Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Jan 2nd, 13, 10:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Default 67 6 cyl Powerglide to 700 R4 conversion help

Hello Gang,
I have just spent the last 2 hours reading all the old posts about converting to a 700 R4 from a PG but none of them were for a 6 cyl. I was wondering if any of you have done this swap so I can make sure I have everything I need including plans. We'll start by telling you I have a 67 Camaro 250 PG with a column shift. I have a factory console and floor shifter I will be putting in when I do the swap. Some of the posts say I can reverse the crossmember 180 degrees and it will work fine while others say I have to get a T400 cross member and elongate the holes. What mount should I use? Obviously there is not a lot of HP in a 6 cyl and I don't want to spend $200 if I don't have too. I have already got a 700 R4 totally rebuilt with an electric switch activated lock up. Can I use the stock PG flywheel? Do I have to shorten the Driveshaft and if so how much so I can get it done while I am doing the swap. Any ideas for the TV cable bracket?..Custom if I have to. Also what do I need for linkage and shift lever so that my factory shifter will work. I know these are a lot of questions but I was hoping someone here has done this on a 6 cyl so I could get an idea how the car runs and what gas mileage to expect. This is going be my summer daily driver for about 120 mile round trip daily. I also heard adding a cruise control switch makes the lock up work all the time and not just Hwy use. Any replies would be appreciated by anyone who has done this swap. As always Thanx crew!
w/ wife & kids w/ the same addiction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 2nd, 13, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech

Al

Default Re: 67 6 cyl Powerglide to 700 R4 convertion help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68resto View Post
Hello Gang,
I have just spent the last 2 hours reading all the old posts about converting to a 700 R4 from a PG but none of them were for a 6 cyl. I was wondering if any of you have done this swap so I can make sure I have everything I need including plans. We'll start by telling you I have a 67 Camaro 250 PG with a column shift. I have a factory console and floor shifter I will be putting in when I do the swap. Some of the posts say I can reverse the crossmember 180 degrees and it will work fine while others say I have to get a T400 cross member and elongate the holes. Pretty sure with a 700R4 you can slide the crossmember back and drill new holes in the subframe to mount it. The T400 crossmember applies to the 2004R conversion. What mount should I use? You can re-use your Powerglide mount. Just remember the bolt holes in the 700R4 are metric Obviously there is not a lot of HP in a 6 cyl and I don't want to spend $200 if I don't have too. I have already got a 700 R4 totally rebuilt with an electric switch activated lock up. Can I use the stock PG flywheel? Yes, you can re-use your Powerglide flexplate. Do I have to shorten the Driveshaft and if so how much so I can get it done while I am doing the swap. Yes - you have to shorten the driveshaft. It is best to get the trans installed and then measure per your driveshaft shop's instructions. Any ideas for the TV cable bracket?..Custom if I have to. Probably custom - not much market for 6 banger conversions. You might check here to see if perhaps a Qjet system could be made to work. http://www.tvmadeez.com/ Also what do I need for linkage and shift lever so that my factory shifter will work. http://www.shiftworks.com will have what you need. I know these are a lot of questions but I was hoping someone here has done this on a 6 cyl so I could get an idea how the car runs and what gas mileage to expect. This is going be my summer daily driver for about 120 mile round trip daily. I also heard adding a cruise control switch makes the lock up work all the time and not just Hwy use. The CC switch replaces your existing brake light switch and unlocks the converter when you hit the brake pedal Any replies would be appreciated by anyone who has done this swap. As always Thanx crew!
Old Jan 2nd, 13, 11:30 AM

Kevin

Default Re: 67 6 cyl Powerglide to 700 R4 convertion help

Jim, good luck on your 700r4 behind your 6 cyl. I think that is a cool way to get more pep out of the 6! I used the below site to fab my own TV system for my 200r4 swap. it was invaluable to get the geometry correct!

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...o/700R4p1.html

I used a newer TH350 kickdown bracket and a universal TV cable and just had to fab a special bolt to attach the TV cable end to the TH350 bolt hole on the carb. Luck!

Here is my fab...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement