Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Jan 23rd, 13, 05:15 PM
Tech Team

Travis

Default Buying a BRAND NEW CARB

So, I've heard through the grapevine that your better off buying a new carb over rebuilding one. Does a company like holley or edlebrock make a ideal quadrajet replacement similar to factory spec?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 23rd, 13, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech

Al

Default Re: Buying a BRAND NEW CARB

If you have a Qjet that needs a rebuild and don't trust your skills there are a few guys nationally who can make it better than new for ~ the same price as a new Holley or Edel. Sean Murphy Induction and Cliff Ruggles come to mind. Google them.
Old Jan 23rd, 13, 06:11 PM
Tech Team

Travis

I have a core carte qjet but would just refer to go new
Old Jan 23rd, 13, 06:17 PM
Senior Tech

Steve

Cliff restored mine for the Firebird and I haven't touched it since I finished the car.
http://www.byjanmarie.com/firebird/69.html
My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.
http://www.byjanmarie.com/camaro/69camaro.html
2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
Old Jan 23rd, 13, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech

harvey

i deal with this carb company their called Avanti out of perkasie ,pa here's the phone number215-249-9957

i brought a 700DP off of them and never had a problem with it very good people and very smart also. Harv good luck an let us know what u get.
Old Jan 23rd, 13, 07:45 PM
Senior Tech

Dee

+2 for Sean Murphy induction (SMI). Have had one of his Quadrajets fro ~ 6 years now with no issues.
Old Jan 24th, 13, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech

It depends who does the rebuilding; You already have 2 good recommendations given ---SMI and Cliff Ruggles. The remanufactured atrocities you can get at autoparts stores, based on my personal experiences (and others) have not been good. I.e., pepboys, advance auto parts etc. NOTE: i think pepboys is a good store, but the reman carbs they carry aren't so hot in my opinion.

As far as a new one that matches factory specs, i'm really itching to try out the Holley 4175, it's a bolt in replacement for the quadrajet. i think it's $350 or something.

i think edlebrock may have some NOS quadrajets (i think they call them performer rpm?) that are on the shelf that they never sold. But they don't advertise, so you may want to call them direct.

b) i think every now and then there are some NOS quadrajets floating around occasionally on ebay that were never taken out of the box.

c) There is another place, that i can't remember but will probably post if i ever find it that has NOS quadrajets that they never sold.
Old Jan 24th, 13, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech

mike

Boy hate to beat a dead horse but having a pro rebuild a good or even bad carb is better than any "new" out of the box carb. You tell the rebuilder YOUR engine specs and he sets it up for your engine not every engine.
Old Jan 24th, 13, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
Boy hate to beat a dead horse but having a pro rebuild a good or even bad carb is better than any "new" out of the box carb. You tell the rebuilder YOUR engine specs and he sets it up for your engine not every engine.
Well, that's true, but who still builds carbs locally-wise?

To me, finding a decent shop is harder than finding decent parts.

i would define "decent" as:

a) Doing a good, very good, or great job.

b) getting it done in a reasonable amount of time; It should generally not take more than 2 weeks to do anything short of a complete ground up restoration or build.
Old Jan 24th, 13, 07:34 PM
Senior Tech

mike

Well like you said "who builds a carb locally". But with the internet it is the guys that are "great that stand out. A 2 week turn around on a carb could be possible, but if you are one of the best in the country than there are a lot of folks wanting you to do their work. Winter time is when everyone wants to get their car ready for spring so now is a busy time. There are a few guys mentioned already, call them and see if it is worthwhile. If you get a brand new carb you have to learn to tune it yourself, idle circuit, idle air bleeds, transfer circuit, proper power valve. I mean it is doable but has to be done even on a new carb. Oh and be prepared to spend a few bucks on an afr wideband, with todays gas plug tuning is difficult and at the cost of gas may as well tune it right.
Old Jan 25th, 13, 06:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Scott

I purchased a rebuilt roch. qjet from National Carburetor out of Jacksonville, FL (904) 633-9400 for $220 plus tax and shipping, the total was $267. I have been running it for the past year with no problems. The only issue I had was the first carb they sent me had a newer style linkage for the throttle, but they ship me a new carb with the correct linkage and I had it in a couple of days. I wasn't worried about the numbers matching because the one I replaced was for a 69 (7029202 DH 1559 - still sitting on the shelf) not my 67. It was $200 for them to rebuild it, so $20 more got me another carb.
Old Jan 25th, 13, 01:34 PM
Tech Team

Travis

I ended up buying a Holley 650 Q-jet double pump
Old Jan 25th, 13, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech

mike

Nice, did you get an afr meter? TIme to get tuning, which can be fun. Good gas mileage lol and a safe tune. Good luck.
Old Jan 25th, 13, 09:18 PM
Senior Tech

i'll rebuild my own quadrajet before putting on a new Holley double pumper any day.
it's not hard to rebuild a carb- you don't need any special tools or need to know any special magic spells or anything like that..

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Old Jan 25th, 13, 10:51 PM
Senior Tech

67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
i'll rebuild my own quadrajet before putting on a new Holley double pumper any day.
it's not hard to rebuild a carb- you don't need any special tools or need to know any special magic spells or anything like that..
Keeping a little chicken blood in the tool box, dancing with a chicken bone necklace on and knowing voodoo prayers might help some people though
My 67 Camaro Time Line http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=211805
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Engine      Current Topic: Buying a BRAND NEW CARB
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.