anyone know about laminate flooring? - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

Old Jan 17th, 13, 08:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

John

Thumbs up Re: anyone know about laminate flooring?

I have a product called "Alloc" in my home.
I installed it 8 years ago and have not had 'problem-1' with it since
The factory Warranty actually expires this year - but I'm sure not worried about it ...
We used it in some building projects (commercial) in Europe and I became very satisfied with the ease of installation, consistency and how well it held up (even to finish construction traffic).
Found out it installed in some major European airports - like Frankfurt - and is considered one of the best commercial floor systems available.
Link to their site - http://www.alloc.com/index.php?t=cat_det&id=11

That said - during the final phases of the construction of my brothers new house (on the outskirts of the booming-metropolis of Florence, TX ) we looked at a lot of flooring system to meet his families (2-dogs, one v-e-r-y busy kid and a 'few' cats) needs.
It came down to using Alloc or a premium sheet-floor system - due to site and care issues - and the Mohawk 'GenuEdge' product won.
If you get a chance go look at this stuff
It is a very nice sheet material that REALLY (and do mean this) looks exactly like real wood flooring!
It's been in for 3 years now and still looks fantastic and they love the easy care. They had several different types of 'wood' flooring in their homes before, now they say they'll never have a place without this stuff again.
Their home was written up in a Custom Built Homes publication a year or so ago, and the author listed the flooring as "Wood" ("beautifully installed and finished throughout" no less) without even asking them about it - reading that still makes us laugh

Hope some of this gives you a few more options
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 17th, 13, 09:57 AM
Senior Tech

Greg

Default Re: anyone know about laminate flooring?

Depending on where you live, real wood may not be an option.
Hot humid wet areas like Florida, real wood does not work well in these environments and a bad idea.

If a laminate 'looks' fake, it is due to it is cheap laminate, you get what you pay for.

The major three brands as defined by the floor pros with years of experience;
for appearance, installation ease and quietness (clicking when walking on it) are:

Mannington
Armstrong
Quick Step

1031 Engineering llc
Old Jan 17th, 13, 11:34 AM
Moderator .. Jim

Jim

In our previous house, we installed Harris Tarkett brand laminate wood flooring. It was real 'ash' wood, (about 1/4" thick) that was then laminated to sturdy plywood underlayment, it then had 4 coats of Poly put on it in the factory. It came in 8' and 4' long pieces, tonge and grooved. My father in law and I installed it in 1997 and it only took light wet mopping with amonia to maintain. It floated on a thin white poly styrene material, so it never buckled or moved either. We would do that again in a hearbeat... so easy to maintain.

Photos of my Camaro for viewing

Last edited by click; Jan 17th, 13 at 12:26 PM.
Old Jan 17th, 13, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech

Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
In our previous house, we installed Harris Tarkett brand laminate wood flooring. It was real 'ash' wood, (about 1/4" thick) that was then laminated to sturdy plywood underlayment, it then had 4 coats of Poly put on it in the factory. It came in 8' and 4' long pieces, tonge and grooved. My father in law and I installed it in 1997 and it only took light wet mopping with amonia to maintain. It floated on a thin white poly styrene material, so it never buckled or moved either. We would do that again in a hearbeat... so each to maintain.
Listen to the man..."Jim". If I had it to do over again, I'd have done this...but the wood product wasn't available at the time.

Remember that laminate is still compressed paper! Moisture is its greatest enemy, and it doesn't take much.

The price difference is worth it to buy the real thing. IMO

If you do go with laminate, be sure and get the proper blade to cut it... and they ain't cheap.

capt
Old Jan 17th, 13, 12:30 PM
Moderator .. Jim

Jim

Ted the flooring Im refering too is 'solid' Ash wood, glued to 'solid plywood', there are no paper layers in either that Im aware of. We never let any spill sit on it for too long but those 4 layers of Poly urethane really helped keep it clean and dry. Maybe the term 'laminate' has several meanings too. Ive heard of flooring with many layers of some products that were not necessarly solid wood, all stuck together. I can see moisture dangers there for sure. But our experience was great but it also was more costly than the cheaper laminates of lesser quality too. Its so long ago I forget what we paid for it back in 1997.

Old Jan 17th, 13, 12:36 PM
Retired

Dennis

Quote:
Ted the flooring Im refering too is 'solid' Ash wood, glued to 'solid plywood', there are no paper layers in either that Im aware of. We never let any spill sit on it for too long but those 4 layers of Poly urethane really helped keep it clean and dry. Maybe the term 'laminate' has several meanings too. Ive heard of flooring with many layers of some products that were not necessarly solid wood, all stuck together. I can see moisture dangers there for sure. But our experience was great but it also was more costly than the cheaper laminates of lesser quality too. Its so long ago I forget what we paid for it back in 1997.
Jim that sounds like an Engineered Wood floor (I called it Manufactured in my first post) not a laminate...

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Jan 17th, 13, 01:03 PM
Senior Tech

Dan

Smile Re: anyone know about laminate flooring?

Laminate floors are "Cloning" the real material. Kinda looks like it ,but to me its not even close.3/4" inch Oak Hardwood 2 inch wide,material cost,installion cost,sand and stain cost usually can cost upwards of $6.00 a foot.The price is base upon the amount of Footage that is to be installed.Prices are cheaper for new construction because the house is unfinished.I personally love the Stone Look Porcelain Tiles in the 12x12 or 16x16 installed on Diagonal. Pre Finish Hardwoods are Junk they don''t last as long and they have V gooves between the joints.The finish on those seemed to be a weaker finish.Builders like the pre finish cause its faster. Honed finish Travertine Stone tile has a Awesome look and is not slppery when wet just like the Porcelain tile. The Laminates are over priced too.
Old Jan 17th, 13, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech

Jeff

We went with Engineered wood with a moisture barrier on top of concrete with no issues, but we picked a soft wood, beach, and our 20 lb dog has scratched up the floor from just normal dog stuff. Check out lumber liquidators, there are a couple in the bay area.

Jeff
Old Jan 17th, 13, 01:51 PM
Moderator .. Jim

Jim

Engineered is most likely what our flooring was... thanks Dennis.

Old Jan 17th, 13, 04:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jeff

I spent 10 years in the remodeling industry and have been part of the crew that has installed most of the flooring in this discussion. We never installed unfinished hardwood flooring. We did laminate, all different kinds of tile and prefinished engineered wood floors. I feel like the highest price laminates are better floors overall and install easier. I have a mid to low priced laminate floor thru-out most of my home (Tarkett). I didn't put any joints in it anywhere. It runs the full length and width of my home without any of those raised joint strips. (against manufacturers recommendations) I have a few joints that open up in the winter but over all I'm happy with it. I knew before I put it down it wasn't real wood and I don't expect it to perform as such either. I think prefinished engineered wood look better but they have there limitations as well. They're only 3/8 of an inch thick and the veneer is very thin. I think the refinish of these would be more difficult than areal hardwood, but not my area of expertise. I have a heated ceramic tile floor in my master bath, I love it. If you are going to tile an area where you will not be wearing shoes I would recommend some kind of heat under the tile if you have "winter" where you live.

Just my .02
Jeff
Old Jan 17th, 13, 09:34 PM
Senior Tech

Dan

Smile Re: anyone know about laminate flooring?

Jeff,Radiant heat under tile floors is Not Cheap.Its either done with electric or tubes with water going thru it.The tubes require a mudd job (Cement 3/4 to 1 inch),electric matt requires a heavy skim coat of Premiun Thin set or maybe a self level mortar.The wire needs to be buried and let dry before the tiles can be set using a 1/2 X 1/2 notched trowel.You have prep work added to your flooring for radiant heat.Then you need a Electrician and plumber for each one.I just tell people if your feet get cold wear socks a lot cheaper then the added cost of radiant heat.Oh yeah both raise the floor so you have to be concern about toilet flange and adjoining rooms. Socks cost a lot less.
Old Jan 18th, 13, 02:36 PM
Senior Tech

Ted

Quote:
Ya got it wrong, Jim. I was supporting your point of view. Guess, it didn't come off this way. Sometimes words get in the way. Sorry!

capt
Old Jan 18th, 13, 02:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jeff

Dan with all due respect please reread my post (especially the first line.)

A competent DIYer can install the electric matts in his own home. Yes there are tricks to it but it's not that difficult. If he decides to go tile with heat he can ask more questions.

Jeff
Old Jan 18th, 13, 02:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

There are a lot of DIY flooring options. The ones that have a 1/4 inch real hard wood with a plywood substrate are easy to install and hold up pretty well.

The ones to stay away from are fake wood like pergo. All that is is a picture of wood in plastic, works ok in the basement, but that’s about all.
Old Jan 18th, 13, 05:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Joel

If this house is where you plan to stay Don't do it, any brand or color. You will regret it in one year. Go true hardwood worth the cost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement