Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

Old Jan 25th, 13, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech

Jeff

Default AGR steering box

In an effort to improve the handling of my 69 I wanted to upgrade the steering box to a higher effort, faster ratio unit and do the 3rd gen swap well documented on this forum. Instead of taking a chance of getting a real fast ratio reman from the local auto parts store, I decided to go ahead and part with the dough to get the "right" one from AGR. I called AGR to see what they had to offer and/or suggest for my application. I was so impressed with the time and knowledge the person I talked to was willing to share that I decided to have them build me a box with a 12:1 ratio and a 220 torsion bar, a little higher effort than the one off the shelf. It would cost a little more and take a little longer but what the heck. I'd already done a complete Hotchkis TVS package (with upper and lower control arms) and replaced the tie rod ends, pittman, idler and it still didn't feel right. So, I was willing to go a little further to try to make it better.

Four weeks and several phone calls later I finally get the box from AGR. At this point I've lost a little enthusiasm and have started to question my decision but sometimes these things happen. Then I notice that the top cover is not billet like it was supposed to be but the stock steel piece. So I called and they would send it to me ( I was not about to send it back ) and I could install and adjust the preload. One week later it hadn't come, I call and it hadn't been sent yet, somebody screwed up, sorry. Can you overnight it this is getting rediculous OK. Finally get it and the box together and install it.
Feels a lot better but maybe to much effort. oh well. After several attempts am able to tighten lines enough so they don't leak. Didn't realize thier box retained the metric threads and came with inserts.

Replaced the reman pump with AGR 1500 psi HD pump and steering effort is greatly improved. Apparently the reman wasn't putting out enough flow or pressure. Now the car is driving better than ever and I'm really happy with how it feels. Imagine my chagrin as I was looking for leaks after replacing the pump ( nothing at the pump ) and find that the input shaft seal on the box is leaking. Can't believe it, there is nothing I hate more than a leak. So now I'm going to have to pull the box after finally getting it sorted out and replace that seal.

Sorry to go on and on, I'm not bashing just relaying my experience for whatever thats worth. That leak just got me fired up.

69 X11 SS350, Glacier Blue, 355, BTO 700R4, 3.42 TruTrac, Hotchkis TVS, Lee box, Wilwood Dynapro 6/4, Vintage Air, NuRelics, Morris belts, Klassic Keyless, 1000 watts of Alpine/JL Audio rock and roll , LS + T56 to come. All work done by yours truly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 13, 09:58 PM

David Pozzi

Default Re: AGR steering box

The seal is easy to replace, just unscrew the whole assembly. There are two sizes, early & late.
Old Jan 27th, 13, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech

Jeff

Thanks David, that sounds encouraging. Couple things come to mind I would like to know first. Can that be done with the unit still in the car? I'm gonna be replacing the steering column anyways, maybe that would be a good time to repair the leak. Looks like there are two seals and an O-ring on the piece that unscrews. Is that right? Any suggestions as to where to get those seals? Any particular brand gonna be better? I don't understand why this leaks when its just been rebuilt. Wonder if the shaft or housing is damaged. Will I need a special tool to unscrew that piece? This is a 3rd gen box I believe so would that be considered late? Any input you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

69 X11 SS350, Glacier Blue, 355, BTO 700R4, 3.42 TruTrac, Hotchkis TVS, Lee box, Wilwood Dynapro 6/4, Vintage Air, NuRelics, Morris belts, Klassic Keyless, 1000 watts of Alpine/JL Audio rock and roll , LS + T56 to come. All work done by yours truly.
Old Jan 27th, 13, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech

Jeff

So, it looks like I will need to remove the adjuster plug and replace the dust seal, oil seal and o-ring. Wonder if it can be done on the car. Will I need to count the turns when removing the plug or just screw it in untill the shaft starts to bind and back it off a little? Probably be easier to do with it on the bench. Wonder if I can pull it without disconnecting the line from the box as I just got them to not leak. Been looking for threads and found some mention of the procedure but no particulars. Will keep looking. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: AGR steering box
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.