Camaro running rough - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
  



Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Nov 20th, 12, 11:56 AM
Angermeister Angermeister is offline

Sean
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3
Default Camaro running rough

Hey everyone. I recently got a 96 camaro, but it has some issues, obviously more than what the guy told me. The car runs rough 90% of the time. Slower acceleration and doesn't have all of it's power. The other 10% the car runs just fine, smooth and FAST. 2 O2 sensors have been replaced. Autozone ran a code and said it's the EGR valve, so I replaced that. Didn't fix it. I finally brought it to where I work and ran some more codes on it. 9 different codes. A few pertaining to the throttle position sensor, which constantly reads 100% unless unplugged. So I figured that was my next step. It also has codes for random misfires. Could this be the TPS? Plugs, wires, or injectors maybe? The motor is not the original, and the wiring looks a bit scary, but a tech I work with says he doubts it's electrical. I really want to make this my project car, but if it needs big things right away, I can't afford it. So again, rough 90% of the time, fast as hell the other 10%. If the TPS doesn't fix the problem, I was figuring on moving on to replacing the spark plugs and wires regardless of the last time they were done. It has 3 TPS codes, a couple random misfiring codes, and 4 other codes that the tool said has no text....I'm just getting into this so I'm a little lost and can use all the help I can get. Thank you for taking the time to read this and help. If it makes it any easier, you can email me. iamangermeister@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Nov 20th, 12, 03:36 PM
tiller83 tiller83 is offline
Tech Team

hans
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: louisiana
Posts: 46
Default Re: Camaro running rough

I just went through the same problem, was the coils. Try unplugging sparkplug wires one at a time and see if there is a change or not...no change will meen it's that cylider, check them all to be sure.
What engine and set up do you have ??
__________________
2000,3.8L,5spd,t-top,black,optima red-top,euro looking tail lights,duals out driver side,

83 bronco(tiller),351w-cam-msd-Int/exh,8" lift with a SAS, lockers,4.56/35's,many other things.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Nov 27th, 12, 03:54 PM
Angermeister Angermeister is offline

Sean
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3
Default Re: Camaro running rough

I have an update to the condition. For one, the person that I bought the car from didn't have the coil pack bolted down. Yesterday while driving I went over some rough railroad tracks and for a few seconds the car seemed to work perfect as if something was jarred. Perhaps a loose cable or something?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Nov 27th, 12, 03:59 PM
Angermeister Angermeister is offline

Sean
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3
Default Re: Camaro running rough

And sorry. To answer your question. 1996 camaro. 3.8 Engine is not original and the camaro has both the LT1 symbol and the RS. So, a little confused on that one. Black. There's a lot of work I'd really like to put into the car but being my first project, kind of a noob at it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Nov 27th, 12, 05:43 PM
Everett#2390's Avatar
Everett#2390 Everett#2390 is online now
Moderator

<Jake 68's Rule
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Va Beach VA
Posts: 27,310
Default Re: Camaro running rough

I believe the next action would be bolting down the coil pak(s) and touching every electrical connector you find making sure the connector is seated tight. Maybe unplug and reconnect.
__________________
Give a man a rescued dog for the health of his soul.
'With enough thrust, pigs can fly.' Other Stuff
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Nov 30th, 12, 03:26 AM
F Body Guy F Body Guy is offline

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 9
Default Re: Camaro running rough

Sounds like you may be looking at a Optispark distributor. The symtoms are spuddering and loss of power. You should ask the guys at your job to lol it over. It's actually quite common. There's even a remedy because it IS so common. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Dec 29th, 12, 11:28 AM
sateng sateng is offline

Jan
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 21
Default Re: Camaro running rough

Hi Angermeister,
I had a similar issue on my '93 Camaro. Sometimes it ran ok but from one day to another the engine had 10% of its performance and sounded like a diesel engine....
I changed spark plugs, cables, coils, EGR, TPS, MAP, pulled error codes and so on.
My problem were 2 stuck fuel injectors! Even the ECM didn't log any error code that could lead to this diagnosis.

Hope this will help you a bit
__________________
Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L SFI 1993
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Dec 29th, 12, 12:14 PM
67projectcamaro 67projectcamaro is offline

Nick
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 29
Default Re: Camaro running rough

Could be number of things, I would recommend starting with a few basic checks. As mentioned check connections, grounds on the engine, possibly fuel pressure, fuel filter, broken up catalytic convertor (pieces floating around inside causing restriction). Good luck, keep us posted
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52 AM.



Camaros.net - 2009 AutoForums.com