GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

Old Dec 21st, 12, 05:12 PM
Senior Tech

Anthony

Default 69 Camaro seat option, aftermarket or stock?

Hey guys I have a question about 69 Camaro interiors, my car cam with no seats so I ad to get what I could and ended up getting some 67 seats just for now. I have decided I want an aftermarket seat now and am curious can I simply take the brackets off of my current 67 seats or is a lot of modification to the aftermarket seat required? Thanks guys, also if you guys have any aftermarket seats for my car and dont want them let me know, Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 22nd, 12, 05:45 AM

Brian

Default Re: 69 Camaro seat option, aftermarket or stock?

There are many threads on aftermarket seat frames and the tips to installing them on a first gen suffice it to say none are easy. Many involve brazing in new bolt locations in the floor pans, or hacking or adding new seat rails.

But you have other options using the original GM seat frames. The first gen seat frames are basically the same all three years, just with or without headrests. You can buy new 69 frames at many of the "big box" on-line vendors such as Ricks and Classic Industries, or refurbish your existing frames and even add headrests if they are not included on your current frames.

On those original frames you CAN have the best of both worlds...seats that look modern, and are comfortable to sit on but that also look stock, and more to the point install as stock.

Take a look at TMI products "Sport Foams" & Seat covers for your first gen http://www.tmiproducts.com/chevy/bro...ort-seats.html

If you are looking for modern style and comfort these are the top pick . They look great, feel great and fit with no modifications to your floors and rails. The new foams convert the existing GM frame into a more comfortable ride.

The Sport Seat covers match pattern, color and style of the originals, and according to the website pop-up - soon TMI will be introducing custom seat covers for resto/mod tastes.

I upgraded my 69 Pace car with the Orange and Black Houndstooth, and there are several threads on these projects to look at here on TC as well as TMI is a sponsor.

Vinyl

Houndstooth

Comfortweave

Last edited by 69-Pace; Dec 22nd, 12 at 06:01 AM.
Old Dec 22nd, 12, 06:02 AM
Senior Tech

Anthony

I had come across these actually, my only negative thoughts with this option was he foam costs between 86-136 per seat. after what I would pay for that plus getting them custom recovered I would be in about 400 a seat including what I paid for the seat. I was under the impression I can find a really nice aftermarket seat for under that and I could sell my original seats for most likely around what I paid for them. This is an idea I need to mull over. I just felt the reclining aftermarket racing seat would be better long term.
Old Dec 22nd, 12, 06:09 AM

Brian

Well add in the modification costs in time and effort and I bet these come out cheaper.

The prices at the TMI website are higher then their resellers offer, and according to the TMI rep that is by design to protect their resellers. So shop around first. I found Camaro Central had the lowest prices with shipping when I shopped mine last spring. I got a full set of foams and seat covers front and back for my convertible out the door under $700.00 and I installed myself. Not a hard project but did take a few days and a lot of dedication to details.
Old Dec 22nd, 12, 06:21 AM
Senior Tech

Anthony

Thanks for the insight brian, this was my first plan and I might just stick with it. I still need a back seat and I found the delux door panels. If this will be easier and cheaper I may have no choice. My seats definately need t be done professionally, they need new springs and so on. my seats are from a 67 I am a little worried about it looking strange and my current seats need new backs. I have to weigh everything, but Brian you have given me good info however thank you its appreciated.
Old Dec 22nd, 12, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech

have you considered the procar brand of seats? i think there priced really good and function nicely as they actually recline

here's a good thread on them:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...t=procar+seats
1969 RS/SS, rust free X-11 car, ZZ430 GMPP Crate Engine, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed Hurst Driveline conversion, Moser 12 bolt/3:73 posi
Old Dec 22nd, 12, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech

Anthony

No I havent heard of this brand, any specific models to look into or a site that has them reasonably priced? Thanks for the advice Bigarmz
Old Dec 22nd, 12, 11:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jeff

I've heard many use the Procar Rally seats. I've sat in them and my butt is too wide for them to be comfortable. My next plan is to sit in a 2000 to 2002 Camaro seat and see if my *** fits comfortably in those. The Camaro seat will require some modification to fit but many have done it and doesn't seem like too much.

Jeff
Old Jan 1st, 13, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GreyGhost View Post
No I havent heard of this brand, any specific models to look into or a site that has them reasonably priced? Thanks for the advice Bigarmz
the cheapest i found them (i was strongly considering them before i went nuts and put houndstooth covers on) was summitt (cheap shipping too)....you have to buy procar brackets to make them fit, but they really do look nice, i seen a set in a malibu at a car show in the summer and they were good quality

if i remember right, it was going to be around $600 for the procar seats and brackets v/s about 1K for my houndstooth covers, new foam, and labor, bad pic but this was my end result:

1969 RS/SS, rust free X-11 car, ZZ430 GMPP Crate Engine, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed Hurst Driveline conversion, Moser 12 bolt/3:73 posi
Old Jan 1st, 13, 07:06 PM

John

I have ProCar Elites in my 69. Bought the complete package from jegs that included seat, brackets and matching upholstery for the rear seat.
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Old Jan 2nd, 13, 11:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Don

Tried the Transam seats, sets well but still hard on long hauls. Procar was mentioned, there seemed to be a loss of headroom for me.
I went with the deluxe sport and posted here, after some comments about missing seat buttons, I felt my std interior did not clash without them . Besides, I did not want to pull all back out and do over, at this time. TMI did supply the buttons. Maybe later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMI front.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	31590   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmi fronts.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	31591  
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=115_1577.jpg
Old Jan 2nd, 13, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech

Anthony

Ok so as of right now I have some 67 seats that I got fairly cheap. I also got a whole 69 interior minus the carpet for 900. The rear seats were perfect but the door panels and front seats need to be recovered but are in decent shape. I plan on getting them redone in leather but I am going to get the TMI foams if I end up keeping the 69 fronts. Was that a decent deal and how comfortable are the 69 seats with the race foam? Suitable for long trips? I plan on putting the 67 seats in the car till its ready for the whole interior then sell the 67's.
Old Jan 2nd, 13, 07:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Don

Ghost, if you are asking about the TMI sport foams or their orginal foams, I feel they are tougher or more dense than factory. If you keep your stock seat cushion springs, they will probably set a little softer than my new repop springs. I went with these sport seats because I do a lot of tours and the factory style buns just don't cut it.. These sport style buns do cradle you a little better. I am hoping to find out what it does for my back.
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=115_1577.jpg
Old Jan 2nd, 13, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Ghost, if you are asking about the TMI sport foams or their orginal foams, I feel they are tougher or more dense than factory. If you keep your stock seat cushion springs, they will probably set a little softer than my new repop springs. I went with these sport seats because I do a lot of tours and the factory style buns just don't cut it.. These sport style buns do cradle you a little better. I am hoping to find out what it does for my back.

Hey Don your car is really nice, looking at it reminded me I dont have to have an ls motor my 350 4 spd will work just fine! I want those cushion replacements, I will have to get them. I was more concerned about a long trip with stock seats but if these help I am definately game for getting them and keeping my 69 seats.
Old Jan 3rd, 13, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech

Russ

Anthony, I was all ready to go with TMI sport seats in my 68 and then I went to Good Guys show in Pleasanton and sat in a 69 with Procar Rally's and fell in love with them. Unless you are intent on keeping your 69 close to stock looking you might want try planting your rear in Procar's or other aftermarket seats. For me the selling point was the bolster size, firm foam in the cushions, and ability to recline. I drive my Camaro 3-4 times per week year round except when raining. Have put several hundred miles on with the new seats and not one complaint from my back or from my wife.

Currently I have my interior torn out. Going to black carpet and custom two-tone door panels. Hope to be back on the road by end of January if all goes well.

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock
Pics: my drop top driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement