Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Build Projects follow along start to finish

Old May 5th, 12, 11:22 PM
Team Member

ALEX

Default Re: 69 Camaro Build 1st "TIMER"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6781camaro View Post
Alex-- sorry to hear the unfortunate news of your loss. I wish his family peace and comfort to help them push through.
Thanks Todd
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 12, 05:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Dave C

So sorry for your loss my prayers go out to yours and there family.Was he killed in the line of duty.....

The Camaro looks nice is it a 6 or 8 cyl.My son wants a Hemmy Charger wish he would want a Camaro instead.
Old May 6th, 12, 06:01 AM
Tech Team

Dennis

very sorry to hear of this loss. My youngest son is a law enforcement officer. Not just anyone can be one. After 2 ride alongs with my son, I know for a fact, I couldn't do what they do. It takes truely special people to endevour into that field. To lose one, is a loss of which is one too many....
Old May 6th, 12, 10:57 PM
Team Member

ALEX

Yes he was killed in the line of duty. He and two other officers were serving a search warrant on a house and the shooter was in the bathroom. The other two officers walked away with with shots to the arms, hands, and one in the leg. He was a great friend and will be truely missed. Thanks for all the prayers and support. The community here has been a great support as well. It's not easy doing what we do. Some people think we are always out to get them which is not the case. They never trust us until we are needed and they dial 911. It has opened many eyes to the danger of what we do.

The car is a V8 2SS/RS 6spd. I test drove many cars till i decided to go with this one. The only thing I did not like about the Dodges, besides the fact it's not a chevy, were the insides. plenty of room, just way out dated. I wanted the old school look but with up to date technology and driving ability. The Camaro is tight(not much room) on the inside and has a few blind spots, but the driving of the two is uncomparable.
Old May 7th, 12, 07:35 AM
Tech Team

Rick

Great thread. I too had a bout with cancer but was lucky and just lost my right kidney. I hope your grandfather will be able to stick around until the cars done. I'm also doing a 69 X66 396 car at this time and taking pics along the way. I plan on starting a thread once i am done. Prayers just said for your family and the slain officers family. Good Luck to you.
1969 SS X66D80, Cortez Silver, 396 Camaro, M22 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:73 PosiTrack.
1969 X44 476ci solid roller,400 TH, 12bolt 4:11 pro street
Old Jan 1st, 13, 10:12 PM
Team Member

ALEX

Hey guys, I'm still here. I know its been a while but a lot has happened. I lost my grandfather mid June. Talk about a rough couple of years. Never seems to look up. I still go in the garage and try to bring myself to start working on her again. Just brings back to much and its hard to do anything with out him. With my very tight budget right now and for next few months, I hope to start again on her soon. I want to do the car right the first time not piece it together to get it driving. So hope is not lost, just taking a back seat ride till strength and money come back. Never thought a car could take so much of someone. Lots of work still needs to be done. I did manage to get the firewall apart and ready to replace the lower cowl panel. I will get some pictures up soon of the progress prior to his passing. I haven't touched the car since he went down hill and couldn't go outside again. Anyways, I wanted to check in with you guys and let yall know that I was still around and "WILL" finish her. I've been watching others builds and haven't logged on as a user in a while. Cars are looking good, turn a wrench for me.
Old Jan 9th, 13, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech

Brad

Keep up the good work man!! Dont give up. Looking forward to seeing some pics soon. Im also working on my 69 and a first timer to. Learning right there with ya!
Old Feb 6th, 13, 06:15 PM
Team Member

ALEX

Thanks Yates!!! I haven't taken any recent pics of the body yet. will update that soon as well. Been working on the subframe recently. Ran into a few problems with the brakes. For some reason I was sent the wrong calipers with the kit. The fronts are off by almost two inches. Only problem is everything has been powder coated. Talked to the company today and have to call them back tomorrow to hopefully figure something out. Here a few pics of the sub.(Sorry for the dust, will get it cleaned up again once everything is fitted for the last time.)

Last edited by 69Z28X11; Feb 6th, 13 at 06:20 PM. Reason: pics
Old Feb 6th, 13, 07:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Todd

Sorry to hear of your loss... Been through that with all four grandparents myself. Never an easy event...

Great to see you sticking to it and springing back into the action. The subframe assembly is looking awesome! Keep it up!

Helpful build pics+tips from my restoration:
http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...ro%20%20SS350/
My build thread:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146455
Old Feb 6th, 13, 09:21 PM
Team Member

ALEX

Thanks Todd, it has been rough but he is in a better place. It's what he would have wanted. I was going to have the sub done in another week, but the brake caliper problem has set me back probably another month unless they send me something no charge. Plans were to have the brakes on and brake lines run up. Then to have the sway bar put into place. I was going to order the sway bar but the money for the sway bar may have to go the calipers instead. We will see tomorrow what happens with the brakes. Def starting to get some more work done though.
Old Feb 8th, 13, 06:43 AM
Team Member

ALEX

Caliper problem is fixed! The right calipers should be here later part of next week. Sway bar should be here about the same. Starting back on the body tonight and throughout the weekend. Will take a few pics of the progress on the body and post them tomorrow afternoon.
Old Feb 9th, 13, 11:08 PM
Team Member

ALEX

Exclamation Re: 69 Camaro Build 1st "TIMER"

Just found out that I have two inch drop spindles on my car. I've read several bad problems with wheel fitment and such. Is there a certain wheel size I have to run? Should I just wait and buy a different set of front spindles and brakes? Not sure what I need to do. Any advice would be appreciated
Old Feb 10th, 13, 11:27 PM
Team Member

ALEX

Did some more research, supposedly these are the wheels that will that will clear. Also lager wheels will clear with no more than 5 inch back spacing I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Last edited by 69Z28X11; Feb 10th, 13 at 11:37 PM.
Old Feb 14th, 13, 11:00 PM
Team Member

ALEX

Front calipers came in today! They look good for now, will definitely need a brake upgrade in the future though. I managed to finish the steering and brake setup on the sub frame. Starting Monday or Tuesday I have a friend that knows a lot about metal work and is going to help me start getting the rear mini tubs(custom fab) in. Should take a few weeks though. Very anxious to get this thing started. Waiting on the square tubing for the front braces before we go any further with the firewall and cowl fixes. Lots of changes have been made since and will continue to change. Stay tuned as things are fixing to get good! I'll do my best to keep everything up to date. I forget to take pics as I go a lot. Here are a couple of the frame though. Will try and get the before and after shots of the metal work up as we go.

Old Feb 21st, 13, 06:04 PM
Team Member

ALEX

Let the cutting begin!! Here are a few before and after pics of the mini tub in progress. Pass. side coming along nicely and the driver side is begun as well. I'll get more pics of the driver side tomorrow.

Pics of the progress:

Advertisement