Team Camaro Tech banner

1969 z11

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  RPOZ11 
#1 ·
I was working on my Camaro the other day and a 17-year old kid pulls up in this 1969 Z11 :eek:. Turns out the kids mom gave him the car. The transmission is sticking in 3rd gear sometimes. He asked me to look at it (got my name from a local car guy). Turns out his shifter needed the bushings replaced and linkage adjusted.
Anyways, took a few pictures of it. Has rust, but very restorable.

See less See more
#5 ·
Car appears to be pretty original. Still has the original hurst shifter, spiral rear shocks, orange houndstooth interior. Check out the rear springs. Told the kid (Tyler), that he needs to replace the rear springs before driving it anymore. Couple more pics.

#6 ·
Turns out the kids mom bought the car in New Jersey in the early 70's. Yes, the car has been sitting for years. The engine runs surprising well for just throwing in a battery. Gave Tyler some bushings and showed him how to adjust the shifter. I would have done it for him, but I already had three cars to work on that day.
Told Tyler he could call me if he has any problems adjusting the shifter. I'm sure he'll come by again. When/If he does, I'll be sure and take more pictures.

#8 ·
Mom's gotta be 60 or so if she bought it in the early 70s. Turning a 17 year old loose with a car that has been sitting so long is a recipe for disaster. Maybe you can get the opportunity to take the young man under your wing. Get that car off the road until it's safe to drive.

#10 ·
Awesome story!! I hope the same and this car is not destroyed or cut up. Definately rebuildable! Cars like this and people like I dream to have one. Not very often you get to see a car like this. Going to keep a close eye on this one to see what direction he chooses. Thanks for sharing Daryl!

#12 ·
"396, M20. Tried to get pictures of the axle and transmission stamps. Here's the numbers off the transmission and rear axle.

BS 0324 G2
E

19N621355
P9C18A"

Nice to see that reverse lock-out linkage was present.

P9C18A vs the 03D build date on the trim tag;
Nice to see the close build date to #'s.
This car's #'s show how busy GM was at that time.

What is the history on this Pace Car?

Attachments

#16 ·
Not to hijack this thread,

The VIN below ending :

610726 is the highest vin.

On this list, were any built 03D?

Back to this thread...

Will you be informing this person, to stop, and reflect on what he has here?

Would be a good candidate to clean up in an as un-restored original.

What will this person be doing with this car now and in the future?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.