Team Camaro Tech banner

Are we a dying breed ?

14K views 92 replies 43 participants last post by  Stone_Cold 
#1 ·
I saw a thread by Vince (3forme) called "future generation". It made me think about the future of our hobby. What do you guys believe will become of the muscle car scene ? Maybe museums full of cars rather than cruise ins or car shows or seeing them rolling down the streets on a summer night. I'm not seeing that many young guys in the scene. I think they are more in to I- phones and X box.
I've heard the argument that young guys cant afford these cars and thats why they drive imports with fart pipes and huge speakers in the trunk. Then years from now what happens to our cars ? Will our beneficiaries sell them ? To who ?
In the 60s and 70s there were tons of young guys driving these cars. Now that same generation is driving them.

#2 ·
It is tough to say.

Same thing will probably happen to the late 60s and early 70s muscle car group that has been and is happening to the guys that have 50s and early 60s Chevys. They are slowly fading away...

#3 ·
I've been playing with cars (hobby, collecting, wrenching/restoring, showing etc.. ) since 1971 when I was 15 and there are more people and cars around and people collecting and playing with them today than any time since! 30 years from now a car from the '60s will be like a model T is today and owners of 2010 Camaros and Mustangs will be retrofitting their Classic's with water fed flux fusion reactors and hover suspensions... :D :yes: ;)

#6 ·
and owners of 2010 Camaros and Mustangs will be retrofitting their Classic's with water fed flux fusion reactors and hover suspensions... :D :yes: ;)
you seem to know a lot of details . . . what do you do in that shop of yours all hours of the night ? :eek:

That's why I love the Pure Stock Drags.

http://www.purestockdrags.com/

Every September, Stanton Michigan. 55-74, most brands of US performance cars accepted. These guys race what many people would normally call restored show cars or what others only drive to a cruise. These owners take them out on the strip and beat the snot out of them, and then they party every night at the motel. No need to go to a museum to see around 150 of these beautys.
that sounds so cool, wish we had a scene like that around here

#4 ·
That's why I love the Pure Stock Drags.

http://www.purestockdrags.com/

Every September, Stanton Michigan. 55-74, most brands of US performance cars accepted. These guys race what many people would normally call restored show cars or what others only drive to a cruise. These owners take them out on the strip and beat the snot out of them, and then they party every night at the motel. No need to go to a museum to see around 150 of these beautys.

#9 ·
These guys race what many people would normally call restored show cars or what others only drive to a cruise.
Yep. I've got my Camaro insured for $45k and drove it today to the dentist's office, post office, Wal-Mart (parked between a minivan and a station wagon), and the doctor. And no, I wasn't at the doctor getting my head examined.

It's a catch-22. Driving these cars increases the enjoyment ten fold, but for a lot of people the thought of something happening decreases the joy of driving them.

#7 ·
Here's an idea what the under 30 set is doing, I was really impressed with the music in this video, I have been to NOPI events where it was all bass, a lot of rap and sagging pants! My point here is these guys will get older, have more discretionary income and will end up with dads and granddads projects along with what they have grown up with...

Jerry - the future has always been molded by our imaginations, think Star Trek communicators and Flip Phones, that thing in Lt Ohura's ear and Bluetooth headsets or before that Dick Tracey and talking on his watch communicator... I think we are heading towards the Jetson's era ;) lol...

#12 ·
Does it matter what happens after your number is called? I agree with Dennis there are more and more classic cars coming out every year. There are car shows every weekend and burger runs/cruise ins almost every day of he week. I see quite a few younger people I no it as well. There were a lot of young male and female students at the Wyotech car show all of them were very much into the classic cars. Just think back to when you were younger, how many of your friends from back then were into cars and are still into classics? You have to remember we have always been the minority, most normal people use cars strictly for transportation.

#14 ·
Just think back to when you were younger, how many of your friends from back then were into cars and are still into classics? You have to remember we have always been the minority, most normal people use cars strictly for transportation.

hmmm you have a point

#13 ·
I don't think we are a dying breed at all. Some evidence to support that is the fact that the aftermarket has exploded in the past 10-15 years to the point we can buy probably everything for our cars and lots of stuff for other models that aren't nearly as popular.

There is no way any company or corporation would go into production of parts for which the customer base is shrinking-just isn't going to happen imo.

As for young people and the hobby-maybe their interest today lies in iphones and other electronic gadgetry-sooner or later they will get bored with that stuff and start looking elsewhere for excitement.

#15 ·
I don't think we are a dying breed at all. Some evidence to support that is the fact that the aftermarket has exploded in the past 10-15 years to the point we can buy probably everything for our cars and lots of stuff for other models that aren't nearly as popular.

There is no way any company or corporation would go into production of parts for which the customer base is shrinking-just isn't going to happen imo.
The customer base is us and guys our age (assuming were all close in age here) we are at an age where we are more stable financially and have more money to spend on our hobby. The question is when were gone who carries the torch ?

#17 ·
"I've heard the argument that young guys cant afford these cars" This is true everything about a first gen camaro is lots of $$$$$ whether aftermarket or OEM. Will the cars die? Nope just the people that watched them appear on the dealerships will. The body style of 1st gens are appealing even to younger generations. The all original mentality will be a museum thing I think. Cars driven by what some have called the "younger" generation stand no chance of not being modified. Isn't that was got the "dying breed" into cars. I'm sure the generations before you cringed when you were cutting up what they thought was the perfect car. But what the hell do I know I’m 29 and one of the "younger" generation who happens to drive one of these old cars. Good topic to talk about but don't worry you old generation well keep doing burn outs and trying to go faster.:thumbsup:

#19 ·
I brought this subject up with a buddy a few days ago. I was specifically talking about engines\drive trains though, and what's going to happen in the future.

I realize technology always advances and we've got the best technology in todays cars (I'm talking LSx and 5\6 speed trans), which we're transplanting into our 40 year old projects. Not to mention the stellar suspensions. But where's the top? How much more can it improve, and will it improve with all the regulations on emissions and fuel economy?
Will there be ways to improve on a 2014 Camaro in the year 2035? I doubt it.

What happens when todays kids, or the kids after them are grown? Will there even be gasoline engines around? Where will the hobby be in 30 years? What will the laws be? Where will our cars be on the ladder of the automotive hobby? Museums? Turned back into 'barn-finds' and relics?

I don't see younger folks getting into these old classics either. I practically beg my son and his friends to participate. They're not interested. It's the slick tuners that they're noticing.

Yes we're a dying breed. It reminds me of that RUSH song, Red Barchetta. Someday some kid will find a restored 85 year old Z28 in his uncles garage and sneak it out for some nostalgia. If he can make it run... or find fossil fuel.
Then get back in his electric hybrid, push a button and transport to his next destination.

#93 ·
I brought this subject up with a buddy a few days ago. I was specifically talking about engines\drive trains though, and what's going to happen in the future.

I realize technology always advances and we've got the best technology in todays cars (I'm talking LSx and 5\6 speed trans), which we're transplanting into our 40 year old projects. Not to mention the stellar suspensions. But where's the top? How much more can it improve, and will it improve with all the regulations on emissions and fuel economy?
Will there be ways to improve on a 2014 Camaro in the year 2035? I doubt it.

What happens when todays kids, or the kids after them are grown? Will there even be gasoline engines around? Where will the hobby be in 30 years? What will the laws be? Where will our cars be on the ladder of the automotive hobby? Museums? Turned back into 'barn-finds' and relics?

I don't see younger folks getting into these old classics either. I practically beg my son and his friends to participate. They're not interested. It's the slick tuners that they're noticing.

Yes we're a dying breed. It reminds me of that RUSH song, Red Barchetta. Someday some kid will find a restored 85 year old Z28 in his uncles garage and sneak it out for some nostalgia. If he can make it run... or find fossil fuel.
Then get back in his electric hybrid, push a button and transport to his next destination.
and thats what makes me sad, to think that in the future and even right now all we can do is wait untill no one even remembers these cars. all everyone wants to do is be retarded asses in their ricer cars. i cant stand most of the people that drive them.

#21 ·
Are we a dying breed? In a word, yes. It was brought up that for the most part the guys, and gals, driving muscle cars these days are the same ones that drove them back in the day. Same goes for the guys driving model A's in parades back when I was a kid. How many of us are interested in restoring and driving cars from the 20's, 30's and 40's? The guys that were interested in them were also the ones that grew up with them, and also a dying breed.

Eventually, through us old guys dying out, lack of interest from the younger generations, tougher laws, less gas available due to less demand, ridiculous gas prices due to more restrictions and less demand, etc. the muscle car scene will fizzle out and the cars will become museum pieces. There are some younger folks into these old cars but most of them aren't serious enough to put the time and effort into restoring and maintaining one. They think the cars are cool but not worth all that.

There is interest in new age muscle that might last for a while. The newer Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers etc. Even turbo V6's in Grand Prix's and such, but I think that will eventually die out too. Technology, government restrictions, and the new age mentality will take over. Better to get ahead of the curve and start figuring out how to squeeze more torque out of that electric motor in your 2025 Tesla. ;)

In the meantime get out there and drive those old cars! :thumbsup:

Mark

#23 ·
In the meantime get out there and drive those old cars! :thumbsup:

Mark
Here! Here!
Drive 'em.... because one day when you're old and feeble and want to hand it down to a son\daughter or great-grandchild, they won't care.
It'll end up as a barn-find because we already have enough museums. Then some musical group will write a song about it.
;)

#22 ·
I think its a generational thing at-least in my family. My Dad had cars but not hot rods....as we think of them. I have been into cars since 12 years old and have never stopped. My almost 24 year old son..likes "Duck Fart" cars and big speakers and has a 3,000 watt amp in the trunk. My band PA system has a 6,000 watt amp and pushes 2- 18" subs, 6-15" woofers and 4-Horns.

My 11 year old Grandson loves my Camaro and Hot Rods, can't stand "Duck Fart " cars. Heck..even my Granddaughter loves Grandpa's Race Car ! BTW, my son doesn't play any instrument but my grandson is taking up drums in school :) So as I state..it may be a skip-generation thing.

Kev

#24 ·
I'm fairly young and I feel there are multiple reasons that most of my car friends are not into older muscle cars. One being that most muscle cars that are going for low money need a full on restoration, which most do not have the time, money, or place to do it at.
Second being that most gear heads want performance....and newer cars tend to have better performance right out of the box (why buy an old car and swap an ls1 into when you could just buy the ls1 car and be 10 steps ahead?)
Third, when all your friends are into newer stuff it's more fun to have toys that are similar so you can relate / participate. If I go to a "classic" show with my Camaro I'm hanging out with an older crowd, which is great to see the other cars but honestly not much fun. If I go to an "tuner" show, it's all younger enthusiasts and generally a lot more fun as it's just hanging out with friends.

#26 ·
I see a pattern here... Everything changes but the more it changes the more it stays the same! Some of us see it as; because it's not done just exactly the same way we are doing it, the hobby is dying off... Some recognize the evolution within the hobby and realize we are one generation of many, past and present.

That said nobody's outlook is wrong! As I see it, human nature is to collect things and not forget the past. Sure there are less involved with Model T's but there are still guys taking them out and making runs through Yosemite National Park and other places across the country in them. To go back even further there are still folks spending their weekends in covered wagons and it's not unheard of to find wagon races at rodeos and other western events... Back to something more in line with conventional thoughts; ever go the vintage races? At the Monterey Historics I've seen everything from wood spoke wheels to Trans-Am cars and beyond racing on the same day.

I don't see the breed dying, it's just changing to keep up with the times...

#28 ·
As the population keeps increasing, I believe that someday, maybe not too far into the future, that personal transportation will cease to exist (as we understand it). Much like what is in the larger cities now, I think the more demands we have on energy conservation, environment, and economy, we will one day all be riding in government mandated/regulated trains, buses, and personal transports. I think we will just have to schedule our transportation around the schedule of the "Transit Authority", wherever we choose to go.

Then, we truely all will be a part of a dying breed....

#29 ·
Well Boy,s here,s my 2 cents. I have read all of the above and there were many valid points made from different members. I know when i was a kid growing up there were 3 definative groups the sports jocks the gear heads and the real scholastic type .This is not to say that the others were lacking in any way but our interests differed . Most of the guys i hung out with were all gearheads and are proffessionall tradesmen today carpenters plumbers electricians and mechanic,s. I. can remember as a kid the cool guys in my neighbor hood that we used to watch work on thier cars and this is how we got the car bug. Jimmy B had a 49/50 MERC , Vinny C had a 49 Chevy coupe with a 265 souped up and Chucky M .had the best and fastest a CADILLAC powered Studebaker. I don,t think that our hobby will die but that it will evolve. I think it will become really hi tech. I personally am a purist an old school hot rodder . Recently i was at at a cruise where i saw a 57 chevy powered with all new LS running gear , that car looked like it rolled off the assembly line that way . The guy C J that built it did a firstclass job of it.Ofcourse it was upgraded everywhere else also brakes steering etc but the car itself remained as it was dash interior etc and i realy liked what i saw. This brings us to another subject the money involved in our hobby. Growing up the average kid could afford to buy and hop up a car , today its very expensive even if your doing the current late model stuff. We are fortunate in my group in that we have all owned most of our stuff for years and we all have a cache of old stashed parts engines trannies heads etc . so we borrow from each other when we need parts and only buy when necessary. I do think that there are less of us gear heads today only because of the fact that everything now is HI TECH. verses 40 /50 years ago and this is what the kids grow up with. I think it will go on although we will fade away and at some point everything except what is in museums will be powered by much later stuff than we know. For example someone i n 2075 that is building a Model A Ford will power it With the latest 4 cyl .One thing is for certain I sure as Hell won,t see it although if there is a HEREAFTER we may see it. Anyway these are my thought,s and something to think about . Alex

#33 ·
With the right tools anything is possible...

#34 ·
True... my point being that is what's coming. Far, far down the road, but it's coming.

Setting up our annual outdoor show in June this year, there was a young guy looking at the first few cars that showed up early. Classic muscle cars and the like. He was helping one of the vendors.
He was checking my car out and I feel obligated to be near by when someone does that in case they have questions. Just because he had his flat-brimmed hat on backwards and his shorts were around his ankles, chains dangling all over the place, it didn't deter me at all. In fact he made me WANT to talk to him about the car.

We talked for a solid 30 minutes about classic cars. He had some wrong information that I was glad to correct for him and he was very appreciative. He surprised me. Did I stereotype? At first, sure. But like I said I walked right over to make myself available. And I was curious as to what he thought and what made him so interested because of his young age.
Turns out he prefers older cars and oddly enough wants a 1st Gen. :) I saw him a few times during the day all over the show field talking peoples ears off.

So the younger enthusiasts are out there. They're just few and far between.

#35 ·
I think the two deciding factors will be the government and fuel. I have already heard talk about applying current day fuel mileage standards to ALL cars. How many 60s muscle cars can get 30 miles per gallon? Secondly will we be able to get gasoline to run these cars on or will all that's available be some plant by product that our engines will not be able to burn?

#38 ·
I enjoy visiting with guys with similar interests generally, be that cars, sports, whatever, but I don't really care if people follow with what I do specifically in the hobby, I do it because I love it (love the abuse, lol). I also believe as long as there are cars there will be people modifying them.

I spend most of my "car time" in my garage or at buddies' houses and at the drag strip, I go to car shows but not a car show guy really. I have visited with lots of the younger guys with imports and there are guys building some cool stuff and posers, just like with our beloved muscle cars, so I appreciate what they do. I saw a 6 cylinder Lexus win the Outlaw 10.5 class we were competing in one year in Vegas....

And heck, I thought I was a dying breed because I didn't buy a crate motor or an LSx for my car.... ;)

#39 ·
And heck, I thought I was a dying breed because I didn't buy a crate motor or an LSx for my car.... ;)
LOL. Now that is funny stuff right there :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.