Team Camaro Tech banner

anyone usin shorty plug with pro topline heads

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  68rs406 
#1 ·
I am having some issues with plug clearance on my 383 ci ,s10. I have the pro topline angle plug heads and sanderson shorties with 1 3/4 primaries.I didn't see an accel plug listing that fit the toplines requirement,s. the suggested plugs do go in ,but no room for a plug boot! I thought about using an old header flange as a spacer if I can't find a short plug to use

#2 ·
i'm using ngk v power plugs, they are about as short as the accel plugs everybody uses. i'm running 1 3/4 long tube hooker super comps, w/ pro action angle plug heads, and they work great. one suggestion though, the plug they reccomend is a very cold heat range, so unless your compression is up there, i.e. 12:1 plus, or are running nitrous, you'll do better with a slightly hotter plug. the plug requirements are really just a 3/4 reach, washer seat plug, pretty common really. just take the number they reccomend to a spark plug website, such as ngk, and start cross referencing. also, for reference, i'm currently running an ngk # R5671A-7 in my 11.6:1 406, w/ the 220 cc pro heads. hope that helps

#3 ·
68rs406
im useing the same headers as you and GM z/28 2.02 angle plug heads [1970 over the counter heads] and have a clearence problem with the spark plug boot on no.3 cylinder big time. i have to use high temp socks on 3 other wires too because of clearance problems. i use the accel shortys also but your right the NGK V power are ALMOST as short.
richards problem could be the wrong headers......i found out after that there is certain types of headers that fit angle plug headers better.......headman i think???

#4 ·
good point, z27. that thought had crossed my mind.(apparently it was just passing through ;) ) my #3 plug is also close. its real tough to get started with a socket, had to make a "custom" plug socket for it. once in and tight, clearance is close but no burning issues at all. the rest are fine as far as clearance. it very well could be a header issue.

#6 ·
hey, good luck. after looking back at your post, i see you say the reccomended plugs (champion c57 i believe?) did fit, but leave no room for plug boots, i would bet the shorty type plugs will take care of the problem. i'm pretty sure i would have a problem at #3 if i used a standard length plug. hope you find success

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.