Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Tag Team De-coding tags and numbers.

Old Jan 23rd, 13, 02:50 PM
Senior Tech

Doug

Default Re: Help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69RS View Post
No chalk marks inside the car. Ive cleaned it up pretty good and dont remember seeing any. Would it still be on my VN car where they didnt use X codes?.
No X3 or X7 behind the rear seat on a VN car.
1969 Van Nuys RS Z/28. Protect-o-plate and chassis broadcast copy. Hugger Orange, original 711 interior, including carpet. Original drivetrain: DZ, M-20, 3:73 BO code peg leg. Flat hood, no spoilers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 23rd, 13, 05:51 PM
Team Member

Pretty sure only the z-28 came with 4 leaf springs!
Buddy
Old Jan 23rd, 13, 07:34 PM
Tech Team

Robert

Thank you everyone for the help. I'm going to call her a Z28/RS for now until I hear or see something saying it isnt. Now I just need to git-r-done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-20_11-26-27_215.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	31961  
Old Jan 24th, 13, 07:01 AM
Senior Tech

Ed

Quote:
Pretty sure only the z-28 came with 4 leaf springs!
That's incorrect. From the Camaro Research Group:

Quote:
The (1968-69) Z28 was not limited to the four-leaf spring, nor was a (1968-69) non-Z28 prohibited from having a four-leaf spring. We have documented five-leaf Z28s and documented 4-leaf non-Z28s in our data, and the factory spring tables confirm that this was intentional. In particular, the F41 option on the 1968 L30/M20 resulted in the four-leaf spring being applied to a non-Z28. The 4-leaf spring was lighter but also with reduced resistance to wind-up and decreased damping. If the weight of options so warranted it, the Z28 was equipped with certain five-leaf springs.
Ed
Old Jan 27th, 13, 08:30 AM
Tech Team

Robert

I actually found this picture which barely shows the white stripes if you look on the body under the truck. Does it help anything?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAR 001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	32004  
Old Jan 27th, 13, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech

Mike

Quote:
I actually found this picture which barely shows the white stripes if you look on the body under the truck. Does it help anything?
Those Stripes look Correct for a 02B/69 Z28, and seeing as they are under the white paint, it is looking good at this point that the car is a Z28.
Regarding if it is a RS, does it have the back up lights in the panel under the rear bumper? are the holes stamped? Post a picture. Also is the wiper motor still there , a RS Wiper motor is part #5045605 and is unique for RS, it should also have 2 holes that retain the headlite washer solenoid just above the plastic cover for the washers. There were some non RS cars had Headlite washers, but it is pretty Rare. Post some pictures of the front brackets that are spot welded into the fenders.
Also see if the passenger inner fender has the 3 holes for the washer bottle behind the battery, RS cars had the washer bottle on the Rh passenger inner fender, base cars were on drivers side. As well RS cars had a 1" hole just to the outside of the fuse block location towards the drivers fender for the the gromet and 2 hoses that ran to the headlite switch, this hole is punched, not drilled. Check the headlite switch, does it have the 2 vac outlets?
Does the drivers inner fender have the 3 holes for the Tank?
2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.70 @ 178 mph, 2210 lbs for 2013. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
Old Jan 30th, 13, 07:04 PM
Tech Team

Robert

Hi Mike,

I attached pics from the day I drug it out of the weeds. Untouched since 1976. The License plates still have the 1976 expiration sticker..haha. It has all the stuff you mentioned for it to be an R/S. I wasn't to concerned about it being an R/S. It no longer has the windshild wiper motor for me to check.

Thank you again

Off the topic a little bit. There is a DZ302 block for sale that I could get for $750. Is in great shape and bored .30 over. The production date is Nov. 68. Is this worth buying or should I put my money toward something else? I already have a fresh 383 ready to go in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	janice and rob 029.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	32053   Click image for larger version

Name:	janice and rob 025.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	32054  

Last edited by Vegas69RS; Jan 30th, 13 at 07:15 PM.
Old Jan 31st, 13, 03:38 AM
Senior Tech

Greg

Another thing for semi-comfirmation is a 69 RS also has a different headlight switch. A RS headlight switch has 2 vacuum lines going to it.

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
Old Jan 31st, 13, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech

James

Post a couple pics of the firewall and ensure the speedo cable comes out of the firewall behind the distributor, also to see if it is an original cowl induction car or not. Check the accelerator pedal arm in the engine compartment for a lower bracket with a hole in it for the CI switch and see if the firewall is punched beside the fuse box.
Old Jan 31st, 13, 08:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Gary

Vegas69RS...
I think you need to change your tag line to Vegas 69Z28RS..
I put my vote on putting your car together in the original colors and as 'original' as we all seem to think it should be.. but since you don't have the original engine, use the 383 you have (it is a better 'driver' engine on the street.. .. but dress it out in Z28 trim.. You'll love it and the value will be higher (even without 'concrete proof... you have far more evidence than a lot of people with non-original engine Z28's..).. Just keep all the photos you have of it when you first found it.. and I'd also suggest keeping the posts from this thread on your personal computer.. .or print them all out.. . AND you should definitely look up the original owner (the man, not the wife).. and get him to write down everything he can remember about the car and maybe he has paperwork or PP??

PS. Hugger Orange with white stripes was a very popular Z28 color in '69.. I had several friends at the time with that color Z.. You may even have one of my old friend's cars.... I was in the USAF at the time, and Nellis AFB is there in Vegas..
Old Jan 31st, 13, 08:20 AM
Senior Tech

Rich

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the help. I'm going to call her a Z28/RS for now until I hear or see something saying it isnt. Now I just need to git-r-done.
Robert I agree you have more than most indicating a Z car the big rear bumper gards are a clue too. I wouldnt worry about a wrong 302 but look for the right one with the Vin# to confirm it - its a needle in a haystack but miracles can happen. my car was in worse shape no 12 bolt or discs nor original fenders but mine had the X-coded cowl tag and the right R/S holes I've been looking for the right motor/trans/rear for mine, its a shame these were such good parts cars, my 69 Nova SS was the same way but it had a BB heater and core support, frame mounts- all the goodies gone a sad fate for the majority of factory hotrods. I wish we had a few more sites like Charley did for his 70Z - it's nice to see what they were like the day they were bought- its all down hill from there hopefully the ride is fun
99 Firehawk
64 Chevelle wagon 6.0l planned sons toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement