Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

Old Dec 26th, 12, 08:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Gary

Default installing repro body mounts?

I purchased a reproduction body mount kit (consisting of 6 cushion assemblies and 6 cushions) for my '69 from Ricks, and I'm ready to install them, but am a bit uncertain on the proper installation. All 3 locations of the cushions/assemblies are different, and there are different PN's on the repro parts *(but of course not matching the Assembly manual PNs!). The assembly manual (UPC 1-section D1) shows four (3) cushion assemblies per side (items 8, 9, 13, and 15), although item 15 shows it was a mod/update - although my copy of the AIM is not sufficiently legible to ascertain whether it was added or taken away!). The radiator core support location has a smaller hole, so I think that one is clear, but the rear most location in the AIM shows the two assemblies (and I only have one plus a cushion).. Has anyone worked thru these issues and have a nice simple answer to these questions?
Note: My originals were so deteriorated, I didn't make good enough notes when I disassembled and I want to get this right the first time! Any and all help appreciated!

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 26th, 12, 09:05 AM
Senior Tech

Bob

Default Re: installing repro body mounts?

My AiM has two mods- the first says "item 15 added", and the second says "item 15 was item 10", so at one point they were showing both mounts being the same. I put Energy Suspension poly mounts in my car, and they had different parts in the 2 locations. The instructions called for a shorter sleeve in the rear location (and a different upper cushion)- do you have two different sleeve lengths? If so, it looks like the shorter sleeve and thinner cushion would go in the rear. The bottom cushions were all the same in my kit.
Old Dec 26th, 12, 09:54 AM
Moderator .. Jim

Jim

Gary, I did mine with original type too. But as bad as they were, I did one at a time so that I was replacing the same size ones as I went along. Im not sure if the photos will help but feel free to browse thru them here... frame bushing pics

I hope your caged nuts are in place and not rusted out or spinning when you put the bolts up into them.

Photos for viewing

Learn How To Post Pics here
Old Dec 26th, 12, 10:16 AM
Retired

Dennis

I've posted this several times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
This is for a '69, I would expect it's the same for '67 but you might want to check the AIM...

Stacked it goes like this;

Core Support .. Center Mount ..... Rear Mount
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bolt ............... body (cage nut) .... body - (cage nut)
washer .......... cushion asm ......... cushion asm
cushion ......... sub-frame ............ sub-frame
core support .. cushion ................ cushion
cushion asm .. washer ................. washer
push nut ....... bolt ...................... bolt
frame
washer
lock washer
nut

There are 3 diff cushion asm sizes used and 2 diff cushion sizes used. Be sure you got the right pieces in the right places.
Even if most of the rubber is gone from the old the remains should be able to help you identify what fits where...

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Dec 26th, 12, 10:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Gary

Hi Bob and Jim. Thanks for your responses and the photos. My rubber cushions looked similar to Jims when I removed them, but my metal parts were a bit better (less rusty). - probably attributable to my southern location and the car's being stored in my basement for the past 32 yrs! My bolts are great condition as are the cage nuts.. wasn't even much of a problem removing the bolts. I will reuse the bolts and large washers after cleanup.

My concern was mostly the rear upper and lower 'cushion assemblies' - items 13 and 15 in the AIM. The AIM shows both as assemblies (ie. rubber cushion mounted to a metal sleeve), whereas the replacement parts has only one 'assembly' and one 'cushion'. I think I should use the cushion assembly in the item 13 upper location (between body and frame), and the cushion between the large washer and the frame (item 15 , or lower location). If you think this is wrong, please yell loudly!

Gary
Old Dec 26th, 12, 10:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Gary

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
I've posted this several times...

Even if most of the rubber is gone from the old the remains should be able to help you identify what fits where...
Dennis: Thanks.. your diagram matches what I've been able to put together and determine, so THANKS for confirming!
Old Dec 26th, 12, 11:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Don

If I recall when I replaced a set of 5 year old OEM rubber mounts that flattened , I used the poly mounts , the 5/8" bolt called for 140# torque. Don't forget the anti_sieze compound.
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=115_1577.jpg
Old Dec 26th, 12, 05:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Gary

The AIM specifies 30-40 ft-lbs on the Rad Spt to frame mounts, and 75-95 ft lbs on the ones under the firewall. the back one is probably similar although not specified in the AIM.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement