GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Tag Team De-coding tags and numbers.

Old Dec 31st, 12, 03:07 PM

Bob

Default Re: eBay X33 Car

You are correct, the 4 speed is listed as an option. I do not however have a console and gauge package and if I am not mistaken I have heard of late built X cars that did not have a tach from the factory although I am not certain of this. Yes my Z is real and therefore I can guarantee that at least the console and gauge package was not standard equipment on late built cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 31st, 12, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech

Body tag is probably real, just wasn't originally installed on this car. Tag is 2nd week January 1969, VIN was issued 4th week October 1968.

Tach was technically required as of January 1969 ordereing info but many cars were built without one. By around late May 1969 Z/28s all had U16 or U17.

CRG www.camaros.org
Old Jan 1st, 13, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech

Brian

I owned an x33 Camaro brand new in 69. It was also a low option car with no tach or gauges. It was also a radio delete car. The fuel gauge was where the tach was supposed to be.
The valve covers are on the wrong sides and it has a cowl hood with a flat hood breather, that is not hooked up properly. Just one of a few things I saw.
I have owned three zs and all of them had a different gauge set up. One had none, one had the center fuel gauge with console and no guage cluster, and the third had the console and gauge package so you could get a few configurations. Two of them were Canadian documented cars.
I currently own a 1968 Camaro Coupe 327 275 HP L30
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...z/P5170084.jpg
Old Jan 1st, 13, 08:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302z28camaro View Post
Tach and console gauge package were always an option to my knowledge, contrary to popular belief. My original late '69 build has a tach and it is listed as an option on the window sticker, but no console.
There were mandatory options along the way. Power disk brakes is an example. Then there were "options" that became part of the "special performance" package (Z28). it was June that console became part of the package and April the spoilers became part of the package as I remember.

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Old Jan 1st, 13, 09:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcdmd View Post
The VIN on that car would indicate that the car was built before X codes were in use. I don't think that cowl tag matches the info in the VIN. My 69 was built in Nov 68 and has a higher (and later) VIN number than this car. This car would have been built before mine. X codes started in Dec 68. My VIN is 124379N544XXX. You can check VINs and production dates on the CRG site. It would seem that this car was built well before Jan 69 as the cowl tag shows.
I have an 11A, 535 VIN Z.

Sold 6-1-2014 after owning the car for 18+ years

69 Z-28 X-77 HO * DZ Put away * M20 * 4.10
406 CI * CC XR274R 236/242@.050 564/570 110 LSA/106 ICL * Brodix IK 200
475 HP, 495# tor
Street Tires, Full Exhaust Sep 07 -12.68 @ 113 MPH * Street Tires, Open Headers Oct 08 - 12.65 @ 116.2 MPH
Old Jan 1st, 13, 09:03 AM

Bob

My car is a late September built X33 and does not have the console/guage package. I don't believe the console ever was part of the package. Anybody else with a late build X car without a console? I know mine to be original this way from the factory as I have contacted the previous owners.
Old Jan 1st, 13, 09:03 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
I have owned three zs and all of them had a different gauge set up. One had none, one had the center fuel gauge with console and no guage cluster, and the third had the console and gauge package so you could get a few configurations. Two of them were Canadian documented cars.
I recall reading in John Delorean's book that there were something like 2800 different possible dash combinations available in the Camaro at one time.
Old Jan 1st, 13, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech

The number De Lorean quotes is 2,720; it is on page 144 of the paperback edition.

I have been able to duplicate the number but incorrect assumptions were used to arrive there. For example while there were 4 speedometers used in '69 the 140 was COPO only and should not be included for all applications. Also later Z/28s had a unique tach but a Z/28 could not have a power top switch.

I believe the correct total is 1,940. 5 colors, 388 trim/equipment possibilities.

CRG www.camaros.org
Old Jan 1st, 13, 10:24 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
The number De Lorean quotes is 2,720; it is on page 144 of the paperback edition.

I have been able to duplicate the number but incorrect assumptions were used to arrive there. For example while there were 4 speedometers used in '69 the 140 was COPO only and should not be included for all applications. Also later Z/28s had a unique tach but a Z/28 could not have a power top switch.

I believe the correct total is 1,940. 5 colors, 388 trim/equipment possibilities.
Wow That was quick! I was hoping for an informed response as I have always wondered about this. Thanks
Old Jan 1st, 13, 12:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcdmd View Post
I pointed this out to the seller a couple of days ago and they said they would look into it. If it's not a VIN typo then something ain't right.
For what it's worth, this car has been on Ebay periodically over the past year. Back when it first appeared on Ebay I sent the owner an email questioning the conflict between the VIN and the TT. If memory serves me correctly, I believe I included a link to the CRG site so he could see what I was questioning. I never received a response and he has continued to advertise it the same way. I'm just an enthusiast, not an expert, but this discrepancy stuck out like a turd in a punch bowl.
At this point in time I would have to assume that Mr. Brannon is aware he has a problem but chooses to ignore it.

Last edited by baldeaglemtnman; Jan 1st, 13 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jan 1st, 13, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech

Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302z28camaro View Post
My car is a late September built X33 and does not have the console/guage package. I don't believe the console ever was part of the package. Anybody else with a late build X car without a console? I know mine to be original this way from the factory as I have contacted the previous owners.
It must have had a center fuel gauge then.
Old Jan 1st, 13, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Ragtop View Post
Also contrary to popular belief, 4 speed transmission was also an option.
If your car is a real Z/28 the window sticker will also list it as an option.

The only difference is the 4 speed was always required and the tach only required later.
Just to add to what you have said..... the 4 speed trans was a mandatory option for the RPO Z/28
Old Jan 1st, 13, 06:50 PM

Bob

Yes it does have the center fuel guage.
Old Jan 3rd, 13, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankk View Post
I do not like the TT. My COPO car has the center fuel guage like this one but had a factory console and guages. I am not sure how that all fit together......hopefully William will chime in and let us know.
I don't understand what you are saying here because it does not make any sense.

The car in the OP does not have a center fuel gauge and your COPO should not have 2 fuel gauges. Which fuel gauge works? the one in the dash or the one in the console?
Old Jan 3rd, 13, 11:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Don

This is a non RS Z shown, shouldn't it be X coded X77? IF it was a true car. Agree on the other stuff. Correct me,
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=115_1577.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement