Team Camaro Tech banner

What Paint Should I use to Paint Underbody of 69 Camaro

13K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  69z28freak 
#1 ·
I am stripping the factory Undercoating off of the bottom of my car and I am wondering what is the best paint product to use and what application process, as my car is already painted. I was planning to spray, and bag and tape the car. Has anyone else has any experience with a similar project?

Thanks

#7 ·
I shot mine with SPI black epoxy, and then followed that with two coats of spray-can bedliner. The epoxy will handle rust protection, and the bedliner will help protect the epoxy from chips/nicks. The stuff goes on really fine out of the can with a light texture- not like the heavy snot texture you get with Rhinoliner, etc., so it's not really obvious.

#21 · (Edited)
Here's the SEM Trim Black on the belly and on the subframe.

The black epoxy primer I used (Omni) had an almost identical sheen.
Hey Al looks like I am using the same approach as you. How did you paint the car in that position? I have been rolling around underneath and it is pretty tight. The creeper is my friend. However it is hard to keep the crap from getting in my eyes, even with safety goggles. I might need to use a face shield. What did you use to prep the underside? Did your car have undercoating.

#24 ·
Thanks Mike. It's all finished now - did it last winter.

Basically, on the inverted spraying with a gravity gun -

Buy the cheapest thinnest large black garbage bag at the dollar store. Cut out a few ~ 18" x 18" squares. With a dry, empty cup for your gun, form a single sheet of the plastic all of the way down into the gun so there is plenty hanging over the edges of the cup, then carefully remove it so it holds its shape and set it aside. Next, fill the gun about half full with paint. Then carefully reinstall the formed plastic sheet into the cup on top of the paint. It will have to "accordion" its way down. With plastic hanging over the edges, screw the cap on tightly and trim away the excess. Hook the gun to the air hose, turn it upside down and pull the trigger. This will expel any air in the cup and then it will behave like a siphon gun , and paint away. Use a new sheet each time you refill. You might get a few drips from the lid but they will land on the garage floor - or on you - so prepare ahead of time.

PS The creeper is OK, but when you have limited space to begin with it uses up about 3" of it. I just lay a big piece of thick, clean cardboard down and slide around on that.

#25 ·
Thanks Al trying to get a visual on the plastic bag and the gun. Can't quite grasp the concept yet. Creeper is ok for the back of the car as there is a lot of room there, but up front it will get a lot tighter. Cardboard is my friend!

Here is my present clearance, but I will gain a few more inches up front when I get the car jacked up off the wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.