Camaro running rough - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

Old Nov 20th, 12, 11:56 AM

Sean

Default Camaro running rough

Hey everyone. I recently got a 96 camaro, but it has some issues, obviously more than what the guy told me. The car runs rough 90% of the time. Slower acceleration and doesn't have all of it's power. The other 10% the car runs just fine, smooth and FAST. 2 O2 sensors have been replaced. Autozone ran a code and said it's the EGR valve, so I replaced that. Didn't fix it. I finally brought it to where I work and ran some more codes on it. 9 different codes. A few pertaining to the throttle position sensor, which constantly reads 100% unless unplugged. So I figured that was my next step. It also has codes for random misfires. Could this be the TPS? Plugs, wires, or injectors maybe? The motor is not the original, and the wiring looks a bit scary, but a tech I work with says he doubts it's electrical. I really want to make this my project car, but if it needs big things right away, I can't afford it. So again, rough 90% of the time, fast as hell the other 10%. If the TPS doesn't fix the problem, I was figuring on moving on to replacing the spark plugs and wires regardless of the last time they were done. It has 3 TPS codes, a couple random misfiring codes, and 4 other codes that the tool said has no text....I'm just getting into this so I'm a little lost and can use all the help I can get. Thank you for taking the time to read this and help. If it makes it any easier, you can email me. iamangermeister@gmail.com
Old Nov 20th, 12, 03:36 PM
Tech Team

hans

Default Re: Camaro running rough

I just went through the same problem, was the coils. Try unplugging sparkplug wires one at a time and see if there is a change or not...no change will meen it's that cylider, check them all to be sure.
What engine and set up do you have ??

83 bronco(tiller),351w-cam-msd-Int/exh,8" lift with a SAS, lockers,4.56/35's,many other things.
Old Nov 27th, 12, 03:54 PM

Sean

I have an update to the condition. For one, the person that I bought the car from didn't have the coil pack bolted down. Yesterday while driving I went over some rough railroad tracks and for a few seconds the car seemed to work perfect as if something was jarred. Perhaps a loose cable or something?
Old Nov 27th, 12, 03:59 PM

Sean

And sorry. To answer your question. 1996 camaro. 3.8 Engine is not original and the camaro has both the LT1 symbol and the RS. So, a little confused on that one. Black. There's a lot of work I'd really like to put into the car but being my first project, kind of a noob at it.
Old Nov 27th, 12, 05:43 PM

<Jake 68's Rule

I believe the next action would be bolting down the coil pak(s) and touching every electrical connector you find making sure the connector is seated tight. Maybe unplug and reconnect.
Old Nov 30th, 12, 03:26 AM

Sounds like you may be looking at a Optispark distributor. The symtoms are spuddering and loss of power. You should ask the guys at your job to lol it over. It's actually quite common. There's even a remedy because it IS so common. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 29th, 12, 11:28 AM

Jan

Hi Angermeister,
I had a similar issue on my '93 Camaro. Sometimes it ran ok but from one day to another the engine had 10% of its performance and sounded like a diesel engine....
I changed spark plugs, cables, coils, EGR, TPS, MAP, pulled error codes and so on.
My problem were 2 stuck fuel injectors! Even the ECM didn't log any error code that could lead to this diagnosis.

Hope this will help you a bit
Old Dec 29th, 12, 12:14 PM

Nick

Could be number of things, I would recommend starting with a few basic checks. As mentioned check connections, grounds on the engine, possibly fuel pressure, fuel filter, broken up catalytic convertor (pieces floating around inside causing restriction). Good luck, keep us posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement