Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Nov 19th, 12, 09:21 PM
Senior Tech

Brian

Default Replacement/Aftermarket Carb?

I have a '69 w/ a 302 and a Holley 4346 carb and the OE intake manifold for a 302. I'm thinking about putting the original carb on the shelf - any recommendations for a replacement carb if I go aftermarket? I'm just doing street driving - do I need 750 CFM or am I better off to go with 650 CFM?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 20th, 12, 04:57 AM

John

Default Re: Replacement/Aftermarket Carb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28_302 View Post
I have a '69 w/ a 302 and a Holley 4346 carb and the OE intake manifold for a 302. I'm thinking about putting the original carb on the shelf - any recommendations for a replacement carb if I go aftermarket? I'm just doing street driving - do I need 750 CFM or am I better off to go with 650 CFM?

Thanks!
Quick Fuel carb hands down. But why shelf the Holley?
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Old Nov 20th, 12, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech

Bill

I'd agree that there may not be a good reason to shelve what you have. However, for general street purposes you'd prbly be better off in the 650 cfm realm for improved thottle response.

As for Quick Fuel - I recently replaced my 670 Holley Avenger with a Quick Fuel 680 Vac Sec. HR series. At first I was very impressed with all the added features, aluminum parts, etc. but has been extremely finicky to dial this carb in. I've never experienced such a battle with getting a carb dialed in properly for all aspects of fuel delivery. After about 2 months of experimenting (here and there as I can on wknds) and calling Quick Fuel techs who I've found will advise contradictory to each other (which is fine and typical in the industry but providing 100% opposite solutions for a basic questions, make me wonder and have since moved on to other sources cause I feel like I'm rolling the dice with reps on their ph. lines).

I've recently discovered that the linkage that activates the pump arm is chinsy and bends quite easily compared to a Holley. A few other basic linkage/parts are inferior as well when comparing side by side.

It will idle fine most of the time and intermittently changes idle speed by as muich as 200 rpm on me (I have no vaccum leaks, ignition issues or other problems). The choke does not operate consistently/reliably either so disconnected it. Cooler temps. drastically impact fuel to point of running fine at 75 deg. ambient and barely running decent enough to drive at 45 deg. ambient. I have a wideband so can pay close attention to how it's delivering fuel as well. Never seen that w/Holley's or Edelbrocks. Now that I've lived with this carb for a couple months, I would have paid more $ for a Holley of equivalent features cause I've never had issues with numerous Holleys (or Edelbrocks) over the years. The seconday plate was not adjusted properly from the factory (a very important essential of basic out of box functionality) and wasn't until recently that a tech pointed me in that direction as the possible cause of my tip in lean issues that still refuse to go away. It has some nice features and price is good compared to Holley but it's not quite the value that I thought it would be. I may have gotten a dud. I will say that under full throttle pedal mashing, it is doing well but I feel like I've lost significant ground when comes to reliable street manners. So I'm now thinking about putting this new one on the shelf cause the speed shop won't take it back.

Last edited by 68RS-SS; Nov 20th, 12 at 01:00 PM.
Old Nov 20th, 12, 02:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Donny

Interesting Bill. I was thinking about the HR780 vs QF carb for my BBC. Based on your experience, I will get a Holley again. This time the 82750 750 cfm.
Old Nov 20th, 12, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech

keith

Had lots of good luck with Holly double pumpers. Plus you can still run your stock fuel lines.
Old Nov 20th, 12, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech

Brian

I'm thinking about shelving the Holley b/c I'm having a terrible time trying to get an electric choke to fit on the 4346 carb body. Maybe I'm over-complicating but I the conversion kit i bought (Holley part number 45-224) is an MF'er to get installed. Anyone else run into this problem?
Old Nov 20th, 12, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech

You can not install an electric choke conversion kit on a 4346, nor any other Holley designed for an OEM divorced choke system, the required mounting bosses are not present on those main bodies. You can only install the electric choke on a carb that was originally designed for either an electric, thermal (hot air tube) or manual hand choke.

Eric
Old Nov 20th, 12, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech

Brian

Damn... What choke options do I have?
Old Nov 20th, 12, 10:10 PM
Senior Tech

Brian

Good news: I'm not an idiot b/c I couldn't get the choke installed

Bad news: I'm an idiot for not knowing it couldn't be installed in the first place
Old Nov 21st, 12, 05:30 AM

John

Quote:
Damn... What choke options do I have?
Why do you think you need/want a choke?
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Old Nov 21st, 12, 09:35 AM
Senior Tech

Joe

Any 600 to 650 cfm Holly or Edelbrock carb will work fine. I suggest electric choke & vacuum secondary. Stay away fron the Edelbrock endurashine finish...it flakes off when exposed to gas or antifreeze. Some drop style air cleaners won't fit properly over the Edelbrock electric choke housing.
Old Nov 21st, 12, 10:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Fred

Quote:
Good news: I'm not an idiot b/c I couldn't get the choke installed

Bad news: I'm an idiot for not knowing it couldn't be installed in the first place
Good news-bad news. the story of my life.
At the strip 4 or 5 years ago I said to my car club buddy out of frustration that I just want to get into the twelves. I had to dial in at 13 something. Then I got back to the pits and he said 'the good news is you turned a 12.45, the bad news is you turned a 12.45. Oh well, that's race'n.
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495, 128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.
http://epitomesrebuild.com/
http://ss427.net/
Old Nov 22nd, 12, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech

Brian

Thanks to all for the help and advice... I'm looking to go with a choke b/c the car is hell to start. There's no choke right now - when I manually choke (with a piece of cardboard or whatever is lying around), she starts right up. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like a choke is in order - no?
Old Nov 22nd, 12, 08:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Daryl

Pump the accelerator a couple times before turning the engine over. Once it starts keep it running by using the accelerator pedal. In a few minutes it will be warmed up enough to drive. I have never needed/used a choke on mine in 30 years.
Currently running a 302, M22 & 4:10 12-bolt posi
Old Nov 22nd, 12, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech

Brian

My problem is that the engine won't turn over... I pump it once or twice all the way to the floor and then its a 5-10 minute grudge match to get it started. I'm running MSD HEI and timing at 12 degrees initial. What else can I try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement