Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Auto Insurance

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Sep 4th, 07, 10:38 PM
Tech Team

Craig

Default Stuck Kickdown Cable TH-350

Hey, i just replaced my engine with a stock 350, but didnt touch the tranny... just took it off the old engine and put it right on to the new one. Now that i have the new engine running, i cannot get Wide Open Throttle because the kickdown cable seems to be stuck. I removed the cable itself from the carb and tried to just pull it, but i had absolutely no success. Could this be a simple problem or am i going to have to remove the entire tranny and rip it apart??

Thanks in advance!!

Previously:
1967 Camaro SS Clone 327ci 4spd; 1968 Camaro RS Yenko Clone (1969 Stripes) 427BB; 1967 Camaro SS Clone 350ci 3spd
cDuck28Z@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 5th, 07, 12:07 AM
Senior Tech

John

Default Re: Stuck Kickdown Cable TH-350

No, dont remove the tranny. First, see if you have kinked and or bent the cable when installing. Make sure no problems are there. If the cable has no kinks/bends then Remove the pan. Once the pan is off, you'll be able to see the end of the cable. Make sure its installed in its slot. More than likely you kinked the cable and thats your issue.

Hope this helps.

john
Old Sep 5th, 07, 04:21 AM

<Jake 68's Rule

You can remove the bolt on the cable casing at the trans entry point and lift up on cable casing to see if the cable is still attached to the valve inside.

If it came out, you can fish the cable back onto the valve arm without dropping the pan, depending upon your patience.
Old Sep 5th, 07, 05:29 AM
Senior Tech

i had the same issue: it was routed too close to the headers, melted the sleeve, and then rusted when i cleaned my engine bay! look at the cable close to your headers to see if that's your issue...
Old Sep 7th, 07, 02:12 PM
Tech Team

Craig

I couldnt see anything wrong from the top of the engine, but when i went underneath i found that the cable indeed was melted right next to the header. I pulled the header off and undid the bolt holding the cable down, but thats as far as i got. There is a shinney silver bearing or bushing or something that is preventing me from disconnecting the cable itself. Anyone know how to get past this roadblock??

Previously:
1967 Camaro SS Clone 327ci 4spd; 1968 Camaro RS Yenko Clone (1969 Stripes) 427BB; 1967 Camaro SS Clone 350ci 3spd
cDuck28Z@gmail.com

Last edited by cDuck28Z; Sep 7th, 07 at 02:26 PM.
Old Sep 7th, 07, 04:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Jim

The inner cable is attached to a lever inside the trans. You gotta drop the pan to unhitch it, I don't have as much patience as Everett.

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Old Sep 7th, 07, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech

bill

first make sure it is disconnected from the top of the carb.than if it isnt totally seized to the outside you should be able to pull up cable and hold rod. than turn cable to disconnect it from the rod.if that dont work drop pan. theres a hitch pin holding rod in tranny. take it out(but before you do look at the way it is setup)if that cable is seized up and you wont be able to get rod out either way from pan drop or pulling cable up.you need that piece of linkage.also try to cut cable near housing to pull it up. if you need that rod/ linkage i got extras if you need it.also theres a cable i use that will fit your car if you need that also.just pm me if you need anything.
Old Sep 7th, 07, 09:19 PM
Tech Team

Patric

like previous writter said, cut the cable and you are gone a be able to disconnect it. the rod inside the tranny as a Z shappe and it passes inside the end of the cable. be patient. I am doing exactly the same thing right now with the exact same problem
Old Sep 7th, 07, 11:28 PM
Tech Team

Craig

I finally got it. I was struggling with it for a few hours when i realized i dont need the cable itself, and since the housing was what was holding everything up, i cut the cable close to the end and just slipped the housing off. It worked really well and only took about a minute... instead of having to drop the pan

Previously:
cDuck28Z@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement