Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

Old Jan 10th, 13, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech

Garth

Default Re: Modifying Seat Tracks?

Well, don't know when you bought the covers, but if you read these forums, the headroom issue is no secret. I knew about it (read here)over a year ago, before I made the purchase. That's why I reupholstered one seat at a time for comparison. Must admit, I was quite surprised to see them setting at the same level as shown in the pic. The headroom issue seems to exist with almost any seat you try to plug in there....kinda tight conditions.

Interesting, Don mentions repop springs being heavier duty...

As mentioned, I have about 2" of headroom, but wouldn't mind if there was more. If/when I find another set of tracks cheap, would like to do some experimenting . Also, would be interested in the aftermarket "flat tracks" you mention, if you have a link ?
Advertisement

Old Jan 11th, 13, 06:15 AM
Senior Tech

Here is the link for the aftermarket seat tracks.

http://www.polyperformance.com/rally...3-p-26368.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 11th, 13, 09:15 AM

Waylon Krumrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv67ssrs View Post
I just want to make it clear that I was very impressed with the quality of the TMI foams/covers, as was my installer. I am in no way bashing the product...
its just this unexpected install issue that has me frustrated.....
Hey TMI, how bout a quick R&D session on shortening the stock stands?? :-)

No offense taken, just wanted to chime in a bit on it.

Lets see, cut, weld, re-install...that about sums up shortening stock stands!
www.TMIproducts.com
WK@TMIProducts.com
951-272-1996 x119
Old Jan 11th, 13, 10:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Fred

Quote:
... seems like every time I do something to improve my Camaro, I end up having to spend more $$ and change other things just to make it work...

LOL. Ain't that the truth.

Welcome to the club.
Old Jan 11th, 13, 02:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Hey Gang,
Be careful with those aftermarket tracks, I bought a pair and for 1 they are not curved like the factory tracks where the seat metal meets the track. 2nd the factory seats have a lip that cover the track legs about an inch that the stock tracks are not effected cuz of the large legs on the track and the aftermarket track will not slide back and forth cuz of it. 3rd when the track is bolted to the floor pan the release lever will not work because of the carpet unless you put spacers. 4th not a big issue but you have to redrill holes for the new tracks to match the factory ones. After all that you end up with spacers below and above the track and no great improvement. I wasted $60 and 4 hours trying every mod with them and gave up. I made my own seat mod with plates under the carpet on the floor pan. (6'1" 230 lbs). I hope this saves you the aggravation I went through. But I do got a set of aftermarket tracks that are drilled for sale!
w/ wife & kids w/ the same addiction.
Old Jan 16th, 13, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech

I tried a set of the extenders, to see if it would help with my issue.... I didnt help at all... my head just hits the roof about 2" further back. Epic fail....
My next plan is to cut the tracks... Frick..!!
Old Jan 22nd, 13, 03:24 PM
Senior Tech

I ended up cutting about 1.25" out of the seat track legs. Its a major PITA to get the seat bolted down again... but it made a major difference.
Old Jan 22nd, 13, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech

Garth

Cool ! There's still enough room for side adjusting lever to work without interference ? I figured they'd be a pain to get the bolts in there, but atleast you were able to do it ! ...not like the seats need to be removed very often.

Any pics ?
Old Jan 22nd, 13, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech

Here are some pics. I had to notch the sides of the seat extenders to make room for the seat release mechanism.
Seats dont slide back and forth the as well as they did. Still working on that. But, I am willing to sacrifice that for the gained head room.

Last edited by kv67ssrs; May 3rd, 14 at 08:49 AM.
Old Feb 7th, 13, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech

Update:

EPIC FAIL

with everything bolted down... seat dont slide at all. I gained a bit of headroom with the modifications, but not sure the gain was worth it.

Seats look fantastic, but the car is miserable to drive....

This has turned in to a complete cluster...

Last edited by kv67ssrs; Feb 7th, 13 at 11:33 AM.
Old Feb 7th, 13, 11:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Don

Quote:
Update:

EPIC FAIL

with everything bolted down... seat dont slide at all. I gained a bit of headroom with the modifications, but not sure the gain was worth it.

Well you answered my question about cutting the seat track legs. I was about to get into this as I too have the TMI sport seats. I was also concerned about the adjuster lever access.
All in all, maybe I should have tried the 2002 F body seats . Power Tour coming up and this will be the real seat test for 2500 miles.
Seems next idea would be to put my old seat cushion springs back in. Its basically the bottom seat cover install , all over again.
I used new repop seat springs as I thought it was the right thing to do after 40+ years of use.
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=115_1577.jpg
Old Feb 7th, 13, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech

Steps

In my opion, for the 69 at least, the seats a a total design faliure.. dont hold one well in the seat, espec the front passenger and fall way short as a drivers daily driver seat or road trip.
I put my orginals awayt years ago, moded some brackets to bolt to the orginal runners, and bolted in 1988 subaru leon seats.. damn nesr the same overall diamentions, more head room, they lay right back to the rear seat and give far more room fore rear access.
And more head room.
All I did is use a bit of 12mm x 25mm bar, drilled tapped holes to bolt to the runners and another set drilled to take the seat mounting bolts, in a direction across the car..
I dumbied up the position of the bars, holes with the seat in the car....both front back, and sidways and vertiacally ...
I did miss calculate the drivers by maybe 1/4" as siding forward rubbs a bit hard against the center consol, but one would have to be 5' nothing to drive in that possition.

If u are the only person to be driving the car 99% of the time, what is the problem of fixing the seat possition height, front/ back for u ...anyone else can use a pillow IF need be.
Old Feb 7th, 13, 04:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Hey Forums folks -

I too, just replaced covers with TMI Sport Seats - Houndstooth. The material is very nice and I like the quality (aside from popping off button tops...).

I reused my nice factory springs, not new springs and even still I now have a bald spot on my head from rubbing the headliner!! It's really a misery. This is a bit of a fail on TMI's part. I refuse to believe that factory seats rode this tall...no way!

I think I've read about this one hundred times, TMI. I now need to throw down more big bucks for a tilt column so I can slouch forward to gain head room...not the 'performance driving experience' I was promised.
Old Feb 7th, 13, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech

Garth

Quote:
Update:

EPIC FAIL

Wow, bummer ! Why doesn't the seat slide ? Where is the interference ? Is the seat all the way back now ? How much headroom did you gain...1.25 " ??

HeyNow 14, just out of curiosity, how tall are you and your build ?

One other trick that comes to mind....not that I like the idea, but it may be your last resort. You could try removing those 2 side springs on the bottom of the frame. They commonly are broke anyway. I found both were broken on my drivers seat and 1 was on the passenger seat. You can actually see it in the pic I posted, the lower cushion (original, non recovered) kinda sags on one side.
Old Feb 8th, 13, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech

Right now, I have the seats installed WITH seat extenders. However, the seats come in contact with something that keeps them from going all the way back. Not sure what, I got frustrated and quit...before I broke something...
I have thought about just installing them in a fixed position somehow...
My issue is that I shouldnt have to be going to these great lengths to make this work. This kit was designed for a 67 Camaro...it should work in a 67 Camaro irregardless of whether or not I replaced the 40 year old springs with new springs..which were
again..designed for a 67 Camaro....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Interiors      Current Topic: Modifying Seat Tracks?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.