Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Build Projects follow along start to finish

Old Dec 5th, 12, 10:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

Default Re: 1967 Firebird Convertible - Firebird-Geek

Well Jarrod-- You are well on your way to driving a sweet drop-top in the future. I can tell that you have a "technical background" just by the way you weld and explained things. I think you'll be fine throughout the build. Between your confidence and the help/knowledge existing on this site, you'll be in great shape!

Glad to be a movitational force in your decision to forge forward with the resto. That's cool... This site has been a driving force for me as well with both builds I'm doing. (what am I crazy?! ) Anyway... have fun, measure twice cut once, ask questions, and remember your family from this point on-- for they will need to exercise LOTS of patience and understanding while you are "living" out in that SAAAAA--WEEEEEEET shop you built. I would love the space you have. Nice! Enjoy the ride! Here if ya need!!!

Helpful build pics+tips from my restoration:
http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...ro%20%20SS350/
My build thread:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146455
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 5th, 12, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech

Jarrod

Thanks Todd... there should be a hall of fame or somthing here on camaros.net. I know I would be one of the many to nominate you and your build threads!

I am sure I will be pestering you and some other members for some advice and tips, and I hope that I can someday return the favor to some others.

I can thank my dad for teaching me to weld at a young age. On my fathers farm, when something broke... you didn't take it to get fixed, you fixed it yourself and went back to work. But I must say welding old farm equipment was a walk in the park vs welding this thin car sheetmetal. But, I am quickly learning to adjust myself to it. PLUS, after seeing how GM welded some of the car together... it does't take much to improve it!
Old Dec 5th, 12, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech

Jarrod

After some real "quality time" with the air hammer... the rest of the trunk is out... down to the frame rails. Good news is the frame rails look really good... not even any rust pitting (just some surface rust). There seemed to be enough "gunk" on them from undercoating the car at some point in its life.

I left the front part of the door jam, and upper part in place (temporarily) to... 1: give the car some strength in the rear due to how much structure I removed.
2: give a reference for hanging the doors... should still be able to line the doors up with whats left of the door jam.

I also left the outer wheel housing in place for structural reasons and to be able to help locate the inner wheel housing. (With this much metal removed... need SOME reference points) After the trunk, main floor and inner wheel housings are in, I will then cut these out and replace them.

Old Dec 5th, 12, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech

Jarrod

I must say... i HATE sandblasting. After about 2 days, and about 1,000lbs of sand... I finally have a clean slate to start with. That stuff gets EVERYWHERE... took over 2 hours to blow the sand out of all the nooks and crannies.... that includes my eyes and everywhere else...

The outer wheel housings, inner valance panel and main floor are still rusty, because they are only there to hold things together a bit longer. Once more more structure is added... OFF they come!

Old Dec 5th, 12, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech

Jarrod

Sealed everything off with a few good coats of epoxy primer. Not dealing with this rust AGAIN!! Considering that GM didn't bother to coat any of the underlying metal, should be MUCH better than the factory job!

Like I said before, outer wheel housing, rear inner valance and complete floor are coming out, as I get more metal put into place.

Old Dec 5th, 12, 02:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

Hey! Why didn't you remove the cross rail (inner tail panel) and outer wheel houses yet? Just kidding! Great work! Is this what the car looks like currently or are you just now posting pics from an earlier point of the resto? You're kicking some assphault there Jarrod! Keep up the good pace!

My build thread:
Old Dec 5th, 12, 02:57 PM
Senior Tech

Jarrod

I am playing catchup on the build... I will post up to current ASAP
Old Dec 5th, 12, 02:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

This is how I wish I could've done my '69 coupe but I just didn't have the space or time back when I did my tear-down. Great to see you learning from others on here and doing it right! Really looks great! Before I bought my '69 Coupe, I looked at many first-gens, and a few of them were Firebirds. Never lucky enough to come across a convertible however. A drop top will be my next to restore after these two... I've always wanted one to cruise around in-- even a daily driver...

My build thread:
Old Dec 5th, 12, 03:01 PM
Senior Tech

Jarrod

Well, it is finally time to add some parts back on. Before I go ahead and cut the main floor out, I decided to put the trunk floor in place and weld it in. This way I put some rigidity back into the car before cutting out the main floor. Otherwise with both out I run the risk of things moving around (never a good thing!!

Got my new AMD full trunk floor...

Between the Trunk Floor and the Main Floor... there isn't anything left to change out... just a LOT of work!!

Old Dec 5th, 12, 03:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

Looking at your main floor, it seems like it can just be patched on the trans hump, no? Of course, not inspecting it in person, I can't really tell how bad it is... but it looks easily restorable in the pics you did post... just thinking...

My build thread:
Old Dec 5th, 12, 09:08 PM
Senior Tech

Jeff

Man, that is one heck of a project! Nice work so far. I look forward to following along!
Old Dec 6th, 12, 06:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Patrick

I am glad to see another Firebird on this Camaro site. I am jealous of your shop.

If you decide to go with a Pontiac engine, will it bolt up to the Speedtech subframe? Do you know if you will have to cut the floor to fit the 4L80E? Do you plan to use Speedtech's torque arm suspension?

Sorry for all the questions. I might be going in the same direction as you for my drivetrain.
Old Dec 6th, 12, 08:28 AM
Senior Tech

Jarrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6781camaro View Post
Looking at your main floor, it seems like it can just be patched on the trans hump, no? Of course, not inspecting it in person, I can't really tell how bad it is... but it looks easily restorable in the pics you did post... just thinking...

That was the original idea when I started the project... BUT... there are more areas of the floor that would need some TLC. (Just like you did) I am finding it is often less work, and a much better repair to just replace the whole panel than do a patch job on the areas that need it. (Pictures to follow soon to show what I mean).
Old Dec 6th, 12, 08:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

Makes sense... Keep the pics comin'!

My build thread:
Old Dec 6th, 12, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech

Jarrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_smith View Post
I am glad to see another Firebird on this Camaro site. I am jealous of your shop.

If you decide to go with a Pontiac engine, will it bolt up to the Speedtech subframe? Do you know if you will have to cut the floor to fit the 4L80E? Do you plan to use Speedtech's torque arm suspension?

Sorry for all the questions. I might be going in the same direction as you for my drivetrain.
Don't worry about asking questions... I will be asking PLENTY as time goes on... I really appreciate that this hobby has such GREAT individuals! Being able to ask questions, get ideas, or just pickup a simple tip can make the difference between a OK build and an AWESOME one!

I do believe that the Speedtech subframe will bolt up to almost any type of GM engine. When you order from them they will ask if it will have a Small Block, Big Block or an LSX type engine. The subframe stays the same, but they give you different motor mounts. Talk about a company that has AWESOME customer service... friendly, knowledgeable, and always willing to answer any concern or question you have! Thumbs up to these guys

The 4l80 and cutting the floor... not sure yet... some make it sound like it will go in with no problem, and some say you will have to do some cutting to make it fit. (Stay tuned... and we will find out together in the next few months)

As far as the Speedtech torque arm... after reading about almost every rear suspension system out there, I did decide on Speedtech's Torque Arm system. Being that I am mini-tubing the car and the fact that it is a convertible, made a HUGE decision in going with the Torque Arm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement