Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Build Projects follow along start to finish

Old Nov 2nd, 12, 06:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Tom

Default Re: My 69 Z/28 Barn find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango68SS View Post
Didn't I see a "Pontiac green" (forest green) '69 'vert sell at Mecum back in the summer?? It went for some un-Godly amount due to the fact that it was a "special order" one-off color car... nothing else fancy, just a plain SS 'vert, with that (IMO) ugly forest green color.... the commentators made a big deal about the fact that it was a Pontiac color on a Chevy....

So.... let's put this shat to rest! Brad is painting this great Z-28 the original EO color (specified by the original owner) and he, as well as all of us, will enjoy it for years to come!!! Don't become a "purist car snob"!

In the infamous words of Rodney King, "... can't we all just get along??"

TC
As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I am a bit of a fan of the greens, mainly because you don't see them very much. Most of them were painted red, blue or black many years ago. I think it is way cool that Brad is going back EO with this car. Can't wait to see it done!

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 2nd, 12, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech

Al

I guess whether a "special paint" car was painted with a color offered by GM isn't really an issue if you have faith in what the CRG has to say:

"Special paint cars were identified with a unique paint code on the firewall cowl tag. Special paint was any non-standard Camaro color; it could be a GM color or any other color."

and

"Special order paint colors were done by dragging 5-gallon pressurized paint pots through the booths and manually spraying everything;"
Old Nov 3rd, 12, 05:44 PM
Tech Team

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I guess whether a "special paint" car was painted with a color offered by GM isn't really an issue if you have faith in what the CRG has to say:

"Special paint cars were identified with a unique paint code on the firewall cowl tag. Special paint was any non-standard Camaro color; it could be a GM color or any other color."

and

"Special order paint colors were done by dragging 5-gallon pressurized paint pots through the booths and manually spraying everything;"
It could also be a standard color with the stripes to be deleted.
Old Nov 3rd, 12, 06:11 PM

Larry

Kind of late to the post, but nice find no matter what color it was. You know IMHO we forget sometimes just how rare any real Z28 really is that is still in one piece, no matter what the color. Nintey nine percent of the general public wouldn't know a real Z28 from a clone and yet we get hung up on the color. There's a 70 Chevelle that was in the paint shop around here that was a paint delete car, purported to be a Hugger Orange car. A rare car indeed but you know the downside to these rare colors is the fact you have to constantly defend the color as correct. It it were mine it would go back Cortez Silver, again just my opinion.
Old Nov 3rd, 12, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Joel

Took some time to read all the way through. It amazes me how much some of you know about the 1st gen Camaros, espically the history of these cars.
Old Nov 8th, 12, 09:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Brad

Picked up some real nice NOS emblems. Part numbers are a little different between the original (right) & the NOS on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	30759   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	30760  
Old Nov 8th, 12, 09:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Brad

Close up of brake booster numbers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	30761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	30762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	30763  
Old Nov 8th, 12, 09:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Brad

All loaded up to get the vinyl top & headliner installed. Should be back in a couple of days.

Check out the vintage Cragar's. Pretty sweet too bad they sat for so long, pretty rough shape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	30764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	30765  
Old Nov 9th, 12, 04:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by K78288 View Post
All loaded up to get the vinyl top & headliner installed. Should be back in a couple of days.

Check out the vintage Cragar's. Pretty sweet too bad they sat for so long, pretty rough shape.
Brad, the more pictures I see of that color on the car out in the daylight, the more I am convinced that it was an EO car to begin with. That color is so subtle that I can see how it could have been mistaken for CS. Especially in light of the fact that it was sprayed red over top of the original color. Perhaps a little bit of overspray and the fact that silver can pick up the hues of reflecting colors nearby could have fooled everyone originally. Looking back, I'm surprised Clem didn't come across the 67 Camaro Royal Plum color. Much closer to the MOPAR "Plum Crazy" than Evening Orchid.

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
Old Nov 9th, 12, 05:44 AM
Senior Tech

I just read through this and find this discussion very interesting to say the least.

Hard to argue with motorman - he's "been there" & "done that". Everyone else is just an archaeologist trying to figure things out after the fact.

Now, the person who inspected the car is considered an 'expert' and makes his living inspecting cars because of his 'expertise'. I think that's why there won't ever be an admission of making a mistake (even an honest mistake) on the inspection. The inspector is simply trying to protect his 'reputation' (read as: ability to make money off people as long as he can keep them thinking he is really an expert in Camaros). Nobody wants to pay top dollar for the car to be inspected by someone who has been known to make mistakes (especially a mistake about something that can have a very significant impact on the car's value).

You will find that there are a lot of Jerry MacNeish fans here and over on the Camaro Research Group. People will seem to come out of the woodwork to support him. Personally, I chuckle whenever I see a car where the owner thinks it's special that the car was certified by Jerry M.
Old Nov 10th, 12, 04:16 PM

Alastair

I think the only thing that is going to be agreed on here is that there will be no agreement about the originallity of the vehicle's colour. From the current pictures of the vehicle there is no posibility of anybody readdressing their opinion or position after another inspection.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion and everbody has one and it will always be debated as to who is right or wrong. What a pitty there is no documentation that exists for this vehicle as that would make it definative.
Having been envolved in cars for around 30 years and so many different makes I know that this sort of issue is prevelant in any make unless 100% original documentation is available. People make mistakes and attack is always the best defence when you are on the back foot.

There are a couple of cars here in Australia that have been documented by experts and one wasn't even identified as being a cut and shut from 2 vehicles. There is another car that appears to be a one of the first run of preproduction cars and because everything doesn't line up 101% with all of the alleged facts and documentation doesn't exist it has been dismissed as an irrelevant car.

What we MUST remember is that any car manufacturer, past or present is/was in the business of MASS PRODUCTION of cars and hopefully making large amounts of money along the way. They were not in the business of building concourse restoration vehicles that were exact to the 0.001" in every paint mark position and style. People were left and right handed as they made these and many other marks and as a result they will always be different. Some people had different amounts of desire to be doing a job, some were enthusiatic and some purely went to work to get a pay cheque and didin't realy care along the way.

Were documentation is not 100%, we will always have to rely on consensus of opnion and make a judgement on what was most likely to have happened. Somewhere in the thread it has been mentioned that we are just archeologists hoping to uncover the facts. So true.

Regardless of opinions we should never loose sight of what we are trying to achieve, ENJOYMENT of what we have.
Old Nov 16th, 12, 02:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Brad

It's back from the upholstery shop, new vinyl top and headliner.

The sun was at a bad angle so not the best pictures.

Should be able to put the engine/trans in on Monday night
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	30891   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	30892   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	30893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	30894  

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	30895  
Old Nov 17th, 12, 06:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Sonny

Brad the car is coming along nicely, look forward to seeing more pics with the engine and trans in.

www.bccamaroclub.com
Old Nov 20th, 12, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech

VINTAGE CAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by K78288 View Post
It's back from the upholstery shop, new vinyl top and headliner.

The sun was at a bad angle so not the best pictures.

Should be able to put the engine/trans in on Monday night
Brad I appreciate you soliciting input from multiple sources, including the original owner, and feel you made the correct choice in painting it Evening Orchid. BTW you could get cars painted other than GM colors and there are several examples with documentation which have paint manufacturer codes called out.

Good luck and keep us posted. BTW Clem was brought up at the MCACN show this past weekend and is well respected for his knowledge and experience as an engine builder/racer in western PA.

L22K19, I remember the thread you reference where this car (Front clip and rear clip welded together) was purchased based on the expert inspection and shipped to new owner in Australia.
Old Nov 21st, 12, 01:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Brad

The engine & trans are in!

Here are some pictures after putting the engine and trans in on monday night.
It is starting to look like a car again. Can't wait to fire it up,break it in and dump the clutch!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0152.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	30987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	30988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg
Views:	218