GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

Old Jan 29th, 13, 07:41 AM

michael

Default Putting one back together i didnt take apart

so, yes, this is my first post. and ill admit, im a mopar guy. but i do a ot f work for others in my small town, and tend to get all makes and models in my shop.
currently, im working on finishing a 68 firebird 400, that was a began rotissery project. bodywork, chassis, suspension, engine, trans installed. then it gt punted to another couple of owners. afterwards, it wound up in my shop as a roller full of boxes. ive been tasked with getting it to be a running, driving, safe car with working AC, etc. not fully finishing it, but getting it to where it can be.

anyway, i didnt take the car apart. whoever did di not label anything, bag anything, nothing. just boxes and piles.

where im working now, that im having a lot of difficulty with, is the underdash/firewall area. theres a whole lot of holes with nothing in them. a few are obvious (steering, brakes, park brake, insulation clips, heater box, gas pedal) but the rest are not so obvious. does anyone have a good diagram of where stuff goes, and what comes through these holes?
also, the AC system was broken down to component level. now i have the fun of figuring out where all the itty bitty parts go. anyone have a resource for where/how it all goes back together?
lastly, can anyone point me in a direction of correct fasteners for the things bolted to the firewall? like what is supposed to go where?

i know this is a lot to ask, but i want this car to be right for whoever finishes it. way too pretty a car to do wrong. normally im a pro-touring kinda guy, but this car deserves a full resto. 400/auto/ps/pdb/ac/bench seat car)

thanks
michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 29th, 13, 08:03 AM
Senior Tech

George

Default Re: putting one back together i didnt take apart

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ssembly+manual

Save that link.
Old Jan 29th, 13, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech

James

Default Re: Putting one back together i didnt take apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterbd13 View Post
so, yes, this is my first post. and ill admit, im a mopar guy. but i do a ot f work for others in my small town, and tend to get all makes and models in my shop.
currently, im working on finishing a 68 firebird 400, that was a began rotissery project. bodywork, chassis, suspension, engine, trans installed. then it gt punted to another couple of owners. afterwards, it wound up in my shop as a roller full of boxes. ive been tasked with getting it to be a running, driving, safe car with working AC, etc. not fully finishing it, but getting it to where it can be.

anyway, i didnt take the car apart. whoever did di not label anything, bag anything, nothing. just boxes and piles.

where im working now, that im having a lot of difficulty with, is the underdash/firewall area. theres a whole lot of holes with nothing in them. a few are obvious (steering, brakes, park brake, insulation clips, heater box, gas pedal) but the rest are not so obvious. does anyone have a good diagram of where stuff goes, and what comes through these holes?
also, the AC system was broken down to component level. now i have the fun of figuring out where all the itty bitty parts go. anyone have a resource for where/how it all goes back together?
lastly, can anyone point me in a direction of correct fasteners for the things bolted to the firewall? like what is supposed to go where?

i know this is a lot to ask, but i want this car to be right for whoever finishes it. way too pretty a car to do wrong. normally im a pro-touring kinda guy, but this car deserves a full resto. 400/auto/ps/pdb/ac/bench seat car)

thanks
michael
WOW... please don't get discouraged and just start slapping things together for if you haven't critically restored an F body and are attempting to piece together an incomplete project from multiple owners as a first attempt it could be a daunting challenge.
If you are doing this as a business and not charging hourly it could be easy to get upside down in this job.
Old Jan 29th, 13, 10:05 AM
Retired

Dennis

As much as the Camaro and Firebird are alike when it comes to the details you will find them totally different. Even with the Camaro there are differences from year to year, things like number of fuel lines, AC suit cases and heater cores just to name a few depending on options the car was equipped with. If you are trying to get it right as opposed to just making it functional you really need Firebird advice not Camaro advice.

Not trying to chase you away, just want you to get what you are looking for... http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Old Jan 29th, 13, 12:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

Some of the holes in the firewall are used to retain the dash mat and nothing more. Others are for pass thru stuff (speedo cable, etc).

An assembly manual would be invaluable for what you're doing. If you can take pix and post them others on here can probably help identify what might go into which holes...

Have fun!

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
Old Jan 29th, 13, 04:10 PM
Senior Tech

STEVE

here's another opportunity for all thangs 'bird, @ first generation firebirds : http://firstgenfirebird.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
As much as the Camaro and Firebird are alike when it comes to the details you will find them totally different. Even with the Camaro there are differences from year to year, things like number of fuel lines, AC suit cases and heater cores just to name a few depending on options the car was equipped with. If you are trying to get it right as opposed to just making it functional you really need Firebird advice not Camaro advice.

Not trying to chase you away, just want you to get what you are looking for... http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/
Old Jan 29th, 13, 04:46 PM

michael

yeah, at an hourly rate the customer would be losing his can on this car. fortunately,m this is a side buisness for me that allows me to play with my own cars, and keep my daughter in private school. pretty much the luxuaries.

i also assumed that the f-bodys were like the dodge/plymouth twins. almost exactly the same except for sheet metal, trim, and upholstery. but that is not the image im getting.

i will check out the firebird forums, and download the camaro assembly manuals that were linked to. hopefully, we can set this thing on the right path. going to be a beautiful car when done.

and not ALL of it will be chalkmark resto. customer requested aluminum radiator and HEI dist, as well as painless wiring and a 8 inch brake booster. motor was built with mild cam, performer intake, holley carb, and ARP 12 point fasteners. but my plan is to make it close enough to chalkmark with the work im doing do be taken there pretty easily, or, more appropriately, a day 2 resto.

thanks for the advice so far, and please keep it coming. expecially on the undersdash AC stuff.

michael
Old Jan 29th, 13, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech

STEVE

Will your customer allow you to post a few pics ?
Old Jan 30th, 13, 04:50 AM

michael

Sure will. Bills pretty cool about things like thhat. This is the 5th cqar I've done for him.
What would you like pictures of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement