Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway bar - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 
Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro
   

Auto Insurance



Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Feb 15th, 13, 12:13 AM
69GreyGhost 69GreyGhost is offline
Senior Tech

Anthony
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: East Bay CA
Posts: 348
Default Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway bar

Hey guys, I am thinking of installing my suspension on my own. I have the infamous e-bay arms, moog springs # 5536, kyb rear shocks bilstein front shocks and a hotchkis fron sway bar. I installed my tubular upper a arms on my 72 challenger and changed the shocks myself so I have some experience on this type of job but I havent done anything to my gen one camaro. How difficult are the tubular a arms to install? I assume if I am doing those the springs and shocks will be apart of the reconstruction? What do you guys think? Will I have to remove the fenders or anything else? Thanks in advance for all the help and guidance guys. Also I know the slugs in those arms were bad, does anyone know a good replacement I can use and have a link or a part number? Thanks again guys.
__________________
69 Camaro coupe project link http://s1278.beta.photobucket.com/us...ghost/library/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old Feb 15th, 13, 07:57 AM
77thor's Avatar
77thor 77thor is offline
Gold Lifetime Member

Fred
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI USA
Posts: 1,758
Default Re: Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway ba

Forget the KYB rear shocks and go with Bilstein's all the way around. That way you have a matched set.
The project is quite a bit of work but very doable. Just be careful removing the old springs.
You may want to buy or rent a spring compressor.

There is no need to remove fenders.

Slugs? Do you mean bushings??
__________________
1969 Camaro SS350, M21, 12 Bolt, 01B LOS Build
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old Feb 15th, 13, 08:33 AM
ROBS6T8's Avatar
ROBS6T8 ROBS6T8 is offline
Gold Lifetime Member

Robert
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Templeton, Ca USA
Posts: 2,237
Default Re: Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway ba

Anthony, have you done a search on the "e-bay" arms? There was a lengthy one where someone actually found a place to get new slugs.
You can make this a DIY! Like Fred said above, be safe and rent a spring compressor. You'll see or hear of people doing it without, ignore them. It's only a few bucks for the day!
Tires and brakes will be removed. Shocks will be R&R.
Make sure you get the springs seated in the pockets and definitely make sure you get the sway bar in while the suspension is apart!! I was able to get it in without, don't ask me how because I couldn't do it the second time.
The "search" function will work here also. Next time you're at the auto parts store, pick up a Chiltons. It will help a ton also.
__________________
68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180476
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old Feb 15th, 13, 08:35 AM
ROBS6T8's Avatar
ROBS6T8 ROBS6T8 is offline
Gold Lifetime Member

Robert
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Templeton, Ca USA
Posts: 2,237
Default Re: Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
Forget the KYB rear shocks and go with Bilstein's all the way around. That way you have a matched set.
The project is quite a bit of work but very doable. Just be careful removing the old springs.
You may want to buy or rent a spring compressor.

There is no need to remove fenders.

Slugs? Do you mean bushings??
Fred, if I recall right, I think he's talking about where the arms actually bolt to the tower.
__________________
68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180476
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old Feb 15th, 13, 09:09 AM
69GreyGhost 69GreyGhost is offline
Senior Tech

Anthony
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: East Bay CA
Posts: 348
Default Re: Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
Forget the KYB rear shocks and go with Bilstein's all the way around. That way you have a matched set.
The project is quite a bit of work but very doable. Just be careful removing the old springs.
You may want to buy or rent a spring compressor.

There is no need to remove fenders.

Slugs? Do you mean bushings??
Are the kyb shocks really that bad? I already have them and didnt get the bilsteins yet but was going to order them on payday. As for the slugs the e bay arms had a part that was the cause for them failing, they are the pieces that bolt directly onto the car I found a link to some slugs but do not know which ones exactly to get. there are many different sizes and material options. I just know I want them in steel but dont know the proper size. Here is a link to the slugs I spoke of, I dont know which are the right ones http://pitstopusa.com/search-1.html?q=slugs


Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBS6T8 View Post
Anthony, have you done a search on the "e-bay" arms? There was a lengthy one where someone actually found a place to get new slugs.
You can make this a DIY! Like Fred said above, be safe and rent a spring compressor. You'll see or hear of people doing it without, ignore them. It's only a few bucks for the day!
Tires and brakes will be removed. Shocks will be R&R.
Make sure you get the springs seated in the pockets and definitely make sure you get the sway bar in while the suspension is apart!! I was able to get it in without, don't ask me how because I couldn't do it the second time.
The "search" function will work here also. Next time you're at the auto parts store, pick up a Chiltons. It will help a ton also.
Yes I did my research on the e bay arms thats how I discovered the flaw in the slugs in the first place. There are a few different threads on this site however none give a specific link to just one part that would be a sufficient replacement. I have tried search however some of the older link I discovered are no longer showing up and the members I have sent direct messages to in order to see what slugs they used have not responded. I think the slugs in the newer arms are actally safe but I am not certain. Do I have to cut the springs some? On that Pozziracing site there was a comment to cut the springs some, I am just checking to see what you guys think.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBS6T8 View Post
Fred, if I recall right, I think he's talking about where the arms actually bolt to the tower.

I am not sure, I know some people really dont trust them but the ones that failed were like from over 5 years ago I think, they mount in direct replacement where the stock a arms do.
__________________
69 Camaro coupe project link http://s1278.beta.photobucket.com/us...ghost/library/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old Feb 15th, 13, 10:08 AM
zlek131 zlek131 is offline
Gold Lifetime Member

Matt
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,115
Default Re: Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway ba

Yeah loose the KYB for sure! KYB=Kick Your Butt or Kill Your Back. Had KYB's on my 72 and replaced them with Koni's and the difference is night and day. Regarding your upgrade, I did a very similar upgrade to my 68 and did it all by myself. It's totally doable if you have the patience and turned a wrench or two in the past.
__________________
Matt
68 RS & 72 RS/SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old Feb 15th, 13, 10:41 AM
69GreyGhost 69GreyGhost is offline
Senior Tech

Anthony
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: East Bay CA
Posts: 348
Default Re: Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
Yeah loose the KYB for sure! KYB=Kick Your Butt or Kill Your Back. Had KYB's on my 72 and replaced them with Koni's and the difference is night and day. Regarding your upgrade, I did a very similar upgrade to my 68 and did it all by myself. It's totally doable if you have the patience and turned a wrench or two in the past.

How long did it take you to complete the install?
__________________
69 Camaro coupe project link http://s1278.beta.photobucket.com/us...ghost/library/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old Feb 15th, 13, 10:58 AM
zlek131 zlek131 is offline
Gold Lifetime Member

Matt
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,115
Default Re: Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway ba

I did mine over winter working mostly on weekends and taking my time to make sure I did it right. I also did a bit more than what you are thinking about doing. Mine also included del-a-lam rear leaf springs, new rear end, drum to disc brake conversion on all corners, new brake lines/master cylinder, wheels and tires and a bunch of other little things that fall into the "while I am down here" category. I also had to address some issues (introduced by previous owner) that I found. Shocks will be easy and will take you a Saturday or less given you'll be doing these last and you'll have already removed the old front shocks as part of the other front end work. Front springs, upper/lower arms and sway bar is more like a multi weekend job for us average guys that don't do this every month. Just take your time and enjoy.
__________________
Matt
68 RS & 72 RS/SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old Feb 15th, 13, 11:54 AM
69GreyGhost 69GreyGhost is offline
Senior Tech

Anthony
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: East Bay CA
Posts: 348
Default Re: Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
I did mine over winter working mostly on weekends and taking my time to make sure I did it right. I also did a bit more than what you are thinking about doing. Mine also included del-a-lam rear leaf springs, new rear end, drum to disc brake conversion on all corners, new brake lines/master cylinder, wheels and tires and a bunch of other little things that fall into the "while I am down here" category. I also had to address some issues (introduced by previous owner) that I found. Shocks will be easy and will take you a Saturday or less given you'll be doing these last and you'll have already removed the old front shocks as part of the other front end work. Front springs, upper/lower arms and sway bar is more like a multi weekend job for us average guys that don't do this every month. Just take your time and enjoy.
Thanks Matt! I appreciate that.
__________________
69 Camaro coupe project link http://s1278.beta.photobucket.com/us...ghost/library/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old Feb 15th, 13, 05:43 PM
scblucam's Avatar
scblucam scblucam is offline
Gold Lifetime Member

Scott
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,413
Default Re: Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway ba

Quote:
Front springs, upper/lower arms and sway bar is more like a multi weekend job for us average guys that don't do this every month. Just take your time and enjoy.
If you don't keep stopping for liquid refreshments it can be done in a day. Save the refreshments until the springs are out and back in. Be safe.
__________________
68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Team Camaro Tech > First Generation Camaro Info and Tech - 1967- 1969 "Where it all started" > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: Installing tubular a arms front+rear shocks, springs and a sway bar
Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 AM.



Camaros.net - 2009 AutoForums.com