Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old Dec 31st, 06, 09:16 PM

Default Flywheel Heavy VS Light

I have a 67 camaro with a SB 350 4 speed 373 gears about 350-375hp. I have 2 flywheels one weighs 33lbs the other 18lbs. Both steel not sure what difference it makes need help choosing. No racing street only.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 31st, 06, 09:31 PM
Senior Tech

Dave

Default Re: Flywheel Heavy VS Light

The lighter wheel will allow the motor to rev quicker, but it requires slipping the clutch more to get the car moving on the street, the heavier wheel will provide better street manners having power to spare to get the car rolling but it will make the motor less responsive to the throttle.

Larger Dave
Old Jan 1st, 07, 07:42 AM
-----

I dont know of anyone that would want to slip a clutch under any full throttle application on a street car. A heavier wheel is good for a heavier car. The matching of components suchs as low gear ratio in your trans and at the diffrerential will make a huge difference in your performance! I am sure with the lite wheel you have sufficent power to spin your rear tires with ease. Anyone has to agree that slipping a clutch on a regular basis you will be replacing pressure plates and discs all the time. To get a good grip on your question I would call the people at McCloud on their tech help line. 714-630-3668. This company has been in business a very long time and reputable with the right parts and answers for all of your needs!
Old Jan 4th, 07, 07:31 AM
Senior Tech

Jeff

I tried both a lightweight and a standard weight in my car and really preferred the feel of the heavier one. unfortunately I had tried that one first so i had to do the swap twice!
'79 L-48 Corvette
'06 Goldwing
Old Jan 4th, 07, 08:50 AM
Senior Tech

Drag racers go with the heavy flywheel,..more stored energy for blast-off. Road racers lean toward the lighter wheel,..revs quicker out of turns. Most street guys go heavy,..as Larger says, better street manners and you don't have to rev the engine as high to pull away from a stop sign,..which means you don't have to ride the clutch as long.

Do a search,..a few had the lighter flywheel and switched back,.and a few like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement