Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway bar - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

Old Feb 15th, 13, 12:13 AM
Senior Tech

Anthony

Default Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway bar

Hey guys, I am thinking of installing my suspension on my own. I have the infamous e-bay arms, moog springs # 5536, kyb rear shocks bilstein front shocks and a hotchkis fron sway bar. I installed my tubular upper a arms on my 72 challenger and changed the shocks myself so I have some experience on this type of job but I havent done anything to my gen one camaro. How difficult are the tubular a arms to install? I assume if I am doing those the springs and shocks will be apart of the reconstruction? What do you guys think? Will I have to remove the fenders or anything else? Thanks in advance for all the help and guidance guys. Also I know the slugs in those arms were bad, does anyone know a good replacement I can use and have a link or a part number? Thanks again guys.
Advertisement

Old Feb 15th, 13, 07:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Fred

Default Re: Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway ba

Forget the KYB rear shocks and go with Bilstein's all the way around. That way you have a matched set.
The project is quite a bit of work but very doable. Just be careful removing the old springs.
You may want to buy or rent a spring compressor.

There is no need to remove fenders.

Slugs? Do you mean bushings??
Old Feb 15th, 13, 08:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Robert

Anthony, have you done a search on the "e-bay" arms? There was a lengthy one where someone actually found a place to get new slugs.
You can make this a DIY! Like Fred said above, be safe and rent a spring compressor. You'll see or hear of people doing it without, ignore them. It's only a few bucks for the day!
Tires and brakes will be removed. Shocks will be R&R.
Make sure you get the springs seated in the pockets and definitely make sure you get the sway bar in while the suspension is apart!! I was able to get it in without, don't ask me how because I couldn't do it the second time.
The "search" function will work here also. Next time you're at the auto parts store, pick up a Chiltons. It will help a ton also.

My slooow build thread http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180476
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 15th, 13, 08:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
Forget the KYB rear shocks and go with Bilstein's all the way around. That way you have a matched set.
The project is quite a bit of work but very doable. Just be careful removing the old springs.

Fred, if I recall right, I think he's talking about where the arms actually bolt to the tower.

My slooow build thread http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180476
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 15th, 13, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77thor View Post

Are the kyb shocks really that bad? I already have them and didnt get the bilsteins yet but was going to order them on payday. As for the slugs the e bay arms had a part that was the cause for them failing, they are the pieces that bolt directly onto the car I found a link to some slugs but do not know which ones exactly to get. there are many different sizes and material options. I just know I want them in steel but dont know the proper size. Here is a link to the slugs I spoke of, I dont know which are the right ones http://pitstopusa.com/search-1.html?q=slugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBS6T8 View Post
Anthony, have you done a search on the "e-bay" arms? There was a lengthy one where someone actually found a place to get new slugs.
You can make this a DIY! Like Fred said above, be safe and rent a spring compressor. You'll see or hear of people doing it without, ignore them. It's only a few bucks for the day!
Tires and brakes will be removed. Shocks will be R&R.
Make sure you get the springs seated in the pockets and definitely make sure you get the sway bar in while the suspension is apart!! I was able to get it in without, don't ask me how because I couldn't do it the second time.
The "search" function will work here also. Next time you're at the auto parts store, pick up a Chiltons. It will help a ton also.
Yes I did my research on the e bay arms thats how I discovered the flaw in the slugs in the first place. There are a few different threads on this site however none give a specific link to just one part that would be a sufficient replacement. I have tried search however some of the older link I discovered are no longer showing up and the members I have sent direct messages to in order to see what slugs they used have not responded. I think the slugs in the newer arms are actally safe but I am not certain. Do I have to cut the springs some? On that Pozziracing site there was a comment to cut the springs some, I am just checking to see what you guys think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBS6T8 View Post
Fred, if I recall right, I think he's talking about where the arms actually bolt to the tower.

I am not sure, I know some people really dont trust them but the ones that failed were like from over 5 years ago I think, they mount in direct replacement where the stock a arms do.
Old Feb 15th, 13, 10:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Matt

Yeah loose the KYB for sure! KYB=Kick Your Butt or Kill Your Back. Had KYB's on my 72 and replaced them with Koni's and the difference is night and day. Regarding your upgrade, I did a very similar upgrade to my 68 and did it all by myself. It's totally doable if you have the patience and turned a wrench or two in the past.
Old Feb 15th, 13, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
Yeah loose the KYB for sure! KYB=Kick Your Butt or Kill Your Back. Had KYB's on my 72 and replaced them with Koni's and the difference is night and day. Regarding your upgrade, I did a very similar upgrade to my 68 and did it all by myself. It's totally doable if you have the patience and turned a wrench or two in the past.

How long did it take you to complete the install?
Old Feb 15th, 13, 10:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Matt

I did mine over winter working mostly on weekends and taking my time to make sure I did it right. I also did a bit more than what you are thinking about doing. Mine also included del-a-lam rear leaf springs, new rear end, drum to disc brake conversion on all corners, new brake lines/master cylinder, wheels and tires and a bunch of other little things that fall into the "while I am down here" category. I also had to address some issues (introduced by previous owner) that I found. Shocks will be easy and will take you a Saturday or less given you'll be doing these last and you'll have already removed the old front shocks as part of the other front end work. Front springs, upper/lower arms and sway bar is more like a multi weekend job for us average guys that don't do this every month. Just take your time and enjoy.
Old Feb 15th, 13, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
I did mine over winter working mostly on weekends and taking my time to make sure I did it right. I also did a bit more than what you are thinking about doing. Mine also included del-a-lam rear leaf springs, new rear end, drum to disc brake conversion on all corners, new brake lines/master cylinder, wheels and tires and a bunch of other little things that fall into the "while I am down here" category. I also had to address some issues (introduced by previous owner) that I found. Shocks will be easy and will take you a Saturday or less given you'll be doing these last and you'll have already removed the old front shocks as part of the other front end work. Front springs, upper/lower arms and sway bar is more like a multi weekend job for us average guys that don't do this every month. Just take your time and enjoy.
Thanks Matt! I appreciate that.
Old Feb 15th, 13, 05:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Scott

Quote:
Front springs, upper/lower arms and sway bar is more like a multi weekend job for us average guys that don't do this every month. Just take your time and enjoy.
If you don't keep stopping for liquid refreshments it can be done in a day. Save the refreshments until the springs are out and back in. Be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway bar
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.