Team Camaro Tech banner

Adjusting door hinges

23K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  japper 
#1 ·
Is there a good way to hang doors and adjusting their hinges? I am installing doors on my 69 and both the doors and hinges were off so I don't have a starting reference point to align to...

The Fischer Body book says that the post adjustments are for forward/backward/up/ down and the door adjustments are in/out, but does each hinge need to be adjusted independantly or both at the same time?

What hinge adjustment do I start with? Is there and written instructions with pictures to be found or is this one of those things a person just has to figure out by doing it?

Thanks for any help on this.

#2 ·
the best way to do it is with the fender off.this allows easy access to the bolts on the cowl.its pretty much move it a little at a time till it fits.i would adjust the forward/backward on the cowl first until you get nice gaps between the fender and quarter.your going to have to keep putting the fender on and taking it off to check,unless you can sneek your hand in to reach the bolts.if you can reach one or to bolts with the fender on,try adjusting with a floor jack and a block of wood under the door frame.then tighten the bolts you can reach. this should hold the door until you take the fender off to tighten the rest.then adjust the in and out adjustment on the door until it looks good.you may want to remove the striker until you get the door where you want it then put it back.door adjustment can be very time consuming and frustrating,especially if you have more than one panel to adjust.it took me days to get my nose adjusted properly after removing it and adding a new rad support. good luck! http://members.spree.com/entertainment/ochrisl/

------------------
68 camaro,hugger orange ,white stripes.327 4 speed.

#3 ·
With the fender off and the door striker out, put the door in the hole, get all the bolts started, and the gap between the rocker and door is about 7/16", door to 1/4 gap is about 3/16". I use a pickle fork, bring the front edge of the door to the front edge of the rocker, get your 7/16 gap and tighten the front bolt of the lower hinge. Now, open the door to as to bring the hinges and door parallel , lift up on it, and tighten the forward bolt of the top hinge. Close door, look at you door height in the rear and gap between 1/4 and door. If you need more or less gap between door and 1/4, move the bottom hinge what ever way you need it. If the door is too high or low at the 1/4, move the top hinge forward or back. Once you get those gaps, look at how the top and bottom of the door fits the 1/4. If you want the bottom of the door to move in, move the top hinge on the door out so as to create more gap between the hinge and the outer shell and visa versa for the bottom hinge. Once you get the door fit to the 1/4s, fit the fenders to the doors. You will have to do this alot, and it takes alot of time and patience, and good luck.

------------------

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.