Camaro Parts at SS396.com     
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Engine General Engine Discussion.

Old May 2nd, 07, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech

Default Re: Big Block Headers with Power Steering?

Hi,
I have a 69' Camaro with a 396 engine, Muncie M21 transmission and power steering. I bought a set of Hooker Competiton #2457 ceramic coated headers and let me tell you, they are the BEST fitting set of headers I have ever installed on a car in my life! They clear the power steering box just fine and don't come close to hitting anything else. I didn't have to 'ding' them anywhere. Unlike some of the small blocks I've had in the past, changing spark plugs on this engine is a breeze. All 8 can be changed with a 'normal' socket and extension. Only complaint I have is, after 5 years they are starting to show a little surface rust. I would like to mention that this car has the 'correct' frame mounts, motor mounts and big block 4-speed crossmember. If you're not looking for a header with primaries the size of a stove pipe, these 2457's are the ticket.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 07, 09:53 PM
Senior Tech

I have 2" primary Hooker Comps with my 502 and PS. Absolutely no dinging required. They fit great.

If you check Hookers application notes, they will tell you to purchase your BB frame stands and engine mounts from Ricks First Gen or they will not guarenty fit without dinging. I followed their advice and....no problem.

That means that not all repop frame stands are the same and they did all their fitment testing using the ones from Ricks.

Tim
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
87 Buick Grand National (does 10's)
Old May 2nd, 07, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech

I have the 2105's on a BB with pwr str on a 69 with 4-speed, and though somewhat tight, it clears the steering box by about 3/16". I'm wondering if some aftermarket heads have exhaust ports that are not in the stock location and causing clearance probs.

The only issues I had with GM Performance O-port heads, was with the steel fuel line which was a bit close and had to be slightly rerouted, and the number 7 plug is difficult to change as noted above, but no biggie once you get the front end off the ground a bit. Lastly, the header flanges at the head wouldn't clear the head studs located just below, so I had to replace the studs with regular bolts. Again, no biggie.

As far as lock-out linkage, I think it would be ambitious to install headers on a BB Camaro and expect the useless LO linkage to clear. My opinion.

But I've installed several Hooker and a Hedman headers on BB Camaros and the 2105 is by far the most thought out header design of anything I've tried,..though I've never tried shorty's and won't,..I'm a fan of long tubes.

FWIW.
Old May 4th, 07, 09:18 PM

The verdict is...the Sanderson's (BB2). I tried hookers and Doug's first; which were way off. The Sanderson's will still require a small indentation due to the close ratio box. (wouldn't be required with a stock PS box) I'm also lucky enough to be 1 mile from Classic, and know the guys by name, so we pulled out a stock box and a close ratio steering box, and the close ratio is about 5/8" wider, due to the larger gear. I'm surprised more of the companies aren't addressing the issue; I can't be the only guy with a big block and close ratio box. I also now noticed on the Summit site, in small letters, that Doug's will not fit Saginaw PS box....should have read closer. Once I get it settled in, I'll post a picture of the Sanderson's. Thanks!
Old May 12th, 07, 11:27 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Holdon View Post
I have headman headers on my 68 big block. They hit the power steering box and they also hit the bolt on the pasenger side upper control arm which i had to cut the bolt. If i didnt cut the bolt the motor mount would not line up Useing the correct mounts. Just got the car back from the alighnment shop and now with the shims in the pasenger side upper control arm is touching the header. NEVER ENDING!!!

Hey 68holdon, Im having the same problem right now with my Hedman Headers on my 1968 Camaro 396 BB car.
I actually ended up taking off the upper A-arm on the pass side when I was chaging the ball joints. While they were off, I kissed that section on the arm with a grinder... Now that I rounded the section off a bit it fits great on the pass side without hitting the header pipes.

Problem Im having now is on the driver side with one pipe rubbing the steering box. Trying to read here on this site on how to fix this problem by clearancing or something. I have not coated the headers yet, and Ive heard that you can just make some type of bend or dent in the pipe with a socket or something?

I may have to try that next.

Check out http://www.CamaroNation.com for "CamaroNation Nights," ALL Camaro night cruise!
Old May 13th, 07, 11:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jerome

Well Guy's all the reading about headers, I have done sound's like Most headers have issues ,some fit on 1st gen's with no prob. And don't fit another without a ding or two here and there, My 2" S/B race Hookers I had to ding here and there ,now to check or change a plug ,what a nightmare ,as drivers side had to be accessed through the front by #1 and # 3 not to bad #5 and #7 well opened end wrench quarter turn at a time took forever ,pass side 2,4 ok to get to 6 same as 5&7 #8 from under the car ,I could never check at the end of a run, so I would only check #1 and 2 ,til I got back to the pits let it cool ,and spent an hour checking the plugs ,glad that’s all over with ,I am going through some issues now with my new one's #1 tube hits the Manual box by .090 thou.(Post Header Fitment) everything else fits great…oh well I'll get it …Everyone have a beer for Headers…Happy Motoring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement