GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Jan 7th, 13, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

Gordon

Default Huge gap rad support to subframe!

Hi there,

I am replacing my rad support in my 67 SS 396 machine and with the new AMD rad support there's a huge gap between subframe and the rad support. The old rad support had perhaps 3 or 4 washers space of a gap but with the replacement rad support it's got like 7 or 8 washers worth of gap space. Pics below show clean gap and the other shows with washers which I guess I'll have to use. Is this normal to have to use washers?

The fenders and inner fender wells are all in the same position. If I have too much gap and tighten the nuts and bolts for the rad support then I'll throw off the fenders' lines.

Anyone have this problem?

Gordon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03485.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	31689   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03483.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	31690  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 7th, 13, 08:10 PM

John

Default Re: Huge gap rad support to subframe!

It looks like you are missing the rubber "donut" that goes between the rad support and the sub frame.
Old Jan 7th, 13, 08:18 PM

John

I think the bushing you are missing is part of the subframe body mount cushions. It looks like you have the top half [the metal part ] but not the lower part that fits into the upper metal part. Classic industries sells the kit.
Old Jan 7th, 13, 08:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Did you replace the mounts on the body. If you did you may need to tighten them more to bring it up the front.

Roger
Old Jan 7th, 13, 08:51 PM
Premium Member

Gordon

nothing else on the body was done...just doing the rad support replacement...I'm really confused as the AIM page UPC D1 specifies just the mount that I have in there.
Old Jan 7th, 13, 09:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Check out this link. It is what you should have. http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-r...1967-1969.html
I would check your body mounts very carefully. If they are original they could be rusted out.
If you are just replacing the front, you may just need a longer bolt the draw the two together. Then replace the long one with the correct length.

Roger
Old Jan 7th, 13, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

Gordon

Hi Roger,

This is the set I got from Heartbeat City...http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...t-bushing-kit/ it appears to be close to that of Rick's?

What you're saying makes sense....the front of my subframe appears to be too low, meaning the rearmost bushings could be too short or worn out/crushed. So, if that were the case and I got proper rearmost bushings, that would push the front up by perhaps the inch and a quarter it needs to "mate" the subframe and rad support without any washers.

This is the way the car came since I've had it 3 and half years, only I didn't know about it til now. It had 3 washers on one side and 4 on the other before changing over to the AMD rad support. Now it's got 7 or 8 washers on both sides....I haven't tighted it down yet.

So, I'll do some serious checking on the other mounts. If the subframe was bent, it would likely be bent upwards, whereas my problem points the other way, downwards.

Thanks,

Gordon
Old Jan 8th, 13, 06:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Steve

Did you compare the dimensions of the new rad support to the old one? Maybe they're different.

"http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/IMG_2107.jpg"
Old Jan 8th, 13, 07:34 AM
Senior Tech

Chris

Im not familiar with first gens,but if that was a second gen,I'd say something was def. wrong.Shouldnt be any "shims" between the subframe and the moust cushion.I realize you have to do what you have to do in the end to get it working,but normally thats an indication of something being bent,or mounted wrong(welded mount bracket)
On my own build,I used an aftermarket rad support,and had to slice it up in several places,including removing the mounting brackets and relocating them for height,as well as width.Support latch bolt holes welded an 1/8" off...the list goes on.

Last edited by 72LS3Z27; Jan 8th, 13 at 07:47 AM.
Old Jan 8th, 13, 08:13 AM
Premium Member

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelknots View Post
Did you compare the dimensions of the new rad support to the old one? Maybe they're different.
Yep, They're almost alike....if any difference it would be that the newer AMD one is about half inch shorter vertically...which accounts for the need for more washers to fill the gap space. Interesting, the old one was quite a bit heavier, means it was the original?

Thanks,

Gordon
Old Jan 11th, 13, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

Gordon

I just looked at the subframe bushings. The rearmost bushings seem to be quite a bit thinner than the center bushings. I can easily put a finger between the center subframe bolt area and the floorpan, but can't get a finger in the rearmost bushing.

Looking at the car from the side I can see that the subframe is not level with the car body. The subframe is tilted up at the rear.

So, I guess I'm going to have to order in some new bushings and put them in the rearmost area and that would bring the front up so that it meets and closes the gap where the rad support bushings area.

Thanks,

Gordon
Old Jan 12th, 13, 09:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Mike

I would replace all your bushing and then see how the gap looks on the radiator support. I am assuming all your panels are in good alignment.

Then if you have a gap either relocate the lower brackets on the radiator support or use washers to fill the gap.

http://s268.photobucket.com/home/pro...maro/allalbums
Old Jan 12th, 13, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

Gordon

I'm debating now whether to leave this until next wintertime to tackle this, it had washers in there under the rad support when I got it, but now with the new AMD support it seems to need a few more to fill the gap. I guess I could try and use less washers as possible so the rad supports when torqued down will effect a "crush" .....just don't want to go too far down on a crush so as to throw off the fenders and that. Fenders and doors are perfect right now.

Thanks,

Gordon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement