still be coming from the bulkhead connector on the firewall. This is also the case if you get rid of the box and run just the coil and distributor. Heavy red cable should go straight to battery positve and heavy black cable should go straight to battery negative.
i've got a MSD 85551 dist. the small red wire is connected to IGN, and heavy red and black to the battery.
i haven't measured the voltage, and now the engine is teared down.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Nov 19th, 12, 06:03 PM
X-77 keith X-77 keith is offline
Senior Tech

keith
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Yorktown Va
Posts: 1,280
Default Re: Engine problem

As stated before I think your problem is in the carb. It is a shame that the engine got torn down before you started the post. It is hard to tell the problem with just a pile of parts. Procomp heads are a knock off of the Edelbrock heads. Changing to Edelbrock prob would not change much if any. As far as having the timing locked down it shouldnt be a problem if you have a sthall converter. Black smoke like stated before most of the time is too much fuel. Needle and seat, fuel logged float, blown powervalve, or float adjustment. With that cam I think I would use a double pumper and ditch the vacume secondary. Many people on 5this site have alot of skill and information , I'm sure they can help get you back on track, just got to get it running again first.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Nov 20th, 12, 01:45 PM
cadmanof50s's Avatar
cadmanof50s cadmanof50s is offline
Gold Lifetime Member

Vic
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Keswick, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 320
Default Re: Engine problem

Just wondering, is it actually "black" smoke you are seeing or is it more of a bluish haze?

Pull one of the spark plugs and describe the conditions of the electrodes.

Are they black, oily, sooty or tan/brown?

Might help diagnose the problem.

On a different train of thought...are you running an electric fuel pump?

Vic
__________________
Vic Brincat
1968 Camaro RS Convertible
383 SB, AFR 195 Heads, 670 Holley, Doug Thorley Tri-Y Headers, Lunati "Voodo" roller cam, Weiand 8150 Intake, Scorpion Edurance Rockers, 700r4, Eaton Posi with 3.73 gears, Front Discs, Summit Legend 5 - 15" with BF Goodrich TAs

Last edited by cadmanof50s; Nov 20th, 12 at 02:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Nov 21st, 12, 01:58 PM
CamaroNorway CamaroNorway is offline

Sigve
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 8
Default Re: Engine problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmanof50s View Post
Just wondering, is it actually "black" smoke you are seeing or is it more of a bluish haze?

Pull one of the spark plugs and describe the conditions of the electrodes.

Are they black, oily, sooty or tan/brown?

Might help diagnose the problem.

On a different train of thought...are you running an electric fuel pump?

Vic
yes it's black smoke.
it only cough out a cloud of black smoke. not continuous black smoke

i would say the plugs are black, with maybe a little soot.

i'm running a mechanical fuel pump.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:11 AM.



Camaros.net - 2009 AutoForums.com